Reintroducing Littermates

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Uh oh. Now they are going to be best friends and be in cahoots driving you nuts. Lol. They are crazy, adorable.
I fear you are right on the being in cahoots.  
     What fun we are all going to have if @seasaltysiren  is kind enough and has enough time to keep us posted on their antics.  

That picture of Misty helping with the dishes is brilliant, it's a shame she wasn't caught in the act before @Anne  put together her recent photo compilations of cats helping out around the home.  Misty would have fitted right in with that crowd of hard working kitties.  

mishicats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mysti will be spayed in June. We are going on vacation this month, and I'd like to be home during her recovery.
Yes, they will chase paper balls.
Theyre both in my bed right now... one on the right side of my thigh and the other laying on both my thighs. Acting like little angels. Im guessing theyve figured it all out now lol. They griped a little bit between that last nap and this one, but they were definitely playing more quietly... they were even both under a blanket with part of it hanging between them, pouncing at each other.
Just a heads up. When you bring Mysti home after getting spayed there might be a problem between the two of them again. Mysti will smell different for a while. You might want to keep them seperate for a little bit and do sent swapping right away.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a heads up. When you bring Mysti home after getting spayed there might be a problem between the two of them again. Mysti will smell different for a while. You might want to keep them seperate for a little bit and do sent swapping right away.
Good point. My cats always have to give each other a good sniffing once they come home from the vet. Usually some hissing and growling for a while also. Thankfully it only lasts for a few moments .

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Speechless, look at the little paw touching head too!  

You might want to be careful keeping them seperated too much as you could end up going through the re-introductions thing again.  It is difficult when they haven't had their surgery at the same time but you might find that they manage to work out between them what is and isn't OK post surgery.  Once anastheia is all worn off, maybe supervise closely and try to keep together when you can see them and intervene if things do get too rough?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seasaltysiren

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay. I'm just super nervous because when Gypsy had her surgery (we didn't have Mysti yet) she had to wear the cone because she wouldn't stop biting at her incision. It was terrifying lol.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   When 2 become 1.  Aren't they precious. 

It looks like they are getting along pretty nicely now, though I am sure there are still squeels, hisses and fur flying when they are awake and at play.  

Take it as it comes @seasaltysiren  , they are all different with the surgery. My two girls didn't bother their stitches at all but I know others have.  Hopefully they will be fine with each other and a couple of quiet days without too much leaping and bounding will see them through the most worrying time for you.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Okay. I'm just super nervous because when Gypsy had her surgery (we didn't have Mysti yet) she had to wear the cone because she wouldn't stop biting at her incision. It was terrifying lol.
Gotta agree with @MServant there. They are all different in how they act after surgery.

If you find you have to put a cone on Mysti, ...then I'd probably put a "paper plate cone" on Gypsy, too.

Just so Mysti feels better about it.

(I think I saw a few threads or posts, where people actually made their own 'paper plate cone guards' for kittens.) It sounded rather practical.

If Gypsy is still too rough, then yes, close supervision and short separation, until Mysti heals.

Maybe even try teaching Gypsy to wear a small harness, if you can,...and that way you'd have more control of her, if she got rambunctious.

(though the kittens might be too small for a harness, yet.)

seasaltysiren

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:
Mysti is still awaiting her desexing appointment. I plan to get her in this month. 
They get along great, they still wrestle around and pounce each other but I can't remember the last time I heard them hiss or growl. 

Here are some updated pictures. They're a little over 4 months old now. 

Awwww they're so cute! Glad they're getting along now!

seasaltysiren

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

They are super cute.  
   How gorgeous is Mytsi!  I hope you manage to get that appointment booked in for her and all goes well.  

I know she's gotten so much more cream on her than when we got her! It's really shining through! She's taken a liking to me, and Gyspy prefers my husband... when we first got them Gyspy was "mine" and Mysti "his" haha.

Last edited:

seasaltysiren

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We finally got Mysti fixed last week, and they are back to hating each other! *face palm*

Just lots of hissing and growling, no swatting or anything serious. My mom is due to come over tomorrow with her bird, so we will have to keep the cats put away separate from each other when no one is in the living room...

It's a mess. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She smells different from being at the vet. Rub a bit of vanilla (the real kind) under each of their chins. They should get over it quickly!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
She smells different from being at the vet. Rub a bit of vanilla (the real kind) under each of their chins. They should get over it quickly!
When I had 2 cats, despite being fine with each other the rest of the time they always had spats when someone had been to the vet....  it took a day or two to settle even though they were fine normally.  Fingers crossed a couple of days with basic introduction tricks like the scent swapping and masking work and you get back to them being settled again.