September 2023 Book of the Month Club - Choose Your Own – Favorite Childhood Books Edition

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sweet! It's so nice to come across fellow fans of Nancy Drew. The Baby-sitters Club books were in heavy rotation too at our house when we were kids

Is mystery, in general, a favorite genre of yours?
Mystery is definitely a favourite genre of mine. I started with The Bobbsey Twins, then graduated to Nancy Drew. Then somewhere along the way I read The Velvet Room, which is going to be my September re-read. Currently I read a lot of mystery / psychological thrillers by authors like Lisa Jewell, Shari Lapena, Alice Feeney, Riley Sager, etc.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How fun! I started with the Bobbsey Twins, myseIf! I did read a few Nancy Drews, but being a totaI tomboy, she was a bit prim for me. Trixie BeIden, now, THAT was my gaI! I SO wanted to be Trixie BeIden. Being an onIy chiId, her famiIy was so attractive to me! AND, she was a tomboy, as weII! I may have to re-coIIect those books! They are stiII around!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1693582979707.png

Happy September folks! Time to officially start reading Childhood and Young Adult books. Reading period continues until September 21st, after which we'll start the review and discussion period.

This month, we are going to be providing some questions which you can answer about the book you read, or incorporate into your review. The questions will be posted before the 22nd.

And if anyone is wondering if adults should actually read children's books... Yes you can !!!

1693583383099.png

1693583405558.png

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-adults-should-read-childrens-
books/#:~:text=It%20is%20said%20to%20help,one%20of%20life's%20great%20levellers

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had my heart set on a book I was 100% sure I had, but, I cannot find it ANYWHERE. I even looked online, but, it's not there.
I have a few others in mind, but one is a 3 part (short) series within a longer series that might work. Another book entirely is 330 pages long so the discussion would be very tedious for most. But it's so blatently stupid I'm really considering it as a side read this fall!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can always read more than one Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , you know how you devour books.
Very true! I do have a copy of the cIassic "Cajun Night Before Christmas" by TroscIair somewhere around here. I just don't have a Iot of chiIdren's books, not with my grandson Iiving so far away.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Very true! I do have a copy of the cIassic "Cajun Night Before Christmas" by TroscIair somewhere around here. I just don't have a Iot of chiIdren's books, not with my grandson Iiving so far away.
I still have some of my own childhood books, which I could read, as I became a book worm at a very young age. 📖

Oh goodness. I don't know. The Hobbit or Watership Down? Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM? The Borrowers? Not Where the Redfern Grows, as I would rather not cry buckets.
Crying buckets is rarely fun, so best not choose that one. ;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First week of September is over. Has anyone started reading their book yet?

1694120992424.png

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First week of September is over. Has anyone started reading their book yet?

View attachment 458982
Nope, nope, nope, nope, NOPE! I wiII read both of these books in a day! Waiting for Iater. AIso pIanning to take a coupIe of photographs of the TroscIair book's iIIustrations to post with my review! That's kinda a PITA, since I post here on my Iaptop, and take photos on my phone, so I'II just emait them to myseIf!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm pacing myself, so I have read 7 of 19 chapters.
So almost halfway read. :)

Nope, nope, nope, nope, NOPE! I wiII read both of these books in a day! Waiting for Iater. AIso pIanning to take a coupIe of photographs of the TroscIair book's iIIustrations to post with my review! That's kinda a PITA, since I post here on my Iaptop, and take photos on my phone, so I'II just emait them to myseIf!
Looking forward to seeing the pics of the illustrations. I might do the same with my book.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If anyone is up to it, I wouId Iove to see iIIustrations from your chosen book(s). I may incIude some from "Fun on ChiIdren's Street, simpIy because it was written in the 1940s, and the iIIustrations are just what you wouId expect...simpIe, but very evocative of the time!