Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh it is exhausting! Back at work again now! Just a normal shift today though! So I have a weird question. One of my Mom's friends messaged me on facebook (I do not know her, my mom always shares my rescue stuff so that must be how she found me). She wants to know if she can adopt one of Andy's kittens because her cat just had a kitten and it passed away and now her cat is depressed, so she wants to give her another cat to "mother". I told her I would have to think about it because I don't feel comfortable separating one of the kittens from its mother and all of its siblings to give it to a cat who might not even accept it, I mean Andy's kittens are already 5 weeks old.. What are your thoughts? I definitely do not think that I should, but I thought I would ask on here to see what your thoughts on it were. Thanks
Definitely not! Your instincts are right. This would be unfair to your kittens and a risky move at best.

Also, why was this woman's cat pregnant? What do you know about her as an owner?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my first questions too. I asked her if she was planning on getting her cat spayed. She said Absolutely and that the only reason that she had gotten pregnant was because when a plumber was in her house working he accidentally let her out or something. It just seemed weird.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, do not take a kitten from its mom and litter mates.

Your mom's friend needs to seek an orphan from a shelter, and ultimately, she needs to spay her cat, who will get over missing her baby when her hormones calm down.

Thank you for being thoughtful about this!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
This mother cat isn't fixed which means any kitten you hand over can end up the same way.  There is also no way to guarantee this mother cat would nurture any kitten. I thought it worked best when the kittens were about the same age as the ones already nursing or adopted by a cat. There is also no reason given for how or what the kitten died of.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she is serious about this, her local shelter will have knowledge of kittens needing a nursing mom...AND will "vet" her and her cat beforehand.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I told her that I was not comfortable separating one of my kittens from their siblings and mother so early, especially since there was no guarantee that her cat would accept the kitten because of the age difference. I also told her that spaying her cat would help manage her hormones and help her cope a little more. I also told her if once she gets her cat spayed and my kittens are old enough and she is still interested in adopting one to let me know and that it would be a good idea to reach out to local shelters to see if they have any abandoned kittens that need nursing moms.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent.  And the local shelters often do need nursing moms of all species.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
How is it possible that my babies are this big already?? I swear just yesterday they were tiny and depended on me to  get enough milk! Now look at them! They are rotten too! Always climbing all over me, then wanting to snuggle. I snapped this picture quickly on my phone today, hopefully tomorrow I will get some with my good camera since I am off work!

Also I scheduled Andy and Wini's spays today! Both will be going on 10/28 for their spays and rabies vaccines!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Also I scheduled Andy and Wini's spays today! Both will be going on 10/28 for their spays and rabies vaccines!
How old will they be ? My vet is pretty set on at least 4 months but before she comes in heat. They look so tiny.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Photo dump for everyone! Not the best pictures but they are terribly wiggly! I will try to get some pictures of the Halloween kittens later! 

For you tail lovers...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wowwww! [emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

How absolutely adorable! Too precious! [emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

laceyloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gosh! So cute! They look so similar to my kittens! Those cream ones look identical to mine. They are darling! ♡♡♡

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So today I deep cleaned the Halloween kittens room. I had noticed that they still had some fleas after I attempted to get rid of them when I brought them in and since they are 8 weeks old now it was time to give them a dose of the preventative. So I shampooed the room, sprayed it down with lysol disinfectant just in case to kill any coccidia that were left, then I sprayed everything down with some flea spray. I am not sure that the kittens appreciate it but I feel better now lol. They only have a few more days of Albon left!