Ready to get started!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Sally... :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

It is frustrating when they won't eat enough - and although it's great they're eating the new food, it's even MORE frustrating when they won't eat the old food and they're not eating enough of the NEW food.

I agree with Carolina - I would try giving them more WL as treats throughout the day. I would also do what we do to encourage them to finish their meals: sprinkle the toppers on AS they're eating, encouraging them to eat more than they otherwise would - to help keep them going. :nod:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, with Svennie, I've been using fortiflora for ages now already, it used to work
.  But!  For this afternoon's meal, he DID eat and at least got his Cosequin, Proviable DC, Prozyme and Reglan down (in that food) and I added quite a bit of Rehydrated chicken in there, which he ate all of.  (he's not eating it dehydrated anymore, so thought I would try re-hydrating it, and it worked
, thank goodness.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FYI, if he's eating rehydrated WL chicken, you can try plain roasting or boiling some chicken for him. Be cheaper than rehydrating WL. :nod: :hugs:

Keeping up the vibes you can get them all eating more! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

If you can.... maybe increase the number of meals a day for a little while, then work on getting them to eat more at any given meal?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FYI, if he's eating rehydrated WL chicken, you can try plain roasting or boiling some chicken for him. Be cheaper than rehydrating WL. :nod: :hugs:
Keeping up the vibes you can get them all eating more! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
If you can.... maybe increase the number of meals a day for a little while, then work on getting them to eat more at any given meal?
YEP - I went to the boiled chicken for Perla. The WL is WAY too expensive to be feeding as her morning raw meal. Laurie suggested it for Perla and it worked :D :clap:

Sally - I also had some weight loss :sigh: with the babies. I had to totally start over with the four picky's. They even stopped eating their wet food a couple of week's ago thinking raw was mixed in. It was very stressful for me and I just totally started over. They are now just finally trusting their meals again and eating well for me - the wet food. I only offer the raw food after they eat their "small" canned breakfast - upstairs in a different spot from regular meals. It is working for me :bigthumb: I know this transition is very, very trying, worrying and frustrating in the beginning. AND I am still in the beginning stages after six weeks with my four pickies. Not including Walden and Wendall - they took to raw from day #1. The other four - taking a lot more work.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: For Svennie :rub: Glad he liked the rehydrated :clap:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sally, how many meals a day are you feeding? Four? Because they're still so to timed meals, because the weight loss has been TOO dramatic, I think you really ought to consider offering them more food throughout the day. When Spooky or Lazlo was off, I'd take them in the bathroom, pop a 3 oz can, and let them eat out of a paper bowl. In my mind, it wasn't a "meal," and I didn't call them to "dinner." But if they ate another 0.5 ounce, or ounce - or more! - GREAT. And since they didn't finish, I'd then grab whatever cat didn't have a good meal, and let them eat too. :nod:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sally, how many meals a day are you feeding? Four? Because they're still so to timed meals, because the weight loss has been TOO dramatic, I think you really ought to consider offering them more food throughout the day. When Spooky or Lazlo was off, I'd take them in the bathroom, pop a 3 oz can, and let them eat out of a paper bowl. In my mind, it wasn't a "meal," and I didn't call them to "dinner." But if they ate another 0.5 ounce, or ounce - or more! - GREAT. And since they didn't finish, I'd then grab whatever cat didn't have a good meal, and let them eat too. :nod:
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
:lol3: I was thinking about this overnight too and do agree with Laurie :D. I wanted to add that your cat's just started eating wet food too - and this might just be too many changes all at once. In the beginning, it is really trial and error at that point. Just seeing what is going to work and what is not going to work. I did what Laurie is suggesting with Perla. I took her into the bathroom for extra small meals - she was confused about this transition and really was not eating enough in the beginning. The bathroom worked great to give whoever needed an extra "snack" of canned food. It really was not a meal, in my mind, it was a healthy snack to get more calories in whoever needed them. I still do that if someone is just not eating enough. :hugs: :hugs: and :vibes: :vibes: for a good eating day :cross:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, Spooky is in the bathroom right now, eating Wellness Turkey & Salmon. :nod: Laz and Shel are lined up outside - and I'll let them in one by one to finish what she doesn't eat. :nod:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, since everyone needs extra, don't guess I need to take anyone into the bathroom to feed them extra
.  I just finished doling out "treats", which in this case was re-hydrated S & C duck to Callie and Sven, and some dehydrated chicken to the other two (they don't like it hydrated)  I tried giving out the new S & C yummy lickin salmon and chickin both hydrated and dehydrated, and it was a no go (so far) except for Sven, who ate a tiny bit of it dehydrated.  I've got to get some 3 oz cans of food to feed them for in between meals...I'll do that tomorrow when I go to Petco to reflenish my supply of the big cans, while returning all my Merrick unused cans.

