Regifting: Yea or Nay?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Have you re-gifted anything? Have you ever been re-gifted (that you know of)?

I re-gifted one time. It was something I was given that I didn't care for at all. But I knew that a friend would simply love it. And I gave it to her. She was tickled to the moon and back. And I was honest; I told her that it had been given to me, but I thought she would like it more. And she really did. That was my only time.

To my knowledge, I have not been re-gifted. But really, how would I know unless the giver told me?

What about you?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends. If the gift is from someone that I love and loves me back, then I never regift. If it's a gift for someone who isnt close to me (for example a coworker) then yes I have regifted. I just got a Ghirardelli cup with chocolates and gave it away. I think it is better to regift than to have someone sitting around.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fine with re-gifting...as long as it's in the same context as what you, Winchester Winchester , describe. Why let a gift go to waste when it will bring so much joy to someone else?
I can't think of a time where I've re-gifted anything, but I have given things I don't need or want anymore to others...not as a gift on a specific holiday, but just as a..."hey, you want this?". Sometimes they were originally gifts, but I just don't have use or any attachment to them any more.
I have been given a "re-gift" before...and I wasn't impressed. My step-brother and his wife gave me a gift that all the siblings got the previous year from a relative. So yeah, now I have two of the same thing. :rolleyes2: And it's not the fact that it was a re-gift, it's the complete lack of thought into the gift that's bothersome. I would have simply preferred they not get me anything. They probably felt they HAD to get me something...even though I've repeatedly said I don't expect or want anything from them....or the rest of my extended family for that matter. You see, I make baking trays for my family for Christmas, and have always included my 2 step-brothers in my gifting. They don't get a large assortment like other family members, but I've always wanted them to feel included. If I see you over the holidays, you're probably going to get an assortment of goodies from me. So I get it, you now feel like you have to reciprocate....however, if you're going to reciprocate...don't just toss me something as an after thought...
I have been baking since my childhood, even before my step-family entered my life, and have always given my cookies and other goodies...it's something I love to do...and I do it without expectation.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If the gift is from someone that I love and loves me back, then I never regift.
:yeah: My feelings exactly. Even if the gift is not my taste if it comes from someone who is close to me just the thought of knowing it came from them makes me want to keep it.

However, I am the Queen of regifting. There are so many gifts I've received that I can't use so I set them aside and if I know of someone who I think would like them then I regift. If I don't know anyone who would like them then I donate them to a resale/thrift store.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have regifted but it was a similar situation where I knew they’d love it and id never use it. (It didn’t fit.) And I told them.

The only time I’ve been a little bothered by regifting is when it was something personalized for the original recipient. It made it feel like it just checked a box instead of being because they thought I’d like it. I didn’t care that much because a gift is still a gift! I just don’t want gifts to be obligations. It’s about the sentiment.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never regifted but my grandmother was the absolute queen of it. We knew that whatever she was given would eventually find its way back to one of us and honestly we never minded. It was kind of the amusement of our Christmas.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it count that my dad and I vs his sisters mailed the same VHS tape to each other in different packaging multiple times as a prank?

I've regifted a couple of mugs I've received as a teacher I've never used for Secret Santa (but I put things like candy and hot chocolate packets in them).

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As a child care provider, I've gotten a lot of gifts that I just don't like it will ever use. I have sometimes regifted them, particularly if they're nice things that I have no use for. Sometimes I've given them to someone else but not as a gift per say, just a "hey, you want this?"

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think as long as the gift isn't just a piece of junk or used, it's fine to regift, especially if the receiver would actually use the gift. I've gone to a friend's baby shower where a couple who had a baby within the previous year, gave opened bags of diapers, random baby stuff that they probably used once or twice but found no use for it, including some that is dangerous for a baby with it's intended use. It's fine to give me hand-me-downs, but at least provide one thing that is new.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've given things that I've received and didn't want/need to my daughter quite a few times. When we were working at the office we did secret Santa. I've gotten Olive Garden gift cards and I don't like that place. My DD and her BF do though. I gave them the cards. Does that count? I can't think of anything else. I've probably been given re-gifts over the years and not known that it was. It wouldn't bother me though.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't regifted or been regifted that I know of. I think I would feel better about giving something that I had received but not as a gift. I would not give something used as a gift. Diapers are always welcomed and I always include an unopened box with a gift for a baby. If I ended up with an opened box that my baby outgrew before they were used I would give them to someone so they were going to be used but not as a gift.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've given things that I've received and didn't want/need to my daughter quite a few times. When we were working at the office we did secret Santa. I've gotten Olive Garden gift cards and I don't like that place. My DD and her BF do though. I gave them the cards. Does that count? I can't think of anything else. I've probably been given re-gifts over the years and not known that it was. It wouldn't bother me though.
My mom has totally regifted coffee gift cards she's gotten to be, but there's no secret she's passing it along because she doesn't drink coffee.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never re-gifted but I have received two re-gifted gifts that I know of. A co-worker gave me a wallet and I found a note inside written to her from who ever gave her the wallet. Another time I received a box of moldy cheese from a co-worker. Yeah, my co-workers really thought a lot of me. I no longer give or receive gifts.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never re-gifted but I have received two re-gifted gifts that I know of. A co-worker gave me a wallet and I found a note inside written to her from who ever gave her the wallet. Another time I received a box of moldy cheese from a co-worker. Yeah, my co-workers really thought a lot of me. I no longer give or receive gifts.
I'm sorry. You deserved better. :hugs:

My late DH's boss gave him a bag of coffee one year along with some other random stuff. I opened it and there was what looked like spiderwebs in it. There wasn't anything living in it so I'm guessing it was mold of some kind. I looked at the date and it was long expired.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My late DH's boss gave him a bag of coffee one year along with some other random stuff. I opened it and there was what looked like spiderwebs in it. There wasn't anything living in it so I'm guessing it was mold of some kind. I looked at the date and it was long expired.
nother time I received a box of moldy cheese from a co-worker.
I can't believe what some people 'give' as a gift. Pick up a gift card that you know someone will use. The large supermarkets sell an array of gift cards, so it is like a one stop shop for them.