She just started peeing and pooping under our bed after 18 years of using the litter box exclusively

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
The feliway isn't a sudden thing, it can take time to reasure a cat and I guess that's why they have the plug in last for 4 weeks feature, and some people use them almost continuously if they have cats that get illnesses triggered by anxiety like cysitis or feline herpese (expensive but effective).  It feels interesting that she is choosing to stay in the safetly of the crate and resting in the litter, esp given she wouldn't toilet in her litter at the start.  Much as it is frustrating and you want to offer her comfort it seems she finds the crate and litter reassuring for some reason.  Is she feeding in the crate too or will she come out to eat? It is maybe like introducing a cat to a new home where it has to be very gradual and that her companion not being there has left her feeling disoriented and confused, as well as maybe depressed?    I take it there is no sign of any other changes to indicate any physical illness still?    

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is almost funny that she prefers the litter box as a bed now.  Especially when I had brought it out of the crate this morning to clean it and while it was still sitting there outside of the crate, she got into it and peed there in front of me.  After I cleaned it again and returned it to the crate, she immediately climbed right back into it.

It used to be a routine that all of our cats got about a tablespoon or two of milk every morning in the kitchen.  She comes into the kitchen for that now and even asks for it, but as soon as she finishes it, she turns and runs back for the crate again.  I have put her feeder and her water into the crate with her and she eats and drinks in there also.  I'm glad we had the crate.  I don't know what I would have done without it.   She eats OK and drinks water regularly, but she seems to be losing weight now, though.

I don't think my husband will take her to the vet for that.  He will say that she is an old cat and probably ready to die.  Just let things take their course.  She seems to be content as it is, so don't go to extraordinary measures to prolong her life.  He's just that kind of man.  She's not in any pain now.  If she was and I told him she needed to go, he would do it then, but never on his own.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   For you - for loving and caring for Kodak. Don't you just wish we could read their minds and know what's in there so we could help them. How big is the crate?  Can you sit with her and stroke her, or would she not let you do that anyway?  It sounds good that she comes out for her milk at least.  It is so strange how it has developed.  I hope she settles a bit and starts to come out a bit more.
for her not loosing more weight.

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the hug.  I needed that.  The crate is one of the biggest ones.  Our great dane fits into it with plenty of room.  When Kodak comes out, she comes to me and wants up on my lap for a little while for some hugs and petting and then back down and into the crate.  I'm being cautiously optimistic about her now....

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
You're welcome to the hug, life's hard when you're worried about furbabies and don't know what to do.  It sounds like the crate is helping her a lot, and if she is slowly coming out a bit more this a positive sign. Patience, like she is moving in with you for the first time. 

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd hate to think she may have to live the rest of her days mostly in the crate, but it may well have to be that way.  It doesn't seem to bother her and it sure keeps me from having to clean up after her.  I also know where she is at all times.

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had the Feliway plugged in close to the crate for nearly a week now but there is no improvement in Kodak's attitude.  In fact, she exhibits a fearful, bewildered, lost,  attitude.  You can look in her eyes and see that she is afraid.  

I've spent the last two or three days researching feline dementia and have read a great many articles about it.  I don't think Kodak has a behavioral problem at all, but dementia after all.

She acts fearful when I take her out of the crate, like she doesn't know where she is.  I just don't understand how this disease can begin almost instantly and not be a slow progression over time.

While there are stages of dementia identified for humans, there are none identified in animals..at least none that I have been able to find so far.

It's heartbreaking to see my baby decline like this.  She was such a joy to me for so long.

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't had a vet diagnose Kodak with dementia, but she exhibits all the symptoms described in every article written at every website I visited.  I think it would be pointless to take her to a vet now unless she became ill and needed to go. I think it's safe enough for me to say that I honestly believe she has dementia. 

She is eating well and drinking plenty of water and using the litter boxes in the crate, so I know she is doing fine in the crate.

cccdlx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart.  What a tough thing to witness your baby going through.  At least she recognizes you and wants to be near you.  Since she doesn't like the blankets you've given her, maybe you could try putting some of your worn clothes with her?

Maybe she had a tiny stroke that you weren't aware of that started this.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I feel for you that this is what you are seeing and you believe she does have dementia.  You will know her best and will know what you see in her eyes: I knew with snowleopard when she suddenly became very unwell and although she had more physical presentations as well as her emotions and thoughts it was 'her being', 'her soul' that was the most obvious thing to me. I guess it could be dementia or some other form of brain injury / neurological cause and the important things are that you are confident and happy you are doing everything you can for her in terms of health / vet care, and that she is comfortable and calm, and if possible then happy in herself.

She is in a wonderful and loving home and I think she is blessed to be with you. You have put so much in to trying to find out what is wrong, and ways for her to feel better.  It sounds like the crate is offering her a feeling of safety, and she is able to eat and drink and toilet as she would want to so she is clean and dignified.  She is still sharing your space and feeling your love, it is just sad that she can not share more of your home with you without feeling frightened.  I hope you are managing to share plenty physical time with her and she is being lavished with cuddles and strokes.

