Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Miss Winifred (Halloween Kittens' Mom) went to the vet today for her diarrhea and just for an overall checkup. I took a fecal sample of momma and the kittens in, they had to send it to the lab but I should hear back from it tomorrow. He went ahead and gave me Albon and Metronidaole to give her, he said that the combination of these things would really take care of if it was some kind of infection or parasite. Do you think that I should give some to the kittens as well? Should I just wait to hear the results of the fecal test? He didn't really say if I should or not but I feel like I could give them a little bit of both too. They have soft stools as well, but I think that is normal for kittens right? But I know it is likely for them to get what mom has since they are all sharing a litter box.

Otherwise Mom is in great health and she combo tested negative, so we will be scheduling her spay soon! And she already has a family who has fallen in love with her! Also the Halloween kittens' eyes are changing colors now! I will get updated pictures of everyone tomorrow!

Andy's Kittens

They are all doing great! Everyone is running around like crazy, eating wet food mixed with KMR off of a plate and playing in the litter box!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Halloween kittens may need meds too, but you'll want to ask the vet about dosage, as it is based on weight. Let the vet know that you feel the kittens should be treated as well. He may go ahead and prescribe for them based on mom's diagnosis, as parasites and infections can be transmitted from mom to kittens.

Kitten poop becomes formed and not soft once they are eating solids, so if their stools are mushy, they may need treatment.

Do keep Halloween mom with her kittens until they are 10-12 weeks before rehoming her.

It's great everyone is doing so well! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok! I think that the vet was waiting to see the lab results from their fecal exam before deciding what medicine is best for the kittens, I definitely will call and ask tomorrow! And the Mom's definitely will be with the kittens longer, I just am excited to be getting some interest in them and not just the kittens! I have already been contacted about more kittens once these ones go to homes-- is this crazy kitten season over yet?? So it is fine for the mom's to be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks right? I have never spayed a nursing Mom before. lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it's okay to spay while she is still nursing. It's not required. You can wait, but cats begin entering into heat cycles and it's miserable for everyone. The fear in general is that cats might escape and become pregnant again. Since you foster, you can make your decision together with who you work with.

The stray I adopted went into heat again when her kittens were 7 weeks old. I had her spayed at the end of the week. She continued to nurse for weeks and weeks afterwards.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looking back over those last pics, I think I actually saw a kitten tail or two!  Thanks for feeding my sad, silly addiction!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Updated pictures of Andy's Toy Story Kittens!

Updated Halloween Kittens Pictures! 

Sorry not as many kitten tails in these pictures! They are just so wiggly anymore! Its hard! Also my solid black 10 week old kitten was adopted! 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww. They are all so precious! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Awesome that the black one got a home! Do you screen adopters?

Last edited:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Of course! We have an application, do vet checks, home checks, and reference checks :) Holly- the black kitten went to a home with three kids who adore her. The father of them was the one who also fell in love with Wini and will be adopting her once the kittens are old enough and she has been spayed!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Just got a message from the vet tech at my veterinarian office, theHalloween kitten's fecal came back positive for coccidiosis. I am glad that we know what is is! They are making me up some Albon and I can swing by and get it today! Which is awesome since the office actually is already closed for the weekend lol. So we will start treatment for it today (mom was already started on it) and they said they will be on the Albon for 10 days. This is my first time dealing with this, is it fairly responsive to the Albon? I just wondered if I needed to worry about them still having it when we were done on the Albon. Thank goodness I knew better than to introduce the two litters of kittens to each other! What a mess we would be in if all 14 kittens had it! 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It works slowly to inhibit the growth of the coccidia. They should be better at the end of 10 days. You'll know by their stools.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
How long does it survive in the environment? Everything I have read says to keep sanitizing the environment with bleach to kill it off, but that room is carpet so I am wondering if a disinfectant spray would be sufficient? There were a few poops on the floor from when Wini had bad diarrhea and from litter training the kittens so I definitely want to kill it off so that they don't get reinfected as we are treating for it!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Honestly, your best bet is to steam clean the carpet in that room to really make sure it's gone. If not, use carpet cleaner and give it a shampoo.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Alrighty! We will try that in a couple of days! It is funny to see how differently everyone is growing/learning differently, Andy's Litter all has their own food preferences. Some of the kittens are eating the hard kitten food now, some are eating the canned kitten food, and some will only eat the baby food still. I love watching them all grow!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, it is fun to see all their differences! You are doing an awesome job with your fosters. Thank you! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

laceyloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So cute! I have not checked the forum in a while and your kittens multiplied while I was gone! :D
They all look so good, you are awesome!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So cute! I have not checked the forum in a while and your kittens multiplied while I was gone!

They all look so good, you are awesome!
Lol just a few more!
 They definitely are keeping me busy! I am working another 16 hour shift today, then when I get home everyone is due for their second dose of wormer, plus the Halloween kittens will need their Albon so I definitely will have my hands full! I am having a friend stop by to check and make sure that everyone has food and water! Growing like weeds!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know how you work 16-hour shifts and foster cats and kittens, but kudos to you! Take care of yourself and try not to burn out! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh it is exhausting! Back at work again now! Just a normal shift today though! So I have a weird question. One of my Mom's friends messaged me on facebook (I do not know her, my mom always shares my rescue stuff so that must be how she found me). She wants to know if she can adopt one of Andy's kittens because her cat just had a kitten and it passed away and now her cat is depressed, so she wants to give her another cat to "mother". I told her I would have to think about it because I don't feel comfortable separating one of the kittens from its mother and all of its siblings to give it to a cat who might not even accept it, I mean Andy's kittens are already 5 weeks old.. What are your thoughts? I definitely do not think that I should, but I thought I would ask on here to see what your thoughts on it were. Thanks