Regifting: Yea or Nay?

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't believe what some people 'give' as a gift. Pick up a gift card that you know someone will use. The large supermarkets sell an array of gift cards, so it is like a one stop shop for them.
And if you don't know what stores they like, a Visa gift card is always welcome, as are gas cards.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have both given and received re-gifted gifts, and I'm fine with both. I see it as a way to curtail excess consumerism and reduce waste.

I also appreciate the thought of someone thinking of me more than the gifting itself--to that end I'd prefer to receive a thoughtfully written card than a gift. If I have to give a gift and am not sure exactly what they want, I'd rather they tell me than to guess. Some people see it as taking the mystery out of the gift-giving, but in my experience, most of the times people don't know what each other wants exactly, and so when they give a "random" gift, it usually results in some sort of feelings of disappointment. But if I ask and they tell me what they want, I know for sure that they'll enjoy it. The same goes for when others want to give me a gift.

I recently listened to a podcast that echoes some of these thoughts: The Secret of Gift Giving.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've received gifts that were obviously regifted. They still had some of the old wrapping paper on them.

I've regifted some things but usually ask a friend if they could use it. I received a really nice down vest. I'm allergic to down. I asked a friend if she wanted it. The old woman across the street routinely comes by with a gift and it's usually something that we will not use. This year she gave me a sparkly, bright jewelry box with a big letter K on it. It's 100% not my style. I'll probably donate it.