Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

bertie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh good! Does it sound like everyone is gaining like they should be? I definitely want to buy a digital scale that weighs in grams but I just spent most of my rescue budget on the scale I have now, formula for the babies, flea medicine and canned kitten food for mom, so what I have left I am wanting to leave in my emergency vet fund, so for now this scale will have to do! Everyone looks good to me, they are getting mouthier and moving around a lot more, I love watching them grow!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you :)
BTW Mine won't stay on the scale long enough to get an accurate reading. Even in a bowl. I had them in a sauce pan last night. They were 4 weeks on Tuesday and both within a hair of 17 oz. They're 18 now. I have to feed every 3 hours because mom fed them every 15 minutes. I don't really have a schedule. They wake up potty , play, eat, play, sleep repeat  Are yours eating out of bowl yet. I can't get mine really interested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise

BTW Mine won't stay on the scale long enough to get an accurate reading. Even in a bowl. I had them in a sauce pan last night. They were 4 weeks on Tuesday and both within a hair of 17 oz. They're 18 now. I have to feed every 3 hours because mom fed them every 15 minutes. I don't really have a schedule. They wake up potty , play, eat, play, sleep repeat  Are yours eating out of bowl yet. I can't get mine really interested.
lol! My three week olds are pretty good about being good on the scale but I have been weighing them since day 4! My five week old kittens are eating on their own and nursing from mom, my three and a half week olds are still eating from mom and a syringe. I am hoping to introduce them to baby food next week so maybe they can start eating a little bit on there own to give their mom a break lol. I love following your thread!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise

How the Sam Hill did I miss this thread until now?  I shall begin at the beginning, and feed my addiction to kittens' tails!

@HelloMissKitty   DID YOU SEE THIS????
I was trying to find your name and tag you in here but I couldn't remember who was addicted to kitten tails! Glad you found it! lol. I am developing an addiction to them as well! And their teeny tiny toes!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I was only going to post like two of these pictures, but I just could not pick my favorites! Her baby blues, her tiny tongue, and her teeny toes! Swoon! Bo Peep sure knows how to work the camera!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I know! I love looking back at the first few pictures that I got of them and see how much they have changed! Mostly my grey girls their coats are changing colors and are becoming ADORABLE. Yes this week you can definitely tell that they are starting to recognize the world around them! They look at me and talk to me when I bring their formula in to supplement them and they are always trying to get out of their crate and their basket to explore the world around them! I can't wait until I have all 15 kittens underfoot! lol That will be fun!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Andy's Toy Story Kittens Weights 9/29/16 25 days old!

1- 416

2- 398

3- 395

4- 422

5- 404

6- 410

7- 406

5- 362

#1 and #3 didn't gain too much, but #1 is my giant anyway and at least he is still gaining. They are going to all be with Momma again for the most part of the day today since I am working a double, so I don't expect a lot of gains for tomorrow, I am having the boyfriend supplement them before he heads to work (halfway through my double shift) and I will supplement and rotate a couple of times when I get home.

Halloween Kittens

They are just a bundle of energy. We did get disposable cake pans to start litter training, and they put up a pretty good fight, I would see them start to squat beside of the pan and I picked them up and put them in the pan and the would meow and walk out and squat again so I would put them back in. The third time they gave up and used the pan lol. Doing this with six of them was entertaining. I am still a little worried about Momma, she is so skinny- is there anything that I can give her to help her gain weight quicker? Also she still seems to have an upset stomach with some diarrhea. Do you think it could be a mixture of the diet change and the wormer that I gave her?  I tried giving her pumpkin today but she really wasn't interested. Otherwise her appetite is still healthy and she is still drinking, etc. There is no blood in her stool or anything, it is just normal colored diarrhea. Should I try a probiotic or do you think a vet visit is needed? I just was trying to keep some money to the side to help with both mom's spays. But if it doesn't seem to clear up we will be making an appointment I guess!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Toy Story:

You are correct. #1 gained only 6 grams. #3 gained only 5 grams. The rest gained amounts in the teen numbers. And #5 is your smallest at just over 12 ounces.

Again, your goal is 16 ounces at 4 weeks, so keep an eye on 1 and 3 to make sure they are gaining, and on 5 because he's smallest.

Overall, for 8 kittens, they are doing nicely, but continue supplementing as often as you can.

Halloween:

Good to hear that litter training is progressing well with the Halloween kittens. They will graduate to full-size boxes in no time flat!

What was the wormer that you gave mama?

Diarrhea can keep a cat skinny, as it usually means nutrients are not being fully absorbed.

Worm meds kill worms, and result in firmer stools, so I think mom probably has an intestinal infection or parasites. Worm meds will not resolve either of those issues.

She needs a vet visit asap. Either can be shed in her stool, so once they share litter boxes, the kittens could potentially pick it up.

She may need metronidazole for parasites, or an antibiotic like clavamox for bacteria. You could start by taking a fresh stool sample to the vet; however, nothing may show up depending on what tests they run on the fecal. She needs treating regardless. Usually, it's an easy fix once meds are started.

Last edited:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok! I will schedule a vet visit for her this evening if her stool does not look better when I get home from this long shift today! The wormer that I gave her was pyrantel pamoate from the vet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I was trying to find your name and tag you in here but I couldn't remember who was addicted to kitten tails! Glad you found it! lol. I am developing an addiction to them as well! And their teeny tiny toes!
Yep, it's me, and HelloMissKitty, as well.  I love toesies, too!  The pink ones are cottoncandy jelly beans, and the black ones are licorice. 

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, it's me, and HelloMissKitty, as well.  I love toesies, too!  The pink ones are cottoncandy jelly beans, and the black ones are licorice. 
Well, look what happens when I go on vacation!!!
ashade1 ashade1 you have the most gorgeous little ones. I really admire people like you who take in these Mommas and their babies and give them a healthy, loving start in life. I would love to do something like this but I know myself enough to you that I would never be able to part with them. My Kitty grew up with a foster mom and it's because of this person's love and hard work that I have the love of my life [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
BTW...I am utterly in love with that beautiful little dilute calico!  Must alert @Kittens Mom who is another huge fan of tri-colored cats.  HEY KITTENS MOM!  Look at those photos on page 3!!!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Some updated pictures since you guys seem to love them as much as I do! They are getting so active! Some of them try to climb out of the laundry basket that I put them in when I am feeding them in when they arent with Andy. They do climb out of their dog crate that I have them in in my bedroom with Andy. This upcoming week I am going to introduce them to babyfood! Should I mix it with the formula and syringe feed it to  them? Or offer it on my finger? They all have tiny teeth now too! I will post weights later when I get them and maybe pictures of my Halloween Kittens- if not I will definitely get pictures of them tomorrow!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can mix it with KMR to make a mush and syringe it, or put the mush on a flat plate to see if they are ready to lap it.

They are so cute!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

BTW...I am utterly in love with that beautiful little dilute calico!  Must alert @Kittens Mom who is another huge fan of tri-colored cats.  HEY KITTENS MOM!  Look at those photos on page 3!!!
I did. If there weren't two evil spotty boys I would be looking for a way to get her.