She just started peeing and pooping under our bed after 18 years of using the litter box exclusively

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's another update about Kodak.  She urinated in the litterbox in the crate, but then she slept in it.  I found a website called "thenest.com" that has a pet link.  They suggest that when an old cat sleeps in a dirty litter box, they are close to death.

When I called the vet's office for a copy of the lab test results, they were hesitant to release them to me.  I didn't see a urinalysis identified on my invoice that I paid and I questioned their itemized statement that said l. Office visit, 2. T4Cholesterol, 3. Pre-surgical Profile-Abaxis, and 4. Clavamox which was the antibiotic.  I asked where was the urinalysis identified.  The tenician said "A urinalysis wasn't performed.  Only blood tests.  They checked her kidneys."  He is mailing the test results today.

She seems to be content in the crate.  It's big enough for me to get into it with her and I have done that several times.  She likes that and snuggles close to me.  Geez, I hope she's not on her way out.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My girl snowleopard had brain tumours although they did not present any symptoms until she was suddenly very disabled: I could best describe her as 'no longer being there' when I looked in her eyes.  For her it was very sudden and she lost the ability to walk, or vocalize, and her balance wasn't there.  She was also completely blind apparently.  I knew it was a massive neurological event, maybe a major stroke.  She was vet phobic and hadn't been seen by a vet for many years.   What happened with snowleopard was that one of many tumours suddenly pressed on a bit of her brain that made a very substantial impact..  A small bleed or stroke affecting one bit of the brain could have a very specific effect.  That is the only time I have seen a cat urinate and lay there getting wet, not knowing what to do.  In a way something like a little stroke or other brain event makes more sense than dementia if you have suddenly noticed this behaviour and there have not been other changes or issues.  It is definitely worth talking more with your vet and asking them about it. 

The crate sounds good for Kodak, a place where she is safe and can still have contact and cuddles.  I didn't have a crate and if I dozed off even for a few moments snowleopard could crawl and end up falling off things or getting on to rugs that I wanted to keep clean.   What I did use was a washable picnic blanket that had a waterproof back so I could hold her with me when I was sitting on my sofa or on my bed for a while.  

Is she still eating and taking fluids?  From your recent post it sounds as if she is comfortable and content which is a big positive. If she is comfortable and content,  and taking food and fluids it gives you time to find out what is causing this and to see if things can improve for her.  I find great comfort even now thinking back about my snowleopard.  However long I would have had her in her disabled ways, if she had been able to eat and drink I know she would have been content and wanted to be held and loved, not frightened and in pain. 

Big big vibes for you all that this is something she can recover from and you find ways to help her.  

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, MServant.  I read your post with such empathy for you and your little snowleopard.  I know it's so hard to lose a pet.  We've lost one to kidney disease and another to cancer of the breasts and one to a cancerous tumor in her mouth.  But after 50 years and many pets, we've been bound to lose a few.

When I got Kodak, she couldn't have been more than a month or so old.  She was under my MIL's house.  MIL had heard her cries and although she says she didn't know what "that animal was", I believe she did. She hates cats.  She sprayed a full can of Raid at her trying to get "it" to either leave or die.  I really believe you can identify a kitten's cries.  She belonged in jail, in my opinion.  (Maybe her dementia is payback.)

The little thing crawled up onto her front porch nearly dead where we found her and brought her home.  I managed to keep her alive until I got her to the vet and although she's had mental issues for her 18 years, she's still been a good cat to me.

At any rate, Kodak is eating and drinking a little and  did use the litter box in the crate.  I'm really hopeful she will be OK in the long run.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a hard start Kodak had, she is so lucky to have had her home with you ever since. Your MiL sounds like an 'interesting' woman, I had a grandmother who I suspect might have been of similar character. Thankfully she never met any of my cats.

I will keep thinking of you and sending positive vibes that she shows signs of improvement and that you have some helpful conversations with your vet.  

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are being politically correct, I think, or polite, maybe?  

Thanks for the good vibes.  They're coming in well.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
  Polite?  Politically correct?  Moi?   
      I'd hate to upset your DH by saying anything too awful about his mother.  I do have a reputation for being annoyingly on the fence sometimes though!  I think it is safe to say I saw very little of my grandmother when growing up.  She was no friend to animals or children, and worryingly possessed some kind of shot gun at one point!  

I really do hope it's a stress thing or maybe localised neurological thing for Kodak which you could then see improvement with as you follow the advice from your vet along with keeping her in the pen so she knows exactly where she is.

Keep us updated.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Here's another update about Kodak.  She urinated in the litterbox in the crate, but then she slept in it.  I found a website called "thenest.com" that has a pet link.  They suggest that when an old cat sleeps in a dirty litter box, they are close to death.

