Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Also can I rub straight honey on their gums? Or does it need to be watered down?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can put straight honey on their gums. I would give them 1mL every hour until they latch. Will your botfriend be able to take over while you're at work?

Last edited:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten #1 who I was most worried about passed away before we got the honey... She never did really latch. Just weighed them... 74 grams, 76 grams, 80 grams, and 79 grams... They are so small... Do you think they were premature? the ones who are 80 and 79 are the two who are latching really well. the one who is 76 just started latching well once I guide him to a nipple. The 74 grams one I am worried about. He has latched at least once and another kitten pushed him off. I rubbed some honey on his gums and tried to help him latch but he doesn't seem to want to now :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is sad. Unfortunately, the vaccine may have brought about premature labor by a few days. They all have low birth weights. Anything under 90 grams is premature birth weight. You MUST continue to supplement the kitten who is having trouble to give it a chance to make it.

Where is the sister orange kitty?

Last edited:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Sabrina is laying beside of the nesting box, as far as I am aware she has not interacted with the kittens at this point. She is still shy of me so I suspect that is why she hasn't really moved since I have been in their since the birth. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please keep us updated. Those latching should show gains in the next 24 hours. Please ask the shelter not to vaccinate pregnant cats. They really should know better.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok! They are going to let me go in late to work (since this was just an extra shift I picked up) so instead I will work 5:30 to 10:30 so I can hopefully get a few more feedings in before I leave! Kyle will help feed them, I just would rather do it myself lol

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't possibly to supplement too much is it? Also should I be supplementing all of them? Or just the ones that I don't think are latching? I just supplemented all of them- gave the ones who have been latching well 1 ml, the other two I gave a little more. The smallest I think ate 2 ml, the other one ate 1.5ml. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they will take it, then supplement every hour for now. If they get too full they may have less incentive to latch, but you can let 2 hours go by without supplementing the stronger ones and see if they will latch. How is the 74 gram one doing?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
He is the one that took 2ml when I last fed, he still does not seem to be latching. But he doesn't seem like he is fading or anything. He is crawling around his mom and then will snuggle with his siblings. But he doesn't seem to be nursing yet. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like he is coming around! What happens when they are so tiny is they can be born with low blood sugar, which affects their energy and strength for nursing. The supllementing usually resolves it within a couple of days, if not sooner.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok! I am going to weigh them again before I go to work tonight... what is my goal for weight gain? It should be about 10 grams a day right?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are newborns, so you want to see small gains by tonight. Even 1-2 grams initially. Most importantly, no losses. The daily minimum gain should be 6-10 grams in general. They should put on 5-6 grams in the first 24 hours. Let us know the weights before you go to work later.

steph422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to have honey available should we need it for our litter. Does matter what kind? Organic?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I emailed the rescue coordinator about giving them vaccines she said that she didn't think they gave pregnant cats vaccines but she would ask them about it. She just sent me this

"

I followed up on the vaccine situation because I remember it coming up before at our shelter. The other board member said the humane society of the United States recommended we vaccinate as the risk of illness is greater. 

That's kind of a pickle
 what do you think? "

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ugh. They need to use common sense. Vaccines have always been contraindicated in pregnant and lactating queens. [emoji]128528[/emoji]

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Is Lysine safe for pregnant cats? Olivia seems to have a URI or something... I was going to try Lysine before making her a vet appointment. She has been sneezing since I got her, but recently she has been having some discharge from her eyes as well. 

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Getting ready to leave for work, I went ahead and weighed everyone again

1- 74

2- 78

3- 83

4- 82

So everyone is up a couple of grams except for kitten one- which was the one I have been worrying about. But at least he didn't lose any! Everyones bellies felt full when I came in to feed them, so maybe they are starting to latch more consistently? I hope so. 

I will make Olivia an appointment Monday- my vet office is closed Sunday and they close early on Saturdays. I wanted to try the Lysine first because I didn't want to stress her out with a vet visit while pregnant. 

Sabrina is still pretty scared of me, she is always laying by Sadie's nesting box because I blocked off all of the hiding spots because I didnt want them having kittens under the bed... she doesn't look that pregnant to me... I will try to examine her better tomorrow. But I would say that Olivia is farther along than her.