Sebastian is Back at the Vet...Suspected Pancreatitis Again :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just read this entire thread and have to say I don't envy you at all.  Well, maybe a little - you still have a cat to worry about.

I can see where a lot of these GI illnesses start to run together.  Kinney's thickening and ulcerated mass were in his duodenum, right where the pancreas dumps in.  Who knows at what stage irritants get out of control and turn into something more.

As someone who has had my own GI issues over a lifetime, I would say go light on the biotics.

I am not sure I am familiar enough with Sebastian's history to know why he gets fluids so often?
Sorry Dan32! I almost missed your post.  Yes, it is scary how everything is connected and affects other things. I didn't know that's where Kinney's mass was. That is definitely scary, as I worry about all this with Sebastian possibly being cancer. 
  When you say "biotics," are you referring to antibiotics or probiotics? Or both?

Sebastian gets fluids to keep his system flushed and hydrated. Fluids are one of the most important treatments for pancreatitis (which he had pretty bad back in July and another scare in September), so it is now more of a maintenance thing. I don't mind doing the fluids, Sebastian tolerates them, and the vet said it's a good thing to do if it works with my lifestyle. I told the vet, "Just tell me what I need to do and I'll do it." I guess they don't get this kind of go-getter attitude often from other pet parents.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is he today?
Well, he didn't vomit again, so that's good I guess. When I asked him, "Sebastian, why did you vomit?" he looked at me and meowed. 
  Maybe Ellen will know what he's saying.

I decided to break up his breakfast a little to prevent any more vomiting. I gave him a small bit of wet food, waited half an hour, then another small amount, waited half an hour, etc. When I left for work this morning, he had not vomited. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully it was a fluke that doesn't have anything to do with his health problems.  One of my cats, not the one with the chronic issues, will very occasionally vomit.  I don't know why, but I think I am very sensitized to it because of all the problems that Patches had.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was referring to probiotics.  I see so many people recommending giant doses of probiotics on here and my personal experience has been a lil dab'll do ya.  I don't think it takes that many flora to get things started.

Kinney's problem area was right where the liver and pancreas dump in, and he had thickening on his duodenum, enlarged liver, pancreas and spleen.  It is all in the same general area.  The duodenum is such a peculiar anatomy that they thought it would be almost impossible "to section", either for a biopsy or to remove the ulcerated mass.

Not that I would wish that on my worst enemy, just to say that the more I was reading about pancreatitis, IBS, and lymphomas - I started to see the same area targeted over and over.  Who knew our poor kitties have so many digestive problems?

When Kin was taking pred, he NEVER threw up - not even once.  I was never sure if changing him over to a grain-free kibble or the pred was responsible for that as both changes occured within a few days of each other.  Previously, he was a chronic vomiter - at least twice a week (but never had d---).  So at what point does that become THAT?

My very good friend's cat started having what her vet called pre-c symptoms when he was only 8yo, however with vitamins and other supportive therapies he did not develop lymphoma until he was 20yo.  My friend said he had the dreaded thickening early on that was visible on ultrasounds.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeh, I hear you. I've been trying to find that balance on the probiotics.

I had suspected inflammation of the duodenum and common bile duct in Sebastian as one of my theories, as well, considering the inability for hair to pass through the stomach (possible duodenum problem) and then the pancreatitis (possible common bile duct problem). Chances are the inflammation started somewhere and traveled. He had the chronic hairballs first. When Sebastian had his ultrasound in July, they did not see any thickening at that time, but I'll probably need to do an ultrasound periodically to keep tabs on this.

Sebastian has been on the pred for three weeks now, and has thrown up one hairball (the first week) and then his food just once this week. He hasn't vomited again, and he ate well for me this morning. 
  I can tell now that he has gained some weight back.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hopefully it was a fluke that doesn't have anything to do with his health problems.  One of my cats, not the one with the chronic issues, will very occasionally vomit.  I don't know why, but I think I am very sensitized to it because of all the problems that Patches had.
Thanks...I hope so, too! I am very sensitized to it, as well. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sebastian has been on the pred for three weeks now, and has thrown up one hairball (the first week) and then his food just once this week. He hasn't vomited again, and he ate well for me this morning.  :cross:   I can tell now that he has gained some weight back.
:clap: :clap: :clap: Happy to hear it!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so no more vomiting since that one isolated incident. 

He's down to 5 mg prednisolone every other day

So far, no noticeable change in his appetite or behavior. He's still eating well and enthusiastically. He's being a pig, quite honestly, and in no time I'll be concerned about him being overweight! 
  Or "chubawump" as I like to call him when he's got a little more junk in his trunk. 

I'd like the AM pilling to continue for sake of routine. For the mornings he doesn't get the pred, I considered pilling him with an omega "mini" gelcap. I've seen a couple brands of these, but I have to find a gelcap small enough without fillers. The liquid is just not working out, whether loose in a pump or squeezed out of a gelcap.

I did not up the probiotics. I decided to continue with the 13 billion/10 strain and 5 billion/S. Boulardii daily. This seems to be working well.

I started a new thread about a possible snack for Sebastian between meals.

Caesar didn't feel good over the weekend and wasn't eating, but he's already back on track, and I was out sick from work on Monday with a stomach bug. It's quite challenging to take of the kitties when I can barely get vertical. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: :clap: :clap: Great news as far as Sebastian goes! :D :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: things continue to go well!

