September 2023 Book of the Month Club - Choose Your Own – Favorite Childhood Books Edition

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1690909560019.png

For September we’re bringing back “Choose Your Own”. This time, however, it will be a themed version where we’ll each be reading a favorite childhood book.

But before we get to the details, we have an announcement.

1690909844307.png

Back to September and Favorite Childhood books, the book can be one you loved as a child, or maybe one you loved reading to your child. It can even be one you’ve always wanted to read.

It can be something short like a Dr. Seuss book or a longer classic like Charlotte’s Web, or even one of the Harry Potter books. Just any book that would be considered Children’s/Young Adult.

So whether you dust off that old beloved copy of a book you’ve had forever, or download a digital copy from the library or online book store, you’ll be set to join us.

The reading period will be September 1st to September 21st, with the review/discussion starting on September 22nd.

The above dates, however, aren’t written in stone, meaning there’s nothing stopping anyone from starting to read right away, if you feel you need extra time. Or if you read a little past September 21st, that’s fine too, as the discussion goes on till at least September 28th.

Everyone is invited to read along with us. You can RSVP by posting in this thread. And certainly feel free to post the title of the book you’re planning to read, and if it’s a repeat read the approximate age you were when you first read it, if you can remember.

Any questions, let us know.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OOOOOH! What fun! I aIready have mine picked out! It was written in 1941 by one of my father's cousins, and my copy of it was a christening gift to me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The book I'm going to read is one I got through the Scholastic Books' Arrow Book Club when I was in either grade 4 or 5. It ended up being my favourite book at the time, and I read it again and again. I still have it, but it's sealed in a zip lock baggie, as it's literally falling apart. So I'm going to order the e-book from Amazon, which amazingly is available. The title is The Velvet Room.by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will be joining in this one, I already made a note in my calendar. I don't know what I will choose to read yet but I'll probably pick something not too long, not too short.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not that I'm trying to rush through the final weeks of summer, but I am looking forward to seeing what children's/YA books everyone reads. :)

BromeliadsInBloom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are already many great picks in this thread 👍👍

So, add me because it will awesome to join in and read a childhood favorite -- with 'new eyes'

Until we get closer to late August, it's hard to say which title because a few come to mind.

It will likely be one of the earlier installments in the Nancy Drew series or maybe Tiger Eyes.