Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I am coordinating with the shelter to get them Friday. It sounds like Saddie might have her babies before then though. They said she started lactating yesterday. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh boy, is there any way to get them sooner, or meet someone halfway?

kittylover100

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I agree you should get her into your place as soon as Sarthur2 Sarthur2 said because you right now are probably her really only (soon to be) good caretaker so yes if you can please try no pressure!

Sending Happy Vibes Again!!![emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji]

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
A volunteer is meeting us halfway but the soonest with my work schedule/my boyfriend's/ and the volunteer's that we would be able to get them is Friday afternoon. Hopefully she will hold off until then, but I feel like she is going to have them today/tomorrow. I also feel like Olivia is going to have her babies today/tomorrow. She seems very close. She doesn't get up to greet me when I come in the room. She just looks up from where she is laying and meows and purrs at me. It does look like she has dried milk on her nipples and they look full so I suspect that she is lactating. Today when I went into the room there was sometimes that she was panting, but that might be because that room gets a little warm sometimes...

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I found someone to foster the 5th pregnant cat that I was contacted to take in, but when I contacted them again they said they changed their mind, that they want to keep her now. So I will be giving them resources to get her spayed after she has the babies and offer to help her rehome them after they are weaned. The 4th pregnant cat that I was contacted about taking (the guy at work that has a pregnant stray at his house that I was talking about maybe putting in my bathroom) I think I found a foster for as well. We just need to go get her, apparently she is only outside of his house a couple of days a week. So hopefully I will only then have the three pregnant cats (along with my other already spayed and neutered fosters), which doesn't seem as overwhelming. lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whew! You've been busy organizing! It's so awesome that you are able to help so many, even if it means finding other fosters. It's really good that you are being met halfway.

Are you still taking the kitties even if they've had the babies by the time you get there? I just hope none of them are in active labor during transport time.

Can the stray be nabbed when she shows up and held in a crate since she only shows up sporadically?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Whew! You've been busy organizing! It's so awesome that you are able to help so many, even if it means finding other fosters. It's really good that you are being met halfway.

Are you still taking the kitties even if they've had the babies by the time you get there? I just hope none of them are in active labor during transport time.

Can the stray be nabbed when she shows up and held in a crate since she only shows up sporadically?
We will still be taking them if she has her babies :) I am hoping she holds off until she gets here though! The guy whos house the stray frequents is supposed to try and contain her the next time she shows up so we will see!
@ashade1 is your Amazon wish list up to date? I'd love to send a few things to help you take care of all your mommas and their babies [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
It is up dated! https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/.../ref=nav_wishlist_lists_1&tag=&tag=thecatsite thank you <3

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow!! You definitely are an guardian angel to all of these babies and momma I could never do it! You are great!!!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! The support, advice, and love I get on here is HUGE!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We got the two pregnant cats from Fayette County and we are home now! Great news- no kittens during the ride. Better news- They LOVE each other! They are grooming each other and loving on each other. Nothing but purrs. Sadie (the one that I was told was lactating) seems to have lost her mucus plug I believe. The carrier was wet (not pee) and she is having some discharge. For now her and Sabrina are grooming each other, and ignoring the two nesting boxes I made them they are snuggling in one of my dog's crates lol. (no dogs in the room with them). It is so sweet. I am uploading a video now I will post the link when it posts!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They very clearly already know each other from before they were rescued, and are extremely happy to be together! This is so heartwarming! I had a feeling they would be fine together. So glad you decided to get both. Ideally, you will rehome them as a pair eventually. [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy that they love each other! They said that Sabrina was really uncomfortable in the shelter and not very friendly but she is very open here! They both are full of love and purrs! Sadie is definitely a lot more social- she comes to me when I talk to them. They look basically identical lol I am going to have problems telling them apart in the beginning. I am waiting to hear back if they had flea treated them at all before I give them a dose of Advantage II on them, I don't actively see any fleas but if they do have them I want to take care of them before kittens. Another thing I am a little worried about... on their intake forms for the other shelter it looks like they combo vaccinated them... I am not sure why they would do that when they knew they were pregnant... isn't that bad?

kittylover100

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love when cats act so adorable and just like make friends on their own so that is so adorable and cute!!![emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vaccines are safer when the kittens are further along. When were they given? In general, pregnant cats should not be vaccinated. Vaccines can cause miscarriages and birth defects in the early stages of pregnancy.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
They gave them combo shots 4 days ago, no babies or progress on labor yet. A little more discharge from Sadie, odorless and colorless. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens should not be affected by shots given four days ago. I know those cats are happy to be out of their cages at the shelter! Sounds like Sadie is getting close to delivery time!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Other than me seeing that discharge and her grooming herself a lot I don't see any other signs of labor, we will see how this progresses!