September 2023 Book of the Month Club - Choose Your Own – Favorite Childhood Books Edition

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know most of our childhood/YA book choices are short reads, but just a heads up that there's only 9 days left in the "official" reading period. Discussion / review time starts on the 22nd.

I've not started my book yet, as I'm in the middle of binging the Cormoran Strike book series. I'm on book 4, and once I finish it, I'll take a brief break from the series, and read my September book.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'II finish up the Jennifer Crusie book I've started tonight, and get stared. With me, I couId start on the 20th and be done on time, but I want to get good pics of some of the iIIustrations!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1694954161966.png

Review / Discussion time begins on the 22nd.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's book choices. I just finished the book I was reading, so I am going to start my childhood fav book today.

As mentioned upthread, we're providing some questions this month that you can either answer outright, or incorporate into your book review. Here they are:

What book did you read?
Why did you choose it?
Had you read it before?
Did you buy the book or was it given to you.
How old were you when you read it.
Does it evoke some memory for you
Would you like to share the memory with us

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What book did you read? Secrets of the Shopping Mall
Why did you choose it? It was more for adolescents, but since I was young, I have been fascinated with the concept of living in a mall.
Had you read it before? More times than I can count.
Did you buy the book or was it given to you. That is kind of a long story. :lol:
How old were you when you read it. I first read it when I was thirteen.
Does it evoke some memory for you Yes!
Would you like to share the memory with us I think back to when malls were a big thing, and how much I enjoyed going. And I always thought, "What if?" Even as an adult, the idea still intrigues me. I had a co-worker who had once been a mall security officer. He used to let his daughter and her friend come to work with him if they wanted. They didn't go in the empty stores to make rounds with him (I would have) but they roller skated around the mall.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
nurseangel nurseangel that sounds like so much fun, rollerskating around a mall!!

What book did you read? Still re-reading, but "Matilda" by Roald Dahl.
Why did you choose it? I read this book cover to cover, over and over, as a kid. It is so fun, sweet, and ridiculous.
Had you read it before? MANY times.
Did you buy the book or was it given to you. I really don't remember.
How old were you when you read it. Maybe 10 or 11.
Does it evoke some memory for you Absolutely!
Would you like to share the memory with us When I first read this book, I was such a shy and quiet kid who loved to read. My friends were "growing up" and I was kind of staying the same, things at home were not the greatest, and my sister was turning into a teenager so I felt like my built in playmate was moving on. The prospect of Matilda liking to read so much and developing telekinesis from being so frustrated at home and school was awesome to me. I would spend hours staring at pens trying to get them to move. :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
nurseangel nurseangel and iPappy iPappy : thanks for posting your answers to the questions.

It isn't quite the 22nd yet, but then since everyone is reading a different book this month, there's no worries about spoilers. So all good.

If anyone else is ready to post about their book, go for it. :biggrin:

One thing I now realize was missing from the questions was "Tell us a little about the book" So I'm adding that to the list of questions.

And maybe if you have time, nurseangel nurseangel and iPappy iPappy can post again so you can "tell us a little about the book"..

UPDATED QUESTION LIST
What book did you read?
Tell us a little about the book
Why did you choose it?
Had you read it before?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's my review.

What book did you read?
The Velvet Room by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

This book takes place in California during the depression, and is about a migrant family travelling the state looking for work. When their Model T breaks down by McCurdy ranch, the father ends up getting a job, and the family moves into one of the small cabins where the worker families live.

The main character is Robin, a 12 year old girl who is always wandering off to find a place to herself. One place she finds is an old boarded up mansion on the property. After being given a strange old key, she discovers it opens a door to a tunnel that leads inside the mansion, where she finds the Velvet Room, a beautiful tower library, decorated with lots of pink velvet, and filled with old books, including a diary of a girl who once lived there.

Between attending school, spending time with the McCurdy’s 12 year old daughter Gwen, visiting Bridget a kind lady who lives on the ranch, plus a few weeks in the summer working at pitting apricots, Robin visits the Velvet Room as often as she can. Everything is wonderful, until one night when she finds herself in danger in the mansion.

