Rescue cat - refeeding syndrome?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay guys so I've not been able to put this aside today. Slept 1 hour the past 24 hour and I'm in the middle of my nightshift at work now, hurray πŸ˜‚

Anyways, got in touch with the lady from the other shelter, and she encouraged me to go to the big shelter and claim the cat back. So that's what I'm gonna try to do tomorrow. Wish me luck 😀❀

This shelter (the biggest and most recognized in DK) has a lot of simimar stories to mine.. They even had a big case in the news where they lost a lot of monthly supporters.. Lol πŸ™„ Wish I knew before..

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If for whatever reason this doesnt work could your boyfriend call and see what people need to bring to prove that she is someone's pet?
If after finding out what you need for proof if it is just something like photos could you have your boyfriend go in and claim her you all have a couple pictures of her..
It is just so horrible that they are like that. They seem like they only want adopt her out this way they can get money... this is the vibe they are giving... like you would gladly take her and take care of her and they decline... makes no sense! I'm so sorry you are going through this!!!
I hate that I'm even recommending something as untruthful as this but ugh it's just a crappy thing they are doing!!!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I spoke with a good friend today,she's an Attorney ,her area of expertise is Animal Law in the State of Florida ..I did not expect a 2 hour conversation with tins of case references throughout the United States!

Anyway,the rights of original owners and ordinary "finders " are drastically different plus it greatly depends on local jurisdiction and governing Law of the State- one commonality is that we all consider pets as family but the Law,in every State clearly defines pets as property

So,having said thst an original owner has legal rights to their property and all shelters are required to institute a "holding period " ,usually 5 days ( to locate original owner if causd to believe it is someones property)before they have the right to legally dispose of "property " by adoption or euthanizimg,I'm the case of "strays" tye holding period can be as short as 2 to 3 days.... an animal may not be fostered,adopted or euthanized prior to the end of holding period where afterwards becomes the shelters property and gives them tye legal right to do with they want.....

Moral of the story (imo) without writing 45 pages here is to act quickly as either the ordinary finder or better yet- original owner-the burden of proof is not very difficult and in many cases where there is no paperwork,microchip or photos then proof of ownership can be as simple as giving identifying scars,Unusual markings or even the animal responding to its name..... it is at the shelters discretion what they accept as proof

If you were tye original owner you could call the police,file a report and go thst route to retrieve your "property".... as the ordinary "finder" you are going to have to put in your best efforts to talk to the right person and since you did not sign any paperwork this is the same as though the animal was "found " on the loose,roaming...it's a he said/she said ( they covered their buttons without paperwork )

Keep talking,go in person-if you could afford(or have an attorney) you could proceed in that manner but the clock is ticking- it seems most shelters that do not want to foster adults and conduct themselves in this manner just want to get animals of the street,its highly likely not a "no kill"t's cost effective to dispose of animals and that's very very sad ...... My friend said a substantial donation might make a significant different

I wish I would have heard better news regarding the Law but my dear friend said all you need is to get the right person to understand you want to provide a good home for this cat and had no idea you were not next in line for a phone call to come and get her if original owner could not be found

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spoke with a good friend today,she's an Attorney ,her area of expertise is Animal Law in the State of Florida ..I did not expect a 2 hour conversation with tins of case references throughout the United States!

Anyway,the rights of original owners and ordinary "finders " are drastically different plus it greatly depends on local jurisdiction and governing Law of the State- one commonality is that we all consider pets as family but the Law,in every State clearly defines pets as property

So,having said thst an original owner has legal rights to their property and all shelters are required to institute a "holding period " ,usually 5 days ( to locate original owner if causd to believe it is someones property)before they have the right to legally dispose of "property " by adoption or euthanizimg,I'm the case of "strays" tye holding period can be as short as 2 to 3 days.... an animal may not be fostered,adopted or euthanized prior to the end of holding period where afterwards becomes the shelters property and gives them tye legal right to do with they want.....

Moral of the story (imo) without writing 45 pages here is to act quickly as either the ordinary finder or better yet- original owner-the burden of proof is not very difficult and in many cases where there is no paperwork,microchip or photos then proof of ownership can be as simple as giving identifying scars,Unusual markings or even the animal responding to its name..... it is at the shelters discretion what they accept as proof

If you were tye original owner you could call the police,file a report and go thst route to retrieve your "property".... as the ordinary "finder" you are going to have to put in your best efforts to talk to the right person and since you did not sign any paperwork this is the same as though the animal was "found " on the loose,roaming...it's a he said/she said ( they covered their buttons without paperwork )

Keep talking,go in person-if you could afford(or have an attorney) you could proceed in that manner but the clock is ticking- it seems most shelters that do not want to foster adults and conduct themselves in this manner just want to get animals of the street,its highly likely not a "no kill"t's cost effective to dispose of animals and that's very very sad ...... My friend said a substantial donation might make a significant different

I wish I would have heard better news regarding the Law but my dear friend said all you need is to get the right person to understand you want to provide a good home for this cat and had no idea you were not next in line for a phone call to come and get her if original owner could not be found
Thank you so much for your throughout explanation. It think it does work the same way in Denmark. The good thing is that she won't be euthanized while she's on "hold". I think it's 72 hours here.

