So everyone is asking...What the heck happened?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

As for the backups. The two backups systems that we had failed. We are paying a monthly fee to our host for daily backups of the server that are kept on another machine altogether. And that failed too. Computers - go figure
A couple of years ago my hard disk "died". I wasn't too worried, because I'd been doing regular backups. Guess what - the diskettes I'd been using for backups were defective, and I lost several years' worth of grades. Thank goodness for hard copy!

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

If there hasn't been a post for a while -- and sometimes that's not very long if there's a lot of activity on the board -- the thread can fall far enough down the list to become invisible. So, a "bump" adds a post which shoots the thread back up to the top of the list where it can be readily seen by folks who might have missed it earlier.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I finally understand! You explained it well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's an interactive forum, meaning any post that is dormant if someone replies to it, no matter when it was posted, it comes out its dormant state and becomes active, traveling to the head of the forum. Bumping is just a simple way to keep an important thread active and in the mainstream until the majority of the people have seen it-

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

It's an interactive forum, meaning any post that is dormant if someone replies to it, no matter when it was posted, it comes out its dormant state and becomes active, traveling to the head of the forum. Bumping is just a simple way to keep an important thread active and in the mainstream until the majority of the people have seen it-
Thanks MA, I finally understand now. It took me several attempts but I think I got it!!! LOL

pondwader

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I care very much about the posts.... It's so sad that such a wealth of valuble information was lost

I'm glad it's back up and running, and the number of posts beside my name doesn't matter to me. The quality posts that helped people and their pets are irreplaceable....