She just started peeing and pooping under our bed after 18 years of using the litter box exclusively

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In just the last four days she has gone under our bed to eliminate herself and when I caught her and tried to take her to the litter box to show it to her again, she splayed her feet out above it and fought me.

I've kept the litter box clean every time I saw litter in it.  It was never dirty.

She wants in our bed with us at night and that's a No-No".  When she is asleep, she falls off whatever perch she has chosen to sleep on.

About three weeks ago our other geriatric cat went outside on a warm day and sadly never came back.  She couldm't escape our fenced yard and someday we will find her carcass.  But, this cat and she weren't the best of friends anyway.  This behaviour can't be the result of trauma from losing the other cat.

Could this be simply from a urinary tract infection?  If so, will correcting the infection correct this behaviour?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She really needs a vet visit. There is most likely a medical reason for the sudden change in behavior. She is probably associating pain with the litter box. It could be a urinary tract issue or diabetes or kidney issues. It's really impossible to know without some tests. I hope it is something that is easily treatable. Many vibes for her to feel better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, vball91.  I thought it might be and I needed verification.  My husband can drop her off at the vet on his way to work in the morning.  Even though she's old, it doesn't mean you quit taking care of her.   She's still my "Baby".

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a urinary tract infection.  It's a good idea to have her checked out by a vet, normally if it is caused by a UTI, taking care of the UTI will take care of the inappropriate pottying.

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We went to the Vet this morning and the vet started her on antibiotics but, she is also testing her for thyroid disease.  She said that hyperthyroidism can also cause these symptoms.  She said if the urinalysis and thyroid tests are normal Monday when she gets the results, then we have a behavioral problem on our hands and a challenge ahead of us.

She's begun another thing now, too.   She wants to get into any small dark place she can find, like a low cupoboard if the door isn't shut, or a drawer if it hasn't been pushed all the way closed.

My husband isn't as patient as I am so I'm really hoping the antibiotics show some improvement in her.

It's so hard not to be able to communicate with your pet verbally and understand what is their problem so you can take care of it right away.  They look to you to "fix" it and all you can do it guess at it until you get it right.    Thank Heaven for places like this with those who have had the same experiences and are willing to share them to help anyone they can.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The hiding is also usually a sign of pain. I really think there's a medical causes here, whether it's an urinary tract issues, thyroid issues or diabetes. I hope the tests help you and the vet figure it out so that she can be treated and start feeling better.

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I left her hiding behind my CD's now.  I had found her  there three times already,and tried to put a blockade in front of that shelf, but she made it through again.  Since vball91 said it's a sign of pain to hide, I believe I'll just let her stay there.  Often, she wants on my lap when I'm here at the computer, and I let her stay here.  She wants cuddled more lately than usual.  She's always been very independent.  Whatever has hold of her really has a good grip.  It'll feel so much better when it doesn't hurt anymore.

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet called me awhile ago and had the test results already.  She said it was all normal.  So, we do have a behavioral problem on our hands now.  She said to first  put her in a small room with four litter boxes  (this will take a month) and at the end of each week, remove one of the boxes.  Keep her in that room for the entire time.  This will be noisy.  Kodak has always been a very vocal cat.  When she awakens, she wants everyone else in the house awake, too.  She'll make sure we hear her day and night.

If that doesn't work, I can try something called Feliway.  It dispenses a pheramone to relieve stress in a cat.  She believes this might be triggered by the loss of our other geriatric cat about three weeks ago.  They weren't the best of friends, but she's the only cat in the house now.

I asked her about her falling off anyplace she has designated as a perch (the aquarium, my computer tower, the  chest of drawers, anyplace high).  She didn't think it was medical.  She called it "lazy sleeping".

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was full blood work done, not just a thyroid test? Was diabetes ruled out? Normally, the urinalysis is sent to an outside lab, which produces more accurate results than an in house test. Also, blood work is sent out as well, so I'm surprised you got results back so quickly.

I still think there's a medical issue. What about arthritis?

If it is stress related from losing her cat companion, you may want to try the Feliway now rather than waiting for the litter box experiment.

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet just called.  She said the blood tests were normal.  I'm glad she got them back sooner than Monday,    Her suggestion to start is to put her in a small room with 4 litter boxes for a week.  After one week, remove one of the litter boxes.  Leave her for the next week with three litter boxes.  The following week, remove one more.  The next week remove one more leaving one.

If that hasn't worked,  I can try Feliway.  Those were the only two suggestions she had right now.

She thinks this might be triggered by the loss of our other geriatric cat about three weeks ago.  I had asked her about falling off her perches (any place she chooses to sleep, actually) and she didn't think it was related to anything medical.  She called it "sleeping lazy".

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have only one vet close enough to go to in this town and whether we like it or not, that is where we have to go.  She shaved some hair off Kodak's neck, drew some blood and said she was testing her thyroid and her urine, and charged me $108.00.  (That included the antibiotics, too, though).  She told me in the office that she wouldn't have the results until Monday, but I hadn't been home over an hour when she called me and told me the tests were normal.