When I called the vet's office for a copy of the lab test results, they were hesitant to release them to me.  I didn't see a urinalysis identified on my invoice that I paid and I questioned their itemized statement that said l. Office visit, 2. T4Cholesterol, 3. Pre-surgical Profile-Abaxis, and 4. Clavamox which was the antibiotic.  I asked where was the urinalysis identified.  The tenician said "A urinalysis wasn't performed.  Only blood tests.  They checked her kidneys."  He is mailing the test results today.

She seems to be content in the crate.  It's big enough for me to get into it with her and I have done that several times.  She likes that and snuggles close to me.  Geez, I hope she's not on her way out
Just because she's sleeping in a dirty litter box doesn't mean that they're on their way out necessarily.  I don't know how many times I've seen kitties in cages at adoption days sleeping in their litter boxes.  Perfectly healthy cats, but it's a place that feels relatively secure to them in this stressful situation.  The foster kittens that I had did this initially.  On the other hand, when my old cat has been ill she just sits uncomfortably out in the open of the sofa.  All of them are different.  I'd recommend getting some sort of cave-type bed for her that is completely enclosed with a small opening.  She will probably go to that warm, secure spot for refuge instead of sleeping in her box.  Of course, at her age it is always possible that she feels as though the end is near.  It's difficult to tell with kitties though- you can ask for advice from everyone on here, but no one knows her as well as you do.  If you truly believe that she's nearing the end of her life the only thing you can do is give her any necessary medical treatment, make her feel as comfortable and secure as possible, and, if necessary, make the tough call to let her go.  I think that consulting the vet, keeping her in the crate for her sake and yours, and putting in the feliway plugs are the best measures to take.  Just make sure that you give her plenty of love during this time, especially since she seems extra needy!

I understand the stress that you're going through.  My elderly kitty turns 18 next month, and I started having some litter box issues with her a couple of months ago.  Got them resolved, but now she's having stomach problems and has gone out of the box again.  Went to the vet today, and i'm waiting on the bloodwork.  They're so rewarding in their younger days, and we have to reward all of that joy that they provide us by caring for them into their old, unhealthy years. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Just because she's sleeping in a dirty litter box doesn't mean that they're on their way out necessarily.  I don't know how many times I've seen kitties in cages at adoption days sleeping in their litter boxes.  Perfectly healthy cats, but it's a place that feels relatively secure to them in this stressful situation.  The foster kittens that I had did this initially.  On the other hand, when my old cat has been ill she just sits uncomfortably out in the open of the sofa.  All of them are different.  I'd recommend getting some sort of cave-type bed for her that is completely enclosed with a small opening.  She will probably go to that warm, secure spot for refuge instead of sleeping in her box.  Of course, at her age it is always possible that she feels as though the end is near.  It's difficult to tell with kitties though- you can ask for advice from everyone on here, but no one knows her as well as you do.  If you truly believe that she's nearing the end of her life the only thing you can do is give her any necessary medical treatment, make her feel as comfortable and secure as possible, and, if necessary, make the tough call to let her go.  I think that consulting the vet, keeping her in the crate for her sake and yours, and putting in the feliway plugs are the best measures to take.  Just make sure that you give her plenty of love during this time, especially since she seems extra needy!

I understand the stress that you're going through.  My elderly kitty turns 18 next month, and I started having some litter box issues with her a couple of months ago.  Got them resolved, but now she's having stomach problems and has gone out of the box again.  Went to the vet today, and i'm waiting on the bloodwork.  They're so rewarding in their younger days, and we have to reward all of that joy that they provide us by caring for them into their old, unhealthy years. 
Come to think of it, it is pretty common at cat shows to see most of the cats doing just that, preferably not once it's been soiled but it is their spot of choice strangely enough.

I may be unusual but I found my girls grew on me with age and I absolutely doted on them by the time they were pensioners, especially the girl that stayed with me for over 21 years. She was frail for many of her later years but stuck with me, and I am hoping Kodak will stick funnierthanyoufor as long as she is comfortable. 

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

You paid for lab tests. You have a right to copies of them. In fact, a lot of us on here keep copies of all test results just in case we need to see an emergency vet or other vet. If you want to post them here, you will get some feedback. Here's a guide to interpreting results as well. http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresource...ient-education/understand-diagnostic-test.pdf
(This link is great vball91, I have been looking for something like this for a spell now - thanks for it.)

funnierthanme, prayers for your baby Kodak to feel better soon.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Come to think of it, it is pretty common at cat shows to see most of the cats doing just that, preferably not once it's been soiled but it is their spot of choice strangely enough.

