Rescue cat - refeeding syndrome?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late update but I've been exhausted and slept for the rest of the day after we went to the shelter..
The lady greeting us was actually really sweet and showed compassion for our situation... But she was bound by the rules of the organization.. No way we could get the cat with us home. We then talked about adoption from the shelter. She told us that the cat is gonna be seen by the vet on tuesday, and if it all goes well, we can call in and make an appointment, so they can consider if we meet their requierments for adoption.. BUT she said that it's already likely that they won't adopt her to a family with other cats, cause shes afraid of the other cats at the shelter. I told her that our cat Zombie and this cat knows each other from outside, and we've seen them be completely cool with each other. But then she said that they only will consider it their "cat behaviour experts" point of view and they only consider what behaviour they see in the shelter. I was so furious and I still am. Poor little angel, of course shes scared of the other cats at the shelter.. They doesn't even seem interested in giving her a chance.. They wouldn't even let us see her today!!
I'm sick to my stomach,I can only imagine how you feel..... are you thinking about plan B?
It's so against my grain to encourage anyone else to do anything that's not honest and straightforward but I know exactly what I would do....

You would think these people would be THRILLED that there is someone who will go the extra mile for this little cat that's not a perfect candidate for adoption.... I've worked with many an organization to do adoption assessments based on behavior,gave my recommendations and in many individual situations I requested home visits where I could observe the environment and owner interaction with resident pets...... you cannot see a cats personality frightened,confined and in an unfamiliar place-its just absurd

If my little Bella was placed in a cage in a shelter she'd be screaming bloody murder and wouldn't let anyone near her,not man or beast-complete opposite of who she is..... I don't understand an organization like this,sounds like those big County facilities that just don't know what they're doing but gets funded from our tax dollars

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so against my grain to encourage anyone else to do anything that's not honest and straightforward but I know exactly what I would do....
I agree with this entirely, as I also don't want to encourage anyone to do anything illegal. But if I was dealing with this case, I'd think about trying to bribe someone. Just hypothetically speaking, of course. This is not advice.

For an employee to want to adhere strictly to rules, they probably are worried about their job. It's not always that they are uncaring. They may be more worried about their own livelihood.

That's the only extra sentiment I wanted to add to everything that's been said.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with this entirely, as I also don't want to encourage anyone to do anything illegal. But if I was dealing with this case, I'd think about trying to bribe someone. Just hypothetically speaking, of course. This is not advice.

For an employee to want to adhere strictly to rules, they probably are worried about their job. It's not always that they are uncaring. They may be more worried about their own livelihood.

That's the only extra sentiment I wanted to add to everything that's been said.
Hypothetically speaking,one just might get somewhere for a price? Perhaps someone might consider this a "plan c" since an "ordinary finder" may have spotted a missing cat flyer and contacted the "original owner" because tye cat the shelter picked up looks exactly like the one in tye photo!!!!!.... Hypothetically,of course

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sick to my stomach,I can only imagine how you feel..... are you thinking about plan B?

You would think these people would be THRILLED that there is someone who will go the extra mile for this little cat that's not a perfect candidate for adoption.... I've worked with many an organization to do adoption assessments based on behavior,gave my recommendations and in many individual situations I requested home visits where I could observe the environment and owner interaction with resident pets...... you cannot see a cats personality frightened,confined and in an unfamiliar place-its just absurd

If my little Bella was placed in a cage in a shelter she'd be screaming bloody murder and wouldn't let anyone near her,not man or beast-complete opposite of who she is..... I don't understand an organization like this,sounds like those big County facilities that just don't know what they're doing but gets funded from our tax dollars
You are absolutely right. I totally agree with you. I can only imagine the same thing happening to my Zombie, if she was locked in in a cage at a shelter 😱 And she is normally very friendly with other cats. It's good to hear the point of view from someone who has inside-experience from an organization/shelter. I am also wondering why they won't request home-visit. It makes so much better sense. But I guess it's not what they wanna spend their resources on.. And yes they are financially supported by the government, they get like 1.8 million dollars a year.. 🙃

My neighbour just called them to give them her point of view.. She has also been observing the cat for several months, she has an indoor male cat herself. The cats have been "talking" to each other from her balcony, seeming very friendly with each other. She has also observed the cat with other cats in the neighbourhood. But the selter gave her the same response as they gave me, «they are going to make their own assessment based on her behaviour with the other cats at the shelter»..
What's so funny, is that I've had a look at the cats they have out for adoption on their webside, and like 98% of the cats are marked as «cannot live with other cats » lol, so I'm thinking that it has more to do with the enviroment in the shelter, rather than the cats themselves? 😅🤦🏻‍♀️

I will call tomorrow, after she has hopefully passed the vet check 🤞🏼 to talk about adoption possibilities..

We tried to find someone who dared to claim the cat as theirs, but we couldn't find someone who was willing to do so..
I'll keep you posted 🤞🏼❤

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are absolutely right. I totally agree with you. I can only imagine the same thing happening to my Zombie, if she was locked in in a cage at a shelter 😱 And she is normally very friendly with other cats. It's good to hear the point of view from someone who has inside-experience from an organization/shelter. I am also wondering why they won't request home-visit. It makes so much better sense. But I guess it's not what they wanna spend their resources on.. And yes they are financially supported by the government, they get like 1.8 million dollars a year.. 🙃

My neighbour just called them to give them her point of view.. She has also been observing the cat for several months, she has an indoor male cat herself. The cats have been "talking" to each other from her balcony, seeming very friendly with each other. She has also observed the cat with other cats in the neighbourhood. But the selter gave her the same response as they gave me, «they are going to make their own assessment based on her behaviour with the other cats at the shelter»..
What's so funny, is that I've had a look at the cats they have out for adoption on their webside, and like 98% of the cats are marked as «cannot live with other cats » lol, so I'm thinking that it has more to do with the enviroment in the shelter, rather than the cats themselves? 😅🤦🏻‍♀️

I will call tomorrow, after she has hopefully passed the vet check 🤞🏼 to talk about adoption possibilities..

