Spam: Input requested

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by valanhb
One question for all of you....

Would you still post the "Congrats", "Happy Birthday", "Welcome to TCS" and "Cute Kitty!" if they didn't count toward post counts?
Yes, I would. And I would want people to do the same for me. It means a lot to me when someone says those things to me and I like to do the same for others.

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying, "Welcome!" or "cute kitties." If anything, it is part of what makes this board friendly and more like a big family!

I don't care if the spam thread stays or goes either. LIke I said, I haven't posted in there for a while. I know there are people who have in upwards of 7000+ posts in just a few months and most of those posts have been in the spam thread. I guess I feel that is a little over board but I don't want to be the judge.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't personaly care for the spam thread . But I guess I am some what guilty I do bump up almost every day the donation for the free gift for animals ( the click thing ). Or if I cant answer a need of some one , in hopes that some one more experiencet will see it faster to help the person in need .

coco maui

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That thread to click to feed the animals is a little different because it is for a good cause.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont bother with the spam thread anymore, because I would rather focus on things like DT, giving positive thoughts to those who need it, etc.
I will still say happy birthday etc even if it doesnt put up my post count - I mean, its the quality, not the quantity that counts.

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Daily thred? That doesn't sound too bad. You can keep your chat with friends on this site and not have an overly large unless thread that has been running for years.

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to be short and to the point in my posts. Sometimes a few words are all I can think of writing.
I am against using spam to raise the count.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a very long time, someone, anyone really, started a Daily Thread to kind of get chat going for the day. We had a new one each day, and to me it was a good place for chit chat. It really is/was a TCS tradition. It seems funny to me that people with 2000+ posts aren't aware of it, which I guess is pretty much my point.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A long time ago we also had for late nighters, night owls, insomniacs the Coffee Klatch where we pretty much just got to know each other. I could have the name wrong as it was a long time ago- but it too was a fun thread

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love the daily thread - it keeps us updated and its one of the first threads I look at.

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by hissy
A long time ago we also had for late nighters, night owls, insomniacs the Coffee Klatch where we pretty much just got to know each other. I could have the name wrong as it was a long time ago- but it too was a fun thread
I remember that stuff because I lurked for a very long time before I joined!

Personally, I don't really agree with the spam thread, but I would not change my posting habits if there were a character limit. Sometimes, words escape me, and I can only write "hugs
" or something small, but I think that is better than nothing at all for a friend in need. Therefore, I would still post the little things, but not in the interest of getting my post count up. I don't know my post count right now... lol. I really don't care, as long as I have nice people to talk to.
I think I have about 800 on this board (I can't see the little thing before I post, lol). I'll be happy when I hit 1500, so I can have a title, but I don't post unless I have something with a purpose to post about. (Did that make any sense?)

systemxpert

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I don't have 1000 posts, but I read alot of threads on this board and I think the spam threads to up the post count is silly. Granted there are plenty of silly posts on this board, (Like my pictures of Yoda fatting around the house). However, spam threads to up the post count don't offer anything legitimate.

I am a member on other boards and some would refer to this as "trolling". That is people just posting stuff to get a response or posting to just to get others to continue the post on the same thread.

The software that runs this board is written in standard php that clones the originial UBB code from the late 1990s. (I'm referring to the code not the look or design of the board) I don't see a problem unless you have a limited amount of space in your database. So the only question is does it bother people or affect system performance?

Maybe there should be a new rule. It does seem a little strange that a person is only allowed a very small signature line that advertises a cat related business. Yet you can fill the board with posts just to up your count ????

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've thought about this before but maybe there should be a TCS chat room. The conversations in the spam thread seen to be more instantly interactive like a chat room anyway.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't care if the spam thread stays or goes. Maybe individual members who are obviously spamming just to raise post counts should get a warning in a PM?????????

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Guys.

I use the Spamming Thread to relax and to talk with friends, It doesn't matter that I have a high post count, because I do, but it's not going to make me "cool" or anything I have just made alot of posts.

I for one would be sad if the spam thread goes..

Oh well..

sylent rayne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You don't need to get rid of the Spam thread, because the mods can go in and make that thread where NO posts count towards the over all count.

I know it is possible as I've seen it done before.

I personally love the Spam thread. I can chat about whatever without feeling as if I have a topic I must follow.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mm Yeah.. It would be cool if it was on "no post" it still good to go and have a chat alot of people are not there for rising their post count anyway..

And alot of people here are former spammers
and of course there are the those of us who still are

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just want to reiterate that none of us have any problem with a thread of just general chit-chat where topics can change on a whim, where you can just relax and have fun and get to know each other.
The main issue that we are asking about is the one word or letter posts that are made ONLY to boost the post count that a member has. And, honestly, the length of the current Spam Thread makes it nearly impossible for us Mods to keep track of.