Back when I first read this, this was the longest book I’d ever read, and I loved it from the first reading. I wasn’t sure what I would think of it all these years later, but I still enjoyed every word of it. Although I remembered most of the major points, I had forgotten how it ended, so it was almost like reading it for the first time.
1695384266265.png

Why did you choose it? It was my favourite book growing up

Had you read it before? Yes, many times

It was originally bought through the Arrow Book club at school. I still have my original copy, but it is literally falling apart, and I didn’t want to risk handling it much. So I bought the Kindle version from Amazon to read this time.

Probably 10 or 11, though I read it many times after that

Does it evoke some memory for you. Yes

Would you like to share the memory with us.
Not a memory specific to this book, but it does take me back to the excitement I felt every time we got the sheets of paper at school with the books you could order. My family didn’t have a lot of money, but they always had a bit to buy a book or two. Being that The Velvet Room was a book with many pages, it probably was a pricier one, and am so glad I chose it, rather that maybe 2 shorter, thus lesser priced ones.

Here are a few illustrations taken from my original book. Sadly, the Kindle version didn't have the illustrations.

The cover of my poor mangled, but well-read book, showing, of course, the velvet room.
1695384584588.png

The first page of the book, with the broken down Model T.
1695384694948.png

The cabins where the migrant worker families live.
1695384881474.png

Robin and Bridget, the old lady that lives on the ranch
1695384765028.png

The ladder and door to the tunnel that leads to the mansion
1695384825559.png

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wasn't much of a reader growing up, it wasn't until I reached my 50's that I became the avid reader I am today so I didn't have a wide range of childhood books to choose from.

I must have been around 6 or 7 when I read this book, I remember my mother sitting beside me helping me with the words I struggled with and pointing out things in the illustrations., so this book has fond memories for me.

The book is King of the Golden River by John Ruskin written in 1841, a fairy story about three brothers, Schwartz and Hans who are cruel and mean and their younger brother Gluck who is kind and gentle.

A strange old man knocks on the door when Gluck is home on his own and he lets him into the house as its raining hard and the old man is hunger. Before Gluck can give the old man something to eat the two brothers come home and throw the old man back out into the rain.
IMG20230921111111.jpg

Gluck and the old man.

The story continues to tell the tale of the old man appearing infront of Gluck another day claiming he is The King of the Golden River and telling Gluck that whoever shall climb to the top of the mountain from where you can see the Golden River and cast 3 drops of holy water into the river then for him and him only, the river will turn to gold. But noone failing in the task can have a second attempt and will turn into a black stone.
IMG20230921113735.jpg

The old man telling Gluck the story.

Gluck tells his brothers on their return and they beat him for wasting time talking to the old man.

IMG20230921124129.jpg

Needless to say, both Schwartz and Hans fail in their attempts but Hans succeeds because he showed acts of kindness on his journey up the mountain and his brothers didnt.

The moral of the story is that kindness is rewarded.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And here I am, books next to me.

What book did you read? My first seIection was "Fun on ChiIdren's Street," by Maude Lindsay
Tell us a little about the book This sweet book was written in 1941, by a cousin of my grandmother's generation. She was famous in her time as a premier educator, author, and generaIIy a decent, kind person. The book has no "story," no "pIot," it is simpIy about the streeth where she Iives, and the day-to-day Iives of the chiIdren who Iive there, the games they pIay, and their dreams
Why did you choose it? I Iove the gIimpse into the Iives of chiIdren at that time...AND, two of them are cousins of my father's generation, Bettykins and Virginia. I used to babysit Virginia's daughter.

Had you read it before? Many, many times, and had it read to me many more!

Did you buy the book or was it given to you. It was a christening gift from the author. It is signed.

How old were you when you read it. Oh, who knows. I remember sitting in Mama's or Daddy's Iap and having it read to me, though. I couId read before I turned 4 years oId, so around then, I wouId think.

Does it evoke some memory for you OH, SO many!