If this is her condition my thoughts will stay with you, and may she feel calm and content with you for as long as she is healthy and able to share your love.  

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll have already set aside a few minutes at a time several times a day just to hold her and cuddle her.  That seems to satisfy her right now.  She will lay her head against my chest almost like a baby does its Mommy.  That's such a good feeling.

How can anyone not like a cat?  They might be independent creatures, but when they want to show you love, they really know how.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I believe people who don't love cats are missing something that they are unaware of, it is deep in their soul, and you are unfortunate if you have to spend a lot of time with them.  Especially those who do not love any animals.

Kodak sounds precious.  I hope you have many pictures of her through the years, and now when she is calm and laying on your chest. That sounds so lovely sitting with her like that. 

I was thinking about how Kodak was when you first found her, and whether there was any infomration on the long term effects from high level exposure to any of the main chemical ingredients. I wondered if there were any particular long term health concerns.  It's difficult though as the ingredients have changed over the years and with their different products.  I couldn't see anything definite, and it wouldn't really help, but there was one mention of questions about parkinsons and alzheimers links for one of the ingredients.  

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hadn't thought about the connection to Raid having a connection to her condition because I had found feline dementia common on elderly cats, but it is a thought.  You've sent me on a journey now.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry if it has troubled you.  Dementia is not uncommon in cats, it is just that Kodak seems to have had such a sudden change and pretty severely affected.  There would be no way to know if it was related but if it is dementia it gives a possible reason why she may have developed it.  I don't know what the earlier 'mental' problems were that Kodak has had but assume the vet didn't think they might be related to dementia or other neurological disease.

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can understand why the vet thought is was probably behavioral since her tests were normal.  Kodak hadn't been to the vet in several years.  She's been the picture of health.

Maybe I'll give the office a call and give them a report of what I've noticed.  I'm not sure they're interested, though.  Maybe I'll just write a note instead.

My husband's dog has to  be neutered soon and they will be doing it--he's cryptorchid.  Perhaps they will remember our family more if we spend more money with them.

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been quite awhile since I've been here.  Many things have been going on, to keep me away from my computer.

Anyway, Kodak is coming out into the room more and more  and even talking quite a bit lately.  My major concern now is that she is losing weight rapidly.    She has a skin infection from flea bites and is taking an antibiotic the vet prescribed a couple of days ago.  When I examined her, I could not find a flea on her anywhere.  We had always fed our cats dry, but she is now eating 9-Lives wet in hopes of making her gain some weight.  I've read about a lot of other tricks and may even end up using kitten food if I have to.  Since she is 18 now, though, I don't know how easy it will be to make her gain very much weight.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It is lovely to hear Kodak is feeling a little more secure and venturing in to the room more often.  Strange that she seems to have a reaction to flea bites but no sign of fleas?  Did the vet say anything about her weight, or what effect the antibiotic  might have on things like her apatite? Hopefully the infection will clear up quickly and fingers crossed for that one, and the wet food should help to keep her hydrated as well as being more nutritious than kibble.  

It might be worth posting a new thread in the Nutrition section if you would like advice on how to try and get her weight up, or at least stabilise it? 

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll keep you updated about her condition.  I don't understand her infection, either;  although she had a place on her back she was always licking that never showed obvious signs of being anything.  I hate to sound so cynical, but when doctors need a diagnosis for an elderly person, they give them one called "urinary tract infection".  I've experienced this over and over.  When our vet needs an easy one for our animals, she blames it on fleas.   Our dogs and our house are flea free and Kodak was flea free.

Yes, I hear you.  We need a different vet.  Yes, we will get one soon.  But right now, this one is close and we have to go to there or not go at all.

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BTW, the vet said nothing about her weight. 

When the antibiotic gave her diarrhea and vomiting and I called the office, a different vet called me back and told me to give it to her in wet cat food instead of directly administering it down her throat.  It's the first time one of their vets has ever made a return call to me.  Today she has only nibbled her food since it had the medicine in it.  I think giving her a pill might have been easier.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
No lectures from me on what you should or shouldn't do about your vet, you are the one that knows your situation and whether there are or are not choices in the area you live in.  

I feel even more  strongly that what I do recommend is starting a thread in the Nutrition forum as the people using that forum have had great adviceon issues like this and it could really help you.  There are members and people on the site team who have a tonne of experience and tapping in to that could make a huge difference to Kodak, and give you a whole load more ideas what to do to try and get some nourishment in to her.  It isn't something I have ever had to do and I know it is a real struggle to keep coming up with ideas, trying them and not knowing what to do next.

If you don't feel you can go over things to start a new thread  let me know.