I may be unusual but I found my girls grew on me with age and I absolutely doted on them by the time they were pensioners, especially the girl that stayed with me for over 21 years. She was frail for many of her later years but stuck with me, and I am hoping Kodak will stick funnierthanyoufor as long as she is comfortable. 
My kitty has definitely grown more affectionate as she got older.  She used to despise and hide from everyone that wasn't me or my dad, but she's gotten more ok with strangers being around.  She even lets them touch her sometimes. 

Don't get me wrong, she's still a horrid, mean creature most of the time.  She's just into loving on me more often, and occasionally meets someone that she doesn't hate.  I should feel bad describing her that way, but that's just how she is

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

My kitty has definitely grown more affectionate as she got older.  She used to despise and hide from everyone that wasn't me or my dad, but she's gotten more ok with strangers being around.  She even lets them touch her sometimes. 

Don't get me wrong, she's still a horrid, mean creature most of the time.  She's just into loving on me more often, and occasionally meets someone that she doesn't hate.  I should feel bad describing her that way, but that's just how she is
  I think I might have met your cat.... a big ginger boy that took a flying leap across a room and wrapped himself round my leg, then chomped in?  I had baggy trousers on and my leg was pretty chubby so his fangs didn't manage to get a grip. 

How's Kodak doing today?  Any change, or information from the test results?

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to laugh at the image I had of a big ginger cat wrapping himself around your leg and chomping down.  It reminded me of Kodak when she was younger.  If you got too close to her when she didn't want you to, she would slap you in the ankle with both front feet,claws out,  at the same time.  

She actually used the litter box in the crate today.    I took her outside for a few minutes, but she didn't want me to put her down.    I tried to post the lab test results earlier today but they don't show up, so I'll try it again now.  Let me know what you think, would you.  Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   Good to know my being mauled by a mini tiger brought a smile to your face!  Once I got him off he actually hunkered down and was going to go for it a second time!  Lovely boy.  Just as well I liked cats.  Quite a few of my colleagues at the time were pretty scared of cats and dogs, you should have seen their faces drain when I told them the story. 

The results there do all read as in normal but not particulalry wide screeing by the look of it.  The lower results all fall in normal but 2 could indicate some reduced liver function and the other if over hydrated.  Nothing particularly related to what your seeing from a novices eye.  I would want to talk with the vet again about her behaviours since you took her in, unless you did this already? 

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for checking the lab results for me.   I feel better about the vet now.  Since Kodak is using the litterbox in the dog's crate and I have the Feliway coming, I'll wait until I give the Feliway a chance to work it's magic before I make an appointment with the vet again.  I took her outside this morning and she roamed the backyard for about 30 minutes while I worked on our deck.  She seemed to be OK.

What else could it be other than the stress from the loss of her companion, even though they weren't the best of friends?  I know she's old, but this happened now, when out other cat disappeared.  I've read hundreds of reviews about Feliway and 98% of them are good ones.    I'm about to find out, too,

diegojames

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do believe that her behavior is due to that other kitty dying. I had a cat named Socks and one day we brought home him a buddy named Scamper. Scamper had mental problems a year later a week after Socks died of cancer. At least we thought at the time we thought it was mental problems because he had never peed where ever he wanted before! He was often hiding in under a stairs where a closet was and did something like a meowing cry! It hurt to see him do that. He seemed to only get worse finally my dad just shot him. My dad lied to me i was just a little 7 yr old at the time. My dad said that he brought him to a farm. I think now as i'm am now older he killed Scamper for now reason! He was just hurt that his best pal died!\

#DiegoJames

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Today sounds like it has been a bit better for Kodak, I hope so. Nice to be able to take her out and potter with her aound you. I have found Feliway helps every time I've used it, either as plug in or spray so hope it makes a difference for Kodak.  Fingers crossed she responds to it and feels better. 

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Diego, that's so sad.  Our parents do things we have no control over, especially when we're only 6 or 7.  Poor little Scamper lived such a short life and was misunderstood at the last.

At least  we live in a time now that so much is understood about the animal world we can get them help from one source or another when our parents had none of this available to them and made choices we would never have made.

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You still have feelings after all these years.  That's so sweet.

I wonder how everyone's parents found out about that farn?  Mine took animals there, too.

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't been here for several days, but there wasn't a whole lot I could tell you gradually that would make any kind of impact.

Since the Feliway has been here for 4  days, Kodak will come out of the crate and socialize a litte, but then she suddenly makes a quick dash back to the crate and into one of the little litter boxes.  She just won't lay in the blankets I've given her to lay on.  She usess both litter boxes in the crate, however.  It makes no difference to her which one she uses.  I just keep both of them clean any time I see she has used them.

How long before I  can expect the Feliway to produce some good results..like maybe she wold go back to her regular litter box  in the room where it has always been?

She seems to have made the crate her home  and actually prefers it to any other place in our home.