Would you like to share the memory with us I pIayed some of the games with my own friends, and we certainIy made the wooden spooI doII furniture! Yes, thread stiII came on wooden spooIs, and paper doIIs were VERY popuIar when I was a chiId! I stiII have an oId wooden spooI in my "treasure box." I drag it from pIace to pIace, simpIy for the memories!

Fun on ChiIdren's Street
IMG_0584.jpg

Wooden SpooI DoII Furniture
IMG_0579.jpg

Iooking things up in the Big Dictionary. No encycIopedias back then!
IMG_0581.jpg

Scary stories in front of the fire
IMG_0580.jpg
I am so charmed by the simpIicity of these!

What book did you read? Cajun Night Before Christmas
Tell us a little about the book This is actuaIIy not a book from my own chiIdhood, but from Spawn 1's, a gift from his grandfather. The originaI was Iost, and I reordered it when the 50th anniversary edition came out. This book had a rather pedestrian birth...it was conceived as a jingIe for a used car Iot in New OrIeans! However, it quite rightIy caught the ears and eyes there, and won a CIio award in 1967. The originaI author, B. J. KIing, Jr. teamed up with fIedgIing iIIustrator, James Rice, to give birth to the finished version, marketed under the pseudonym "TroscIair." It soId out in record time! It is a reteIIing of the cIassing "Night Before Christmas," but toId by a Cajun father rearing his famiIy in the swamps of Louisiana...no reindeer or snow or ice for those kids. Santa comes in a form they are famiIiar with, and speaks a diaIect they understand! It is a smaII masterpiece.

Why did you choose it? SO many memories!

Had you read it before? Oh, yes. Spawn 1 was born in Louisiana, and my Dad gave him this on his first Christmas.

Did you buy the book or was it given to you. It was originaIIy a gift from Dad to Spawn 1. THIS copy, I bought. I NEEDED it!

How old were you when you read it. UM...28? Spawn 1 was not quite a year. I was utterIy charmed!

Does it evoke some memory for you More than you can ever know

Would you like to share the memory with us Reading this every Christmas Eve to my kids. Now, I aIso read the originaI first, and they'd say, NOW DO THE REAL ONE, MAMA!"

IMG_0586.jpg

Den mama in de firepIace
Done roas' up de ham
Stir up de gumbo
And make bake de yam.
IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0588 (1) - Copy.jpg

To de top o' de porch
to de top o' de waII,
Make crawI, aIIigator,
An' be sho' you don' faII!

IMG_0589.jpg

His eyes, how dey shine!
His dimpIe, how merry!
Maybe he been drink
De wine from bIackberry.
His cheek was Iike rose
His nose Iike a cherry
On secon' t'ought maybe
He Iap up de sherry!
IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

I so hope that aII of you enjoyed this gIimpse into times gone by as much as I did!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
What book did you read? "The Golden Book of Poetry."

Tell us a little about the book- This was a book my mom used to read to us from at bedtime, my sister and me shared a bedroom always and I remember being in bed with only a lamp on and our mom reading to us. It's a bunch of child poems, published in 1947. Such memories!!!
My favorites were Wynken, Blynken, and Nod; The Raggedy Man; Little Orphant Annie; The Owl and the Pussycat; The Duel (Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat); The Swing; Mr. Nobody; There Once Was a Puffin; Custard the Dragon; The Land of Counterpane- I asked what a counterpane was and my mom said "It's a bedspread." Then I asked why they called the poem "counterpane," and she said "well The Land of Bedspread wouldn't sound very good, would it???"

Why did you choose it? It was one of my favorites- the poems, bedtime in a comfy bed, lights low...mom reading to my sister and me.

Had you read it before? Oh yes, all through childhood and beyond.

Did you buy the book or was it given to you- we had it as far back as I can remember. I still have the original book with me,over 65 years later!

How old were you when you read it- once I could read! First grade, mom reading it before that.

Does it evoke some memory for you- lots. Imagination from the poems, my sister and me saying the lines from them- "the gobbluns'll git you ef you dont watch out!!"
This was so enjoyable this month.

