Sickly Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Arwen is dripping everywhere. I am in there cleaning as often as I can. However, her bum is so sore as is her vulva, she opts a lot of the times to just stay in the litter box, sleeping and everything.
I read about goat milk so I have added that to the formula they love and need to get some meat back on their bones.

But what to do with Arwen's sore bum? I tried a bit of baby zinc but she wanted to lick that off as soon as she could.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So this is the setup we have to keep the infected kittens separate from the adults IMG_20180728_090458.jpg
Jules goes in from the cupboard on the right and dotty from the front. How do I keep the big cats out?

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor Arwen...still dripping, her bum is so sore and her leg is crusted from the poo. I give her a daily bath but man this is so hard. IMG_20180729_110518.jpg IMG_20180729_110509.jpg
Look at the poor nuggets.

Starting the next assault on this bloody thing tomorrow and then next week the final fase and hopefully we've beat it

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The zinc seems to do something. I am just sad that I hardly see any progress and sometimes a decline. Tauriel has started vomiting, Mitch is sneezing.
Arwen is also crying most of the time. I held her in a towel to give her some comfort and she was trembling.
I am gutted these baby's have to go through this

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Arwen as she sits most of the time. She'll fall seep there as well.....
IMG_20180729_215555.jpg

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Arwen went from yellow to brownish poop:banana1:
Still dripping everywhere but it's changing color. Today we start the metrazol to kill this bug. Keeping it together

Oh and a picture of our oldest(blackberry, dumped on the side of the road) and youngest kitten(shadow, found in a yard with huge tapeworm) and a Bowie.
IMG_20180730_104437.jpg IMG_20180730_104445.jpg

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm Shadow is developing diarrhea:doh2:

Just an isolated case or could she be exposed? She only had contact with Berry and two youngsters from last year's rescue The other two found kittens sometimes throw up as well. It could have to do with their not so ideal living conditions in the barn. I plan on bringing them inside into an extra room I have, however Kopa eats there as well.
Should I go ahead or keep the little ones in the barn which I think is making them feel bit sick.
Btw I am giving another round of deworming this week.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went ahead and moved the barn kittens to our back room. They are much happier, Kopa is not:biggrin: but he can go up.
I am keeping an eye on every kitten like a hawk:cool2:
Arwen has gained weight, nearly 100 grams over 4 days. I also saw her playing and she's cuddling with her buddies. One more day of antibiotics, then a dewormer and then I hope we are done.
The goat's milk is a dream btw, the kittens love it! I wish I had tried it sooner, would have saved me some money:oops:

Oh and is anyone still reading here? I love updating because I can't talk to a lot of people about my cats. But just checking. I would feel silly talking to myself over here:running:

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Look at these nuggets:loveeyes:
IMG_20180802_154909.jpg
IMG_20180802_194730.jpg
IMG_20180802_194748.jpg
And the kittens who were found in a yard and lived in an aviary in the barn and now have a little cat room
Eomer
IMG_20180802_194554.jpg
IMG_20180802_194534.jpg
Eowyn
IMG_20180802_194600.jpg
IMG_20180802_194548.jpg

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They’re so cute!

Do you have a resource lined up to help you with spaying, neutering and vaccines? Even adoptions?

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. They're finally showing some improvement:lovecat2:
Not really a shelter that will help with the costs. I am gonna try and have them spayed and neutered as early as possible, however, early spay is not very well known here. Our neighbour country does but that's a bit too much. Might take it up with my vet to see if we can come to an agreement.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has everyone had a round of the metronidazole? That usually cures the diarrhea.

Did the coconut oil work?

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I couldn't find coconut oil so I got some baby oil. Her bum is still red and bald from the poo. And I have to clean the setup at least twice a day with some spot cleaning in between.
They are on their sixth day of metro. Final day tomorrow and then I give them dewormer. The other kits have had their second round of dewormer yesterday. They are bright and doing well.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kittens are getting rambunctious, playfighting and climbing all over me when I'm in there cleaning, my legs and back have been thoroughly ornamented:lol:
However, Mitch has yet again caught my attention in being the skinniest of the bunch. He is 1079 grams and the rest are 1100 to 1400 grams.
He does eat and play and loves to get some cuddles. However he has thrown up twice today, just clear, milky substance. Any insight?:confused2:

Bluuuii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just read through the whole thread, I am amazed by what youre doing for these kitties! I am sad to hear Mitch might be getting worse again, I really hope he pulls through. Please do keep us updated!

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I separated Mitch from the others so I could monitor him. Started treatment with loads of food, synulox and got ingredients for 'kitten glop'. I just have to find the syrup, although my mom said pancake syrup works just as well.
Looking at the ingredients I just can't imagine what it would taste like for a kitten, well, actually I kinda can:crazy: but in human taste buds.
Do kittens eat it willingly? What does it look like when everything is mixed up and why these specific ingredients?

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today we found the poo is solidifying. Arwen has stopped dripping and her backside is a nice clean pink.
They had their last metrobactin on Sunday. Keep fingers crossed we beat this.
Now I gotta beat what ever is ailing poor Mitch. If anyone has any ideas, they are welcome:angel3:.
Oh and why is it so bloody hard to find corn syrup in this forsaken country...:frustrated:

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made a variation on Franny Syufy's glop using a bit of pancake syrup(because of Mitch's previous hypoglycemia) and by jolly he ate it.... I am a bit amazed, I mean the ingredients together sound so weird but he ate it immediately.
I got some extra medication from my vet friend to boost him and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully he'll grow up and a bit rounder than he is now