Sorry about Caesar... but it seems too frequently I have someone not eat for a day or so, and it is guaranteed that if I take them to the vet, they'll be starving the minute they get home. :rolleyes:

I'm so sorry you're sick! There has been flu passing around out this way for a month already. I do hope you're feeling 100% SOON! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

cannacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have a cat that we adopted about two years ago that has recurrent bouts with pancreatitis and IBD, (he also has arthritis, bronchitis, and a gall bladder something or other ;)

we have used the following therapies:

1. daily prednisone.  This was the most effective for resolving his symptoms and preventing flare ups, however my particular cat was sensitive to corticosteroids and began loosing hair, so we had to stop.

the other therapies since have not been as effective,

so if your kitty has no sensitivity to the pred, I think you are going to have some smooth sailing!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hello,

I have a cat that we adopted about two years ago that has recurrent bouts with pancreatitis and IBD, (he also has arthritis, bronchitis, and a gall bladder something or other ;)

we have used the following therapies:

1. daily prednisone.  This was the most effective for resolving his symptoms and preventing flare ups, however my particular cat was sensitive to corticosteroids and began loosing hair, so we had to stop.

the other therapies since have not been as effective,

so if your kitty has no sensitivity to the pred, I think you are going to have some smooth sailing!
Thanks for your post. It seems some of it got cut off? 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news as far as Sebastian goes!
things continue to go well!

Sorry about Caesar... but it seems too frequently I have someone not eat for a day or so, and it is guaranteed that if I take them to the vet, they'll be starving the minute they get home.

I'm so sorry you're sick! There has been flu passing around out this way for a month already. I do hope you're feeling 100% SOON!
Thank you! 

Caesar is known to do this. I don't talk about him much. Perhaps I should start a new thread about my little runt boy. 

Yes, it is going around! I was at a public event over the weekend, and that's all it took. I really wish we could stop the whole shaking hands thing.

cannacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well, if your guy does not show any intolerance, then pred is what to continue I think.

Because my guy cannot handle it, I have moved to alternate therapies,

right now he gets:

leukeran, cerenia, pepcid, and metronidazole

and an herbal supplement called Canna-Cat that I developed with some vets.

it all works ok, but not as well as pred- he has had flare-ups still at times.

we are working to change the leukeran to a more cyclical administration, like how a woman's birth control pills are designed around a 28 day cycle with periods of getting the dose and not, rather than just constantly giving every other day.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@cannacat - Thanks for re-posting your message. There's another TCS member who's had success with an alternative to pred. I forget what's it's called. It starts with a "d" I think.

Our follow-up appointment (for all issues 
) is Friday, October 18. Apparently, the doctor is available more days now because of demand.

Isn't excessive hunger a sign of diabetes? I am appreciative of the hunger because I would rather that than the other way around, but it's getting ridiculous. We've been on 5 mg of pred every other day for a week now and I was confident the raging hunger would subside a little, but it has not. He practically lives in the kitchen in hopes that I'll come in and give him more food. He hardly slept at all today because he's been following me around meowing for food. He has been getting plenty of food and is probably in excess of 200 calories a day, hence the noticeable weight gain. I can't have him get overweight again...14 pounds max.

Anyway, he's exhibiting excessive hunger, frequent urinating, and increased thirst...all arrows pointing to diabetes?  

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about adverse side effects in cats but I do have a friend that had this type of reaction to prednisone.  She wasn't able to sleep at all.  She didn't know that the pred was causing it and I don't even know if she said anything to her doctor.  She ended up with clinical depression because of the sleep deprivation.  After all was said and done she was told that she had had a bad reaction to the prednisone.  She never took it again.  I don't know if lowering the dose or a different steroid would work.

Patches takes dexamethasone.  He hadn't been having any problems with the pred though, the switch was made because of supply issues with the prednisolone.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about the excess eating - that's a pretty normal side effect of steroids. But the increased thirst and urinating is. And some cats ARE that sensitive to it. It's rare, but it happens. Can you buy a blood glucose monitor? You can use the same ones for people in cats.

Check out http://www.yourdiabeticcat.com and/or PM Momto4kitties (Tammy). Tammy's Lucas has been on pred for a long time, but there are people whose kitties received one shot of depo and immediately developed diabetes. Tammy has diabetes, so recognized the signs in her Lucas immediately. She'll know off-hand what the levels should be.

The good news is that taking them off the steroids and controlling it through a low carb diet does resolve the need for insulin.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet said diabetes usually occurs on high dosages and gave 10 mg as an example. Prednisolone increases appetite. I'd call your vet, maybe he'll say to decrease the dosage.  Poppy was on 5 mg/day, then on 5 mg every other day, then on 2.5 mg/day and so on until she was off. The 5 mg and 2.5 mg dosages all made her pretty hungry.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, good to know what others have dealt with. I didn't realize that even the low dosages can cause such increased hunger. Thanks for the info and links. Since we do have an appointment this Friday and we'll have a full blood panel done, I'm going to wait and see what the results are before spending money on a blood glucose monitor.

I wrote my update on Saturday I think, and Sunday he didn't seem to be as ravenous. Of course.
  In fact, both Sunday night and this morning he didn't finish all his wet food right away like he normally does. And I think there were less "pee pods" in the litter box. Maybe it takes a week for the body to fully adjust to the decreased dosage of pred? 
  Otherwise, I suspect he might have a tummy ache or a soon-to-be hairball.