Would you like to share the memory with us- just the pictures in my head, the, rhymes, the rhythm of the language, comfort, snuggled up-
"Wynken, Blynken, and Nod one night
sailed off in a wooden shoe..."

"O the Raggedy Man: He works for Pa;
An' he's the goodest man ever you saw..."
Favorite lines: "An' The Raggedy Man, he knows most rhymes
An' tells 'em, ef I be good, sometimes:
Knows 'bout Giunts, an' Griffuns, an' Elves, An' the Squidgicum-Squees 'at swallers therselves!"

Poetry.jpg

Poetry1.jpg

Poetry2.jpg

Poetry3.jpg

Poetry4.jpg

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These books are so precious to us and rereading evokes lovely memories. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 The pictures in your first book are so simplistic and typical of that time. The wooden cotton spools reminded me of the things I used to do with them as a child. Your second book made me smile seeing the alligators pulling the santa clause, not quite as cuddly as reindeer.
pearl99 pearl99 The way the poems are written must have been difficult for a child to read but delightful. Did you use different voices when reading aloud. Lovely illustrations.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What book did you read? Secrets of the Shopping Mall
I'm also a fan of the shopping mall, especially when I was younger, so the idea of living in one sounds fun. Especially learning the secrets of what happens when it's closed.

What book did you read? Still re-reading, but "Matilda" by Roald Dahl.
Your book, like mine, had a main character who loved to read. Robin, in my book, didn't develop telekinesis though.;)

The book is King of the Golden River by John Ruskin
That story and illustrations reminds me of one of the short stories we read several months back. Maybe the one with the cat and mice that could sew? Probably having been written during the same timeframe.

What book did you read? My first seIection was "Fun on ChiIdren's Street," by Maude Lindsay
Your book was written exactly 100 years after V verna davies book. Nothing in common, just something I noticed as I read both your posts. I can understand this book being special for you, with the family connections. I was going to say nice, simple illustrations, then saw you said basically the same thing.

Oh, nice. A book you read to your children. I wondered if anyone would choose a book like that. Really bright and colourful illustrations.

What book did you read? "The Golden Book of Poetry."
Oh, that brought back memories for me. Not that particular book, but the "Golden Book of" title, as I still have some of those books from my childhood. Those poems sound like they'd be fun to read and memorize. And the illustrations are lovely.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I need to find this book!

pearl99 pearl99 pearl99 pearl99 The way the poems are written must have been difficult for a child to read but delightful. Did you use different voices when reading aloud. Lovely illustrations.
We had them practically memorized (our favorites) so I read them as I could, and probably learned new words from them! Yes, we'd use some voices. Especially with Little Orphant Annie.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just going to tag some members who indicated up thread that they might be joining us this month. Reviews can be posted up to the end of the month, so no rush. Just don't want you to forget. And, if your books have any neat illustrations, do feel free to post a couple of them.

Here's the questions you can either answer outright, or incorporate in your review.

What book did you read?
Why did you choose it?
Had you read it before?

Ooh. I will try to join in!
Lari Lari : do you have a book to review? One of J's favs, maybe?

i'm considering the hunger games
Mia6 Mia6 : Did you read The Hunger Games?

The Shiloh series (of four books, never read the fourth one lol)
Fostercatmom_358 Fostercatmom_358 : Were you able to read the 4th book of The Shiloh series?

So, add me because it will awesome to join in and read a childhood favorite -- with 'new eyes'
B BromeliadsInBloom : Have you read a childhood favourite you can tell us about?

I got a little ahead of myself, and read aloud The Cat Who Walks by Himself to Zorro,
Margot Lane Margot Lane : How's The Cat Who Walks by Himself coming along? Finish yet?

I remember absolutely loving The Phantom Tollbooth, although I can't remember the story at all. I'll see if I can revisit it.
mani mani : Were you able to find The Phantom Tollbooth?

I think I'll give this a try with a re-read of The Little Princess
allmykitties allmykitties : Did your re-read of The Little Princess happen?