We tried to find someone who dared to claim the cat as theirs, but we couldn't find someone who was willing to do so..
I'll keep you posted 🤞🏼❤
Do they do home visit to see if the house is suitable?
If not how would they know if you had a cat?
If they know you have a cat maybe you could say your cat wasn't yours you were cat sitting?? Just trying to figure out how to get her back to you.....

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Is there no one you can trust enough to say she belongs to them and then you can get her out? As long as they know you are attached to the whole thing you won't make headway. I am not one to promote being dishonest yet I will share if it came to a kitty I loved and wanted to protect I would.
You have tried to do things the way they want now it is time to pull out the big guns and rescue her. I hope I am not coming across as rude yet you tried to do it the right way per say now just do what you have to do before you no longer have access please 💜💜💜

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do they do home visit to see if the house is suitable?
If not how would they know if you had a cat?
If they know you have a cat maybe you could say your cat wasn't yours you were cat sitting?? Just trying to figure out how to get her back to you.....
We already told them that we have a cat (actually we have two cats lol, but did only mention one of them, so we'll stick to that atleast). At that point, we didn't know that they didn't wanna adopt her out to a home with other cats. We though that the fact that we have a cat who has been friendly with her, only would be positive for them to hear.. But we were wrong 😭 I wish I knew that earlier, so I wouldn't have mentioned it at all...

Any tips on what I can say to them, to make them change their mind about it? 😩

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there no one you can trust enough to say she belongs to them and then you can get her out? As long as they know you are attached to the whole thing you won't make headway. I am not one to promote being dishonest yet I will share if it came to a kitty I loved and wanted to protect I would.
You have tried to do things the way they want now it is time to pull out the big guns and rescue her. I hope I am not coming across as rude yet you tried to do it the right way per say now just do what you have to do before you no longer have access please 💜💜💜
We tried finding someone who would say that she belonged to them, but its hard because people find it uncomfortable.. Plus they require a lot of documentation, as old pictures/posts etc.. And it requires someone who is good at lying and answering all their question in a credible way 😳

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I don't know besides you guys just trying. Be persistant and loud (figuratively speaking) do you think if you brought your cat to see her in the shelter she would react in a good way?

Only other thing is trying to find someone to adopt her for you... this is just the most messed up situation. It really is so sad they have someone who truly has already connected with this kitty and she was in your home already and had positive interactions with your cats and they wont even listen to that... Ughhhh it's so infuriating

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
We already told them that we have a cat (actually we have two cats lol, but did only mention one of them, so we'll stick to that atleast). At that point, we didn't know that they didn't wanna adopt her out to a home with other cats. We though that the fact that we have a cat who has been friendly with her, only would be positive for them to hear.. But we were wrong 😭 I wish I knew that earlier, so I wouldn't have mentioned it at all...

Any tips on what I can say to them, to make them change their mind about it? 😩
No ,PRAY honey and ask God to Make the Way,Open doors-and then PRAY more- keep at it,do not give up....

I wish I were there to help you but I'm praying with you and for you

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly I don't know besides you guys just trying. Be persistant and loud (figuratively speaking) do you think if you brought your cat to see her in the shelter she would react in a good way?

Only other thing is trying to find someone to adopt her for you... this is just the most messed up situation. It really is so sad they have someone who truly has already connected with this kitty and she was in your home already and had positive interactions with your cats and they wont even listen to that... Ughhhh it's so infuriating
We thought about bringing our cat in to see, but honestly I don't think that's a good idea because Zombie is probably gonna be a bit stressed out at that place aswell...

BUT we found a plan B! 😍 My boyfriends father will try to adopt her. We will still try to push on them tomorrow to let us adopt her, but if it they still won't change their mind, my BF's father will try. And if that doesn't work, my BF's father also has a friend who might wanna help 😂❤😍

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
We thought about bringing our cat in to see, but honestly I don't think that's a good idea because Zombie is probably gonna be a bit stressed out at that place aswell...

BUT we found a plan B! 😍 My boyfriends father will try to adopt her. We will still try to push on them tomorrow to let us adopt her, but if it they still won't change their mind, my BF's father will try. And if that doesn't work, my BF's father also has a friend who might wanna help 😂❤😍
Great news!,I'm glad you've got help and support-I have Faith this is going to work out with your persistence

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is incredible news. Omgoodness I'm getting antsy like she is coming home with me... I am so invested in you and that beautiful kitty!
I apologize if you are not religious but I've been praying that it all works out whatever way God intends. It is always hard when something is going on not knowing God's reasoning..
Honestly I truly believe God gives us trials and tribulations because without the bad why would we ever appreciate the good
Anyway back to that little lady I truly hope she gets to come home to you guys!

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is incredible news. Omgoodness I'm getting antsy like she is coming home with me... I am so invested in you and that beautiful kitty!
I apologize if you are not religious but I've been praying that it all works out whatever way God intends. It is always hard when something is going on not knowing God's reasoning..
Honestly I truly believe God gives us trials and tribulations because without the bad why would we ever appreciate the good
Anyway back to that little lady I truly hope she gets to come home to you guys!
Thank you so much for praying for us ❤
I also believe that without trials in life, we wouldn't appreciate the good.
Thank you everyone here in the thread for being so invested in our situation, and showing us love and support. ❤ I will keep you updated on the situation tomorrow 🥰
Hopefully the little baby will be with us soon 🥺