Should labour start soon?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've got a little predicament. Lucy's mom, Nica, had a litter of kittens and one (the one my cousin was going to adopt) isn't doing so well. It was a 7 kitten litter and this was the runt so I wonder if he/she is not getting enough nutrients from mom. I'm contemplating (if it makes it Til the morning) to take the little one in and see if Lucy will nurse it, and help. Because she still has some milk regardless of being spayed (pepper is a spoiled boy and sneaks in a suckle every once in a while) so she may be able to feed the little guy.

Should we go through the hassle and potential heart break for this little one in case he pulls through? I'm so torn. :(

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Axelsangel what a beautiful kitty! I love the Lynx breed.

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just emailed me saying she doesn't think the kitten will make the night :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
lindsaymae lindsaymae

Someone needs to try to supplement the kitten with formula ASAP. Can this be done?

It sounds like the kitten is starving to death.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've got a little predicament. Lucy's mom, Nica, had a litter of kittens and one (the one my cousin was going to adopt) isn't doing so well. It was a 7 kitten litter and this was the runt so I wonder if he/she is not getting enough nutrients from mom. I'm contemplating (if it makes it Til the morning) to take the little one in and see if Lucy will nurse it, and help. Because she still has some milk regardless of being spayed (pepper is a spoiled boy and sneaks in a suckle every once in a while) so she may be able to feed the little guy.

Should we go through the hassle and potential heart break for this little one in case he pulls through? I'm so torn.
I think you should help this kitten if you can, but I also think you should think twice about supporting this breeder.  I know you got Lucy from her and Lucy is a wonderful cat, but she let you take Lucy at 6 weeks.  That is WAY too young for a kitten to go to a new home.  She also doesn't seem to know how to supplement a kitten in need.  This just doesn't sound like responsible breeding to me.

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you should help this kitten if you can, but I also think you should think twice about supporting this breeder.  I know you got Lucy from her and Lucy is a wonderful cat, but she let you take Lucy at 6 weeks.  That is WAY too young for a kitten to go to a new home.  She also doesn't seem to know how to supplement a kitten in need.  This just doesn't sound like responsible breeding to me.
I definitely agree with you. She breeds her cat merely for profit from the kittens. We got Lucy out of her and she is amazing, but I've told her she shouldn't breed this cat as much and she just shrugs it off. When I mentioned us taking the kitten she said he wouldn't make it past a couple hours and I haven't heard anything. Such a sad situation when people are selfish and they put their pets at risk.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely agree with you. She breeds her cat merely for profit from the kittens. We got Lucy out of her and she is amazing, but I've told her she shouldn't breed this cat as much and she just shrugs it off. When I mentioned us taking the kitten she said he wouldn't make it past a couple hours and I haven't heard anything. Such a sad situation when people are selfish and they put their pets at risk.
Hopefully your cousin can find a healthier, happier cat to adopt. It's irresponsible to say the least.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you inquire if the kitten made it through the night? If so, you may want to see if you can save it.

This "breeder" needs to be reported and put out of business!

Last edited:

tinalee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First post here :-) I'm trying to post my own post but I can't figure out how to do that. It's not giving me one of the options but anyways I just wanted to say OMG! Those are some gorgeous cats and kittens! Breathtaking! And the picture with Mommy and Daddy and baby boy! So sweet! I have never heard of that breed but wow! Gorgeous. We had a chinchilla Persian, Leo! He was gorgeous however he came from a very very bad breeder. When we picked him up he was covered, absolutely covered with fleas! We took him to the vet immediately and they gave him a pill and then advantage and then I waited until the evening and took him to a groomer. He was one happy kitten after that! What a relief it must have been for him. I emailed the breeder and told her how I felt and her response was Advantage is a chemical, I'm not putting that on my cat's! Yes I agree some people feel that way & I know that there are some sad stories however, for the most part it works and if she doesn't want to use advantage she should be doing something at the very least! Like I said to her, you are a breeder and you should know better. Cats can die from being bit by lots of fleas and kittens especially! I reported her and the last I heard she was shut down. This was 15 years ago now but anyways it was heartbreaking because within less than a year of having Leo he was sitting in the kitchen and totally fine and then he let out a loud cry and just died on our kitchen floor. I rushed him to the vet but he had already passed away, and I knew it but I had to try. I was screaming at them to do mouth-to-mouth :-( LOL kinda silly but that's how I felt in the moment. They told me that he died from being inbred :-( and I wasn't surprised! But even know the breeder was terrible and Evil we got Leo and he was one of the greatest cats I have ever had! Anyway blah blah LOL first post and it's a novel LOL I was just reading all of this conversation and then saw the comment about is a breeder. Did the kitten make it? I always try and turn negative things and positive things so to speak so with this situation I would say she probably found someone who would pay more for the kitten so she just told your cousin the kitten wasn't going to make it. Hopefully that's what really happened! How someone can just sit back and let a kitten starve to death blows my mind! And it blows my mind but that some people are allowed to own pets none the less we breed them! Heartbreaking! Anyway, I will end this on a happy note and I can tell you all that your cats are absolutely gorgeous! And the kitten pictures of your little boy are so so so cute! Take care. PS when I figure out how to post something I will be posting asking about the cat I am fostering because she's pregnant. I think she might be in labor but early labor and I don't quite know what to do or expect. I mean I do because I've read a lot online and I am fully prepared with everything but I just don't know exactly what early stages of labor are because she's been acting funny for 3 days now but... Actually I'll shut up LOL and I will post if I can figure out how to do it. Sorry for the novel LOL

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your Leo. It's hard when you don't know exactly where they've come from.

I don't think she sold him to somebody else as none of the kittens have been called for yet, and she posted new pictures on Facebook of them, and the runt is no longer in the pictures. Heart breaking. I'll leave it up to my cousin if she wants a cat from this litter, or somewhere else. I've told her my opinion.

Do you know how far along your Queen is?
When Lucy went into labour it was as if she waited for us to get home. within ten minutes of us being there her water broke and then half hour later she as having heavy contractions. My advice is in the meantime make sure she had access to lots of fresh water!