But OMG I hate bureaucracy 😩

I'll try a humble approach at first, hoping that the person I talked to yesterday does NOT work weekends πŸ˜‚

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If for whatever reason this doesnt work could your boyfriend call and see what people need to bring to prove that she is someone's pet?
If after finding out what you need for proof if it is just something like photos could you have your boyfriend go in and claim her you all have a couple pictures of her..
It is just so horrible that they are like that. They seem like they only want adopt her out this way they can get money... this is the vibe they are giving... like you would gladly take her and take care of her and they decline... makes no sense! I'm so sorry you are going through this!!!
I hate that I'm even recommending something as untruthful as this but ugh it's just a crappy thing they are doing!!!
We actually thought about it, but both me and my boyfriend has been involved with phone calls to the shelter now, unfortunately 😩
But if the first plan doesn't succeed, we could always find a 3rd person who might be willing to do us that favor... But then the shelter might notice that somethings up.. But what can they say πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
C Chainreaver

Yeah,I hate bureaucracy too and even more I hate when people are simply unreasonable and inconsiderate,without compassion..... but don't quit on this girl!I believe you can get her and will- love conquers all!I'm praying for your successful rescue here

You are going to get the right person-you have to make them understand you would not have released her if you knew she would not be RETURNED to you if she was not microchipped....that's the leg to stand on as ordinary finder.... you were told she'd be scanned and checked by a Vet,then you'd be called.....nicely,begging & pleading before you get passed off!

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
C Chainreaver

Yeah,I hate bureaucracy too and even more I hate when people are simply unreasonable and inconsiderate,without compassion..... but don't quit on this girl!I believe you can get her and will- love conquers all!I'm praying for your successful rescue here

You are going to get the right person-you have to make them understand you would not have released her if you knew she would not be RETURNED to you if she was not microchipped....that's the leg to stand on as ordinary finder.... you were told she'd be scanned and checked by a Vet,then you'd be called.....nicely,begging & pleading before you get passed off!
Yes, I will do it just like that. It is the simple truth. Thank you so much all of you, for the support ❀

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
We actually thought about it, but both me and my boyfriend has been involved with phone calls to the shelter now, unfortunately 😩
But if the first plan doesn't succeed, we could always find a 3rd person who might be willing to do us that favor... But then the shelter might notice that somethings up.. But what can they say πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ
This is going to sound very calculated and not very truthful but I'm gonna say it anyway-make up a flyer with her photo,lost cat and somebody's phone number.....

So,you saw a flyer and called because you think the cat in the photo is the cat that's missing--- viola,owner appears to claim her cat( cats going to be skittish and scared when owner shows up because she was missing 2 months)

Is that a really bad deception or a last resort because there's no other options?I'll tell you,I'm a God fearing,Jesus loving honest person-Id beg,borrow,steal or lie for that baby and that's the truth

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is going to sound very calculated and not very truthful but I'm gonna say it anyway-make up a flyer with her photo,lost cat and somebody's phone number.....

So,you saw a flyer and called because you think the cat in the photo is the cat that's missing--- viola,owner appears to claim her cat( cats going to be skittish and scared when owner shows up because she was missing 2 months)

Is that a really bad deception or a last resort because there's no other options?I'll tell you,I'm a God fearing,Jesus loving honest person-Id beg,borrow,steal or lie for that baby and that's the truth
I'm the exact same... I feel bad but I don't in the same sense...
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way..
I would do anything for that little angel!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the exact same... I feel bad but I don't in the same sense...
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way..
I would do anything for that little angel!
Oh you're not alone,I might be the only one to say it out loud( doubt that though,lol) but I think many of us will fight fire with fire for a fur baby and do whatever it takes to make things "right" -sometimes people give you no other options

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh you're not alone,I might be the only one to say it out loud( doubt that though,lol) but I think many of us will fight fire with fire for a fur baby and do whatever it takes to make things "right" -sometimes people give you no other options
This is so true!
I will protect my baby like a momma bear protecting her cub. I would go to the ends of the world and back for Gabby. I'd fight tooth and nail to protect her from anything/everything and anyone/everyone.

What people don't understand is how these aren't just cats or dogs or whatever animal we might have as a pet... these are our family.

And in this situation this poor girl found a great person and she seemed to be at ease in their home. Why put her through all the undue stress?! It is so infuriating. I really hope they were able to get her out somehow today.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Don't you take the flyer get someone you know and trust to do it use there number and make the flyer look distressed. That way it looks like she have been looking for her cat for two months. πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late update but I've been exhausted and slept for the rest of the day after we went to the shelter..
The lady greeting us was actually really sweet and showed compassion for our situation... But she was bound by the rules of the organization.. No way we could get the cat with us home. We then talked about adoption from the shelter. She told us that the cat is gonna be seen by the vet on tuesday, and if it all goes well, we can call in and make an appointment, so they can consider if we meet their requierments for adoption.. BUT she said that it's already likely that they won't adopt her to a family with other cats, cause shes afraid of the other cats at the shelter. I told her that our cat Zombie and this cat knows each other from outside, and we've seen them be completely cool with each other. But then she said that they only will consider it their "cat behaviour experts" point of view and they only consider what behaviour they see in the shelter. I was so furious and I still am. Poor little angel, of course shes scared of the other cats at the shelter.. They doesn't even seem interested in giving her a chance.. They wouldn't even let us see her today!!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late update but I've been exhausted and slept for the rest of the day after we went to the shelter..
The lady greeting us was actually really sweet and showed compassion for our situation... But she was bound by the rules of the organization.. No way we could get the cat with us home. We then talked about adoption from the shelter. She told us that the cat is gonna be seen by the vet on tuesday, and if it all goes well, we can call in and make an appointment, so they can consider if we meet their requierments for adoption.. BUT she said that it's already likely that they won't adopt her to a family with other cats, cause shes afraid of the other cats at the shelter. I told her that our cat Zombie and this cat knows each other from outside, and we've seen them be completely cool with each other. But then she said that they only will consider it their "cat behaviour experts" point of view and they only consider what behaviour they see in the shelter. I was so furious and I still am. Poor little angel, of course shes scared of the other cats at the shelter.. They doesn't even seem interested in giving her a chance.. They wouldn't even let us see her today!!
Do you have a friend who doesn't have cats who could go and try to adopt her for you guys?