So everyone is asking...What the heck happened?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here it is in Anne's words taken from her daily Blog:

It all started with a minor upgrade that our admin suggested. It was meant to improve the speed of the forums and make them less susceptible to hackers. The estimation was zero downtime for the upgrade. So we went ahead with it.
Next thing we know, the forums are down. The upgrade was taking up more resources than originally anticipated. So, we waited for our good old server to pull through. Well, basically it didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t. It crashed during the process, corrupting our huge database.

This is when the red lights began to flicker and the siren went on… Now we had a crisis on our hands.

Let me try and explain a bit more on the technical aspects of this database. We are talking about a single file, which basically holds everything - all of the information in the forums since they were established four years ago. Every single post, member profile and PM. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s all there in this huge huge file. This file also contains the information telling the application how to build the database, which bit is a post and which is a user title etc. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s all in this one huge file. That file got screwed up…

So, now we had to resort to our backups. Yes, we do have a backup done every two days. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s an automatic procedure and the backup copy is kept on another machine. This is where things got even more complicated. For some unknown reason, our latest backup copy was also corrupt. It generated error messages and wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t just get uploaded into the forums skeleton as it was supposed to.

So now our admin had to take that backup copy, download it into his computer and open up the database in there. Then go through the database, table by table, and see what went wrong. A very long process…

So far, we have a working copy which is an older version of the forums. Uploading it would mean we would go back in time to an older copy of the forums. Many posts will be lost. Some members profiles will be lost as well
Not very good….

Our admin plans on trying to take the newer version of the forums (the one that is corrupt) and try to retrieve some of the newer information and put it back into the forums. This would have to be done manually. A painstakingly long process, that would not bring back all of the information.

Right now – this is where we stand now –
We are going to start by getting an older version of the forums to work. Just so we have some sort of working version. Then we need to decide between these two options –
a. open up again with an older version.
b. wait until our admin tries to “pour in†some of the more recent information into this version.

We will do our best to keep everyone updated here. Please do post all your questions here - I will make an update feed later today with a sort of mini FAQ trying to answer everyoneâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s questions.

Again, thank you all so much for your patience

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also just to let you know, according to the team on this problem, keeping us down to retrieve more information (posts etc) would heighten the likelihood of us crashing for a very long time-

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesnt matter of the new posts just as long everyone is back right???!!!
IF YOU ALL LOVE TCS!!!! YOU WOULDNT CARE OF THE POSTS, OR the number of posts

atleast we are all back and be a happy family again

spideycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ya'll keep the backup on the same hard drive as the origanal or did ya'll keep it off site?

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Yes, we do have a backup done every two days. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s an automatic procedure and the backup copy is kept on another machine. This is where things got even more complicated. For some unknown reason, our latest backup copy was also corrupt. It generated error messages and wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t just get uploaded into the forums skeleton as it was supposed to.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Then we need to decide between these two options –
a. open up again with an older version.
b. wait until our admin tries to “pour in†some of the more recent information into this version.
Having worked with computers for 25+ years now, I can relate to what is happening (have seen it too many times). Be cautious about "pouring in" some of the recent information. If any of that was corrupted, it can create the problem all over again and you will be back to square one. I hope you fully trust the folks that are doing this for you (and my empathy goes out to them at their task at hand).

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you all continue to add recovered information into the forums?

Spotz

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has been decided to not do that spotz- the risk is to great to attempt it. We need to deal with what is here now and build from here-

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The problem that will occur is that some folks will get back in and update their profiles, repost some things that were lost, and all at the same time that they are working on pushing the information in. It creates a tremendous conflict when you are trying to push up information that has already been updated by the users on the forum. Basically unmanageable and most likely not worth the time, cost or risk of doing it.

I'm happy you are back and in any form you can muster!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Amy for explaining it better than I could-

Another causuality will be the cat pages, so if you have made a cat page within the last 6 months it will not be showing up and you will have to recreate it.

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a nightmare for you guys. I really missed the forums, but it's good that you are all back. . . even if you are starting from square one.

Computers can be such a pain at times.

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is all reminiscent of what? Work! Geesh! I do not envy you guys at all, pulling databases back up is not fun, but it is highly rewarding when it works.

zanniesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the future, when there are special posts, like Pengy or Laila or Starlight, would it be possible for you to do a special backup so that something so wonderful doesn't get lost? Or is there a way for individuals to save their own thread if it is very important to them? Becky

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rest assured precautions will be in place along with the hope this never happens again-

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just like to add that this confirms my suspicions that upgrades never work! Lol... in my job they decided to upgrade the machine I work on... it hasn't been the same since, and the day it was upgraded, it died for a while. Sheesh!

I'm glad TCS is back up though!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
bump

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious... What ever it was that the admin was doing to speed up the board and stuff, did it work in the end? Since the board is up and running again. Or was that abandoned? It seems to me like the forums are running faster, but could that be cuz there is less info here?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyRage

Just curious... What ever it was that the admin was doing to speed up the board and stuff, did it work in the end? Since the board is up and running again, did the upgrade work in the end? Or was that abandoned? It seems to me like the forums are running faster, but could that be cuz there is less info here?
You know, I don't even know the answer to that one... We were so worried about getting them back online we totally forgot about the original reason for this upgrade.

As for the backups. The two backups systems that we had failed. We are paying a monthly fee to our host for daily backups of the server that are kept on another machine altogether. And that failed too. Computers - go figure