I tried to call them back to ask if I should continue to give her the antibiotic medication and they put me on hold and never came back to the phone before they closed their office.  When they didn't return to the phone, I hung up and called again only to be put on hold again.  I don't feel comfortable at this vet's office now, but it has changed hands and we have no choice of any other place to go.

I'm going to continue the antibiotic anyway.  If there is an infectious process going on, no matter how miniscule, it needs treated.  I haven't bought the Feliway yet.  Her office wanted $48.00.  I believe I could find it a little less expensive someplace else.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age there's always something. I would be suspicious of any test results that didn't show at least mild kidney impairment. See if you can get a copy of the test results---what the vet calls normal might not be. Even if the blood tests did come back normal, that doesn't mean there isn't some other cause, like arthritis. When you get old, things happen. That's why they sell Depends :tongue2:. It might be hard for her to climb into the litterbox--try a shallower box or even puppy pee pads.

You can buy Feliway from Amazon for a lot less than what vets charge.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It does sound like some bad association with the litter box.  How has the box been cleaned since you lost your other cat?  Could there be a lingering odour from the other cat that is unsettling her, assuming your vet is right and she doesn't have anyn physical symptoms of pain?  Might be worth a very thorough enzyme clean and complete change over so no residual odours around the box, or get a new box and maybe even try placing a tray in the area she is going to hide?

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found the Feliway on Amazon for $22.69 plus $4.95 shipping.  That sure beats the $48.00 the vet wants.

I've cleaned the litter box inside and out and thrown away the old litter and started with fresh when I put the box back in service.  I did  that before she started this behavior.

I know we'll get a handle on this.  I just feel so bad for her because I don't know what has caused this behavior for sure.

I can call the vet's office and ask for a copy of the lab test results.  If they give them to me, what do I do if they don't seem right?  I don't know who to complain to other than to you here on this forum.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you are dealing with this, it can be frustrating.  I have a 7 year old special needs kitty (Cerebral Hypoplasia) who thinks my couch is her litter box (pee only).  I haven't tried the Feliway yet, but that's on my list of things to try for her.  She's been checked out and no infections. It is odd that this behavior just started out with 18 years of using the box.  I do know that some cats can get senility as they get older, maybe that could be something that is going on with your kitty. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I can call the vet's office and ask for a copy of the lab test results.  If they give them to me, what do I do if they don't seem right?  I don't know who to complain to other than to you here on this forum.
You paid for lab tests. You have a right to copies of them. In fact, a lot of us on here keep copies of all test results just in case we need to see an emergency vet or other vet. If you want to post them here, you will get some feedback. Here's a guide to interpreting results as well. http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresource...ient-education/understand-diagnostic-test.pdf

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cprcheetah,

It's ironic that my cat is exhibiting behavior of a patient with dementia.  I am my 94 yr old Mother-In-Law's 24/7 caregiver.  She was diagnosed with dementia.  It's a devastating thing to treat, to live with, to care for.

When I told my friend about my cat, her first response was "Does she have dementia?"

vball91,

I will call the vet's office Monday and ask for a copy of the lab results.  When I get them, I'll post them here and you all can give me your opinions.  I would appreciate that.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
While you try to find out what's going on do you think she might use a puppy pad or something in the spot she's chosen?  At least that would protect the flooring a bit and make the cleaning a bit easier.

Just another thought but have her paws have been checked?  No sensitity or indication of discomfort?

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought of this, but at the vet I work at we have seen a few elderly cats quit using their litter box who have arthritis.  It may be something to ask your vet about. 

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never seen her act like she's in any kind of pain.  I don't know if arthritis might be an issue, but I'll keep that in  mind, for sure.  Here's what has happened since yesterday.

I put her in a little room with 4 litter boxes and overnight she actually did use one of them.  Hurray!!!.   However, when I went to check on her a couple of hours later, she had hidden under the bed near the wall and urinated there and laid in it.  She was soaking wet and I had to wash her up.

I have now put her in our dog's crate.  It's one of the large crates, like for a great dane.  I put a heavy quilt over it to make it dark in there, and to keep it warm, also.  I had called my sister in NC, (she bred cats for many years)  and she believes she might be suffering from Alzheimer's and be cold.  Right now, while I type, she is quiet.  She ate chicken for supper.  I boiled some chicken and cooled it and mashed it up with liquid and let her eat that.  No sodium in it.  I gave her some old towels to sleep on and put only one litter box in with her.

Maybe she is just in the process of dying.  When I call to her, she comes to me and wants me to cuddle her.  I'm going to have to keep her in the crate.  I can't let her urinate on my floors or carpet anymore, or Heaven forbid, get into my closets and do it there.

I'll still call the vet for the test results in the morning and post them here when I get them.