Should labour start soon?

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 66 day pregnant queen Lucy and worried that she is not starting labour soon. Two days ago I noticed milk drops coming from her nipples so I thought she would be having the kittens that night. But nothing. Today when I got home she was crying through the door for me which she never does and since I've been around her she won't leave me alone!(this is not a bad thing[emoji]128514[/emoji]) she was meowing a lot which is unlike her. Just now she is also licking her privates too and it seemed a bit damp but may be because she is licking there. She is also stretching a lot too.
She is a Lynx point Siamese - an awesome breed of cat. Bred with a pure bred Lynx point.
This is her now

Looking for some positive advice! Also noticed that she looks a bit smaller so I think her stomach dropped. As well as we haven't felt the kittens move in a day

Last edited by a moderator:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The milk can come in up to a week before she gives birth.  But it sounds like she may be starting labor or having pre-contractions (like braxton hicks).  Be prepared to stay with her while she delivers

Do you have everything you need ready?

[article="31379"]Pregnant Cat What To Prepare For The Birth​[/article]  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for responding! I'm with her now. She's still kind of meowing every so often. She's purring and breathing somewhat heavily. Enough that I can see her tummy moving a lot as she breathes. She laid right by me on my bed and looks like she's trying so sleep now. Hopefully this is a good sign!!

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I have everything. I hope I'm not forgetting anything. I've given her quite a few options to have her kittens such as a few boxes with towels, some blankets down, and all in an un used room, quiet and warm. I have some kitten milk formula just in case. Sterilized scissors just in case as well. What would you suggest I get?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it definitely sounds like stage one labor. Is her tummy rippling every so often? If so, those are contractions. You'll probably have kittens within 24 hours! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it definitely sounds like stage one labor. Is her tummy rippling every so often? If so, those are contractions. You'll probably have kittens within 24 hours! [emoji]128571[/emoji]
Awesome! I read your thread about the stray cat you took in and I was hoping you would find this! What was your kitty's first sign? For the last hour or so she has been walking around meowing at me, and then went into her birthing box, and laid down for a bit. Then went into our office and crawled into a much bigger box, so we've emptied that and have now covered it so hopefully she likes that one now. She is really not much a vocal cat, so her meowing at me is very odd! I hope she is ok. She is also breathing very hard, you can see every breath she takes.

missalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat just had 6 kittens and what I noticed the most was her walking around a lot and as soon as she would lay down she would kick with her back legs. When she was ready she got my attention and I followed her to her nest and then her water broke and mucus plug came out. She started panting and then a few contractions and first kitten came out! It wasn't at all like I expected and she was a pro at it! She didn't even cry or anything just made some painful squeals. I guess it all depends on the cat! Good luck :) let us know how it goes

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat just had 6 kittens and what I noticed the most was her walking around a lot and as soon as she would lay down she would kick with her back legs. When she was ready she got my attention and I followed her to her nest and then her water broke and mucus plug came out. She started panting and then a few contractions and first kitten came out! It wasn't at all like I expected and she was a pro at it! She didn't even cry or anything just made some painful squeals. I guess it all depends on the cat! Good luck
let us know how it goes
Thank you!! How long after her walking around did she seem ready? I'll be sitting with Lucy by her nest and then get up to go to a different room and she just cries and follows me. I really don't think she wants me to leave her side.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat lay on my chest all night having contractions. I knew she was in pain but she was very quiet. Finally, she jumped up suddenly and ran into the guest room where her nest was set up in a closet, gave one loud meow, and birthed her first kitten. All cats handle labor differently. Some are quiet, some want you right there, others are crabby and hiss if you get too close.

Your cat sounds like she's telling you that it's time, and she's in pain. She wants you with her! She has apparently chosen a bigger nest she likes better, and good you fixed it up for her. The heavy breathing is due to strong contractions. You'll have kittens soon! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

missalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she was restless for about 7 hours. She was like your cat, refused to be alone. She did run up and down the stairs 4 times to get me to go see her in the nest lol. Also once her water broke she was still trying to follow me around so I made sure to sit right by the nest then. hopefully her being in the nest means it will happen today

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No kittens yet. Slept in my arms all night

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm. Maybe it was pre-labor then. Hopefully soon! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope so!! :) she didn't eat at all yesterday but she is now. Still meowing a lot though.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck!  I'm in the waiting game, too- so I'll be watching for your kittens! 

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome!! How far along is your momma? Ready for labour? I just dropped off my partner at his work and came back home and she snuggles right up in my arm. Her breathing is getting heavier but she's still purring. How's your queen?

lindsaymae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
all snuggled with her momma! Quite a difference from when she was two weeks old in my display picture with her papa!

missalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was still eating until she had the babies.. And she was also purring a lot because we were encouraging her during labor ! Your mama is close :) she will have gorgeous kittens that's for sure, she is such a pretty girl