Rescue cat - refeeding syndrome?

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

There has been a stray in our neighborhood for the past months, which me and my boyfriend managed to trap and bring home tonight. We think it's a female based on her size, but we are not sure, as the cat is very skinny, and long-haired, so it's hard to see what's hidden under the tail. The poor has lost a lot of hair and has some wounds. We've been in touch with the local shelter who will pick her up tomorrow, as it's 3 am here now (Denmark).
However, she was super hungry so we've fed her a bag of wetfood and a handfull of dryfood. And 150 ml-ish of cat milk.

It just came to my mind, that as with humans, cats are also in risk of developing refeeding-syndrome if they start eating too many calorie, too fast, when being underweight and malnourished. But this is my first time rescuing a cat, so I don't have much experience.

So my question is, should I hold back on feeding her, what are your thoughts/experiences?

Thank you. Here are some pictures of the poor baby

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, she seeks me out, and wants me to pet her and starts purring, but all of a sudden she starts hissing (even though im not petting her different or anything). Anyone knows what these mixed signals means? 😅 I am a bit confused. Right now she's sleeping next to my lap🤷🏻‍♀️

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really dont know anything about your first question..
For your second inquiry:
How long are you petting her before she starts hissing?
Are you doing dull body strokes?

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm doing dull body strokes. I just petted her for a long time, and she even let me pet her stomach. I did it all very carefully, and suddenly she hissed again. Maybe she tries telling me to keep a little distance, as she might have some trust issues 🤷🏻‍♀️ idk.

Also, I noted her stomach round and hard so first I thought she might be pregnant. But her nipples look comepletely normal. 🤷🏻‍♀️

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could easily becoming over stimulated. Some people's cats when they become over stimulated go from purring to biting and scratching..
If it is over stimulation if you stop doing too many full body strokes at once by mixing it up between that and then stay around her head and cheek area for a little bit she should continue enjoying it..
A lot of cats experience over stimulation from too much of the full body strokes..
Another possibility especially being she is a stray and you just brought her in she could have an injury and it is hurting her..
It does seem that she does like the pets and affection.
Also could be she doesn't completely trust you.
If she isn't spayed there is a chance she is pregnant.
The vet tomorrow will be able to give her a thorough exam and let you know.

With you saying you just did it for a long time and she hissed again it seems like it is highly probable that it is over stimulation try mixing it up break it up between full body and just the head area. That should help

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your answers ❤
I will give her some space now for the rest of the night. I hope she will pass the vet check tomorrow without any major issues. She seems like a very sweet girl who deserves a second chance

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for giving this lovely baby a chance!!! I kind of think it is funny we keep calling her a girl.. not knowing lol anyway if she or he isn't spayed/neutered please also set up an appointment for that

At the appointment tomorrow ask the vet about your first question about the feeding, because I really don't know anything about that.

Have a good rest of your night.

Thank you again for giving this beautiful baby the chance to finally have a happy loving family!!!!

And if you could please post an update after the vet appointment. Hope it all goes very well.

Last edited:

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hahah yes, idk but I think she looks more feminine 😂 But I might be wrong. I will hold back with the food for tonight just to be sure. She's already got some so I'm confident she won't starve.

Here is a picture of her laying down. I think that her stomach looks round, thinking of how skinny she is (you can pretty much feel every bone on her body). But it might be worms aswell?
We'll get the answers tomorrow, I'm just curious haha.

I'll keep you updated 🙌🏼

Attachments

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

There has been a stray in our neighborhood for the past months, which me and my boyfriend managed to trap and bring home tonight. We think it's a female based on her size, but we are not sure, as the cat is very skinny, and long-haired, so it's hard to see what's hidden under the tail. The poor has lost a lot of hair and has some wounds. We've been in touch with the local shelter who will pick her up tomorrow, as it's 3 am here now (Denmark).
However, she was super hungry so we've fed her a bag of wetfood and a handfull of dryfood. And 150 ml-ish of cat milk.

It just came to my mind, that as with humans, cats are also in risk of developing refeeding-syndrome if they start eating too many calorie, too fast, when being underweight and malnourished. But this is my first time rescuing a cat, so I don't have much experience.

So my question is, should I hold back on feeding her, what are your thoughts/experiences?

Thank you. Here are some pictures of the poor baby
Personally I would feed her in small increments. That way she can eat but is not gorging herself. It's so hard to see an animal that is starving and not just want to comfort them and feed them. You are sweet person to give her a chance of a better life 💜💜💜. Thank you

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hahah yes, idk but I think she looks more feminine 😂 But I might be wrong. I will hold back with the food for tonight just to be sure. She's already got some so I'm confident she won't starve.

Here is a picture of her laying down. I think that her stomach looks round, thinking of how skinny she is (you can pretty much feel every bone on her body). But it might be worms aswell?
We'll get the answers tomorrow, I'm just curious haha.

I'll keep you updated 🙌🏼
Normally is worm's when the belly is round like that. Most of the time its an easy fix. She is in good hands 😄

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm doing dull body strokes. I just petted her for a long time, and she even let me pet her stomach. I did it all very carefully, and suddenly she hissed again. Maybe she tries telling me to keep a little distance, as she might have some trust issues 🤷🏻‍♀️ idk.

Also, I noted her stomach round and hard so first I thought she might be pregnant. But her nipples look comepletely normal. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Sweet spot is right under the jaw/cheek area gets them every time lol 😂

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she loves the under the jaw-spot 😌

I guess it's just worms then, since I can't see or feel any swollen nipples. Such a gentle baby. I wonder what happened to her 😢
It could also be she ate a little too much at once if she hasn't been eating well out on her own.. it's hard to tell. The thing that matters is she is getting lots of love she seems to trust you which is amazing. Also she has her appointment set up already. You are doing everything for her OR HIM lmao when I look at the picture I see a her lol.. Anyway that precious baby got lucky that you and your husband got her and are really putting fourth the effort to help and love her and provide for her.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know and it's horrible that they try to hide all their pain and discomfort from us, (the ones who want them to be healthy) we would get them the help if we knew something was wrong..
That's why usually depending on the situation I will recommend taking them to the vet.
I'd rather take my baby to the vet spend a couple hundred bucks to make sure my baby is ok than wait and things get bad and the symptoms get way worse then have a very sick cat that could have been an easy fix if caught early and a huge vet bill that could all have been avoided.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know and it's horrible that they try to hide all their pain and discomfort from us, (the ones who want them to be healthy) we would get them the help if we knew something was wrong..
That's why usually depending on the situation I will recommend taking them to the vet.
I'd rather take my baby to the vet spend a couple hundred bucks to make sure my baby is ok than wait and things get bad and the symptoms get way worse then have a very sick cat that could have been an easy fix if caught early and a huge vet bill that could all have been avoided.
Agreed I had a tortie that hated the vet because they really didn't like her ( she was miss treated most of the time because she was hard to handle) they would have to put the leather hawk gloves on. She had to be put down because of bladder stones and she would have had to have meds, special food ( and she wouldn't take meds) but if I could have found a vet I trusted I could have maybe caught it early enough,but sadly I did not and she was my true Love my 💜 and soul this is her lol in all her glory she loved to lay on her back and show all her stuff 🤣🤣🤣

RIP BABYLOVE

Attachments

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so she was just picked up by one of the ladies from the shelter who will take her to the vet.. They will check if she has a chip and contact the owner if so.. She might be an indoor-runaway aswell.. I'm so scared she is sick and they will just put her down 😢 Fingers crossed for little babygirl who is already missed from here.. ❤