Also, started Sven back on Hills AD this morning, just to get more nutrients in him.  He never eats much of anything, that included, but at least he didn't reject it.

Last night I was so distraught I thought about just buying Evo dry and putting them all on that forever, but  was reading Whole Health for Happy Cats in bed and it got me back in the right frame of mind (I hope).  Another big
.  I'm just so afraid of harming them during this process

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, we ALL know how you feel! To help you right now, maybe weigh them every 2 or 3 days. :nod: And do they finish the meals when you split the can between them? Because you might want to just add another can or two of 5.5 oz????? And as Callie lost the most weight, I'd focus on her and Sven. :heart3: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, we ALL know how you feel! To help you right now, maybe weigh them every 2 or 3 days.
And do they finish the meals when you split the can between them? Because you might want to just add another can or two of 5.5 oz????? And as Callie lost the most weight, I'd focus on her and Sven.
No, they don't even finish one 5.5 oz can between the 3 of  them!  (Sven is separate)  And since they lost that weight, I've started adding back about a teaspoon of kibble
onto their plates to see if they'll eat that, but they don't.  It's like they aren't hungry at meal times.  Yesterday I had to physically get Callie and carry her over to her bowl.  Once I did, then she ate.  Then this morning, she didn't eat, but ran into the bedroom and sat there, so I took her bowl in there, and then she ate some.  She's channeling Perla

Actually, it was Darko who lost the most...1.1 lbs
.  And, yes, my plan is to weigh them twice a week now for awhile rather than weekly.  Plus I'm giving them the Prozyme NOW, hoping it will help them put on weight.  And about every 1/2 hour I'm trying to hand feed Sven rehydrated duck, since he really seems to like it.  (I think he's getting annoyed with me though
)

On a good note, though.  I order my Nature's Menu today.  Talked to one of the partner's (I think) on the phone for awhile, and he threw in a free package of chicken for me, since we're just starting out.  I ordered lamb and turkey, and FD (freeze fried) tripe and beef.  So....we're really on our way now.  I've got about a week to get these guys in shape!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last night I was so distraught I thought about just buying Evo dry and putting them all on that forever, but  was reading Whole Health for Happy Cats in bed and it got me back in the right frame of mind (I hope).  Another big :sigh: .  I'm just so afraid of harming them during this process :bawling:
AW Sally :alright: I DO know how you feel. I have EVO on hand here :anon: and do offer it out of desperation at times. I just wish my picky four could make this a little easier on me like Walden and Wendall have. I also have that book - Whole Health for Happy Cats :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: It is on my nightstand and I am constantly referring to that book. :D I do go back and forth during this whole process - good days and bad days. Some days just wanting to take the easy way out and forgetting this whole thing. Then I, like you, do more reading, research and realize the fact that a raw diet IS the best diet for our feline friends. It is just so hard convincing some of them of that fact :frusty: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, they don't even finish one 5.5 oz can between the 3 of  them!  (Sven is separate)  And since they lost that weight, I've started adding back about a teaspoon of kibble :anon: onto their plates to see if they'll eat that, but they don't.  It's like they aren't hungry at meal times.  Yesterday I had to physically get Callie and carry her over to her bowl.  Once I did, then she ate.  Then this morning, she didn't eat, but ran into the bedroom and sat there, so I took her bowl in there, and then she ate some.  She's channeling Perla :lol3:

Actually, it was Darko who lost the most...1.1 lbs :shocker: .  And, yes, my plan is to weigh them twice a week now for awhile rather than weekly.  Plus I'm giving them the Prozyme NOW, hoping it will help them put on weight.  And about every 1/2 hour I'm trying to hand feed Sven rehydrated duck, since he really seems to like it.  (I think he's getting annoyed with me though :lol3: )

On a good note, though.  I order my Nature's Menu today.  Talked to one of the partner's (I think) on the phone for awhile, and he threw in a free package of chicken for me, since we're just starting out.  I ordered lamb and turkey, and FD (freeze fried) tripe and beef.  So....we're really on our way now.  I've got about a week to get these guys in shape!
OMG - what is it with the little :princess: - those adorable little girls, they sure have our number's :heart3:... They worry us so... and I find that I cater to Perla's "special mealtime requests" as well. :rolleyes:

Don't you just LOVE the people who run Nature's Menu!!! So very nice, they seem so generous too. I see you got some FD - or as you put it FREEZE-FRIED :flail: :lol3: Actually Freeze-fried sound pretty appetizing. :D Hope the kitties love the FD :clap:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, yesterday was weigh in again, and we have some good news.  Everyone but Sven gained back some of the lost weight, and Sven held his own and at least didn't lose any more, which is kind of surprising since he really hasn't eaten much because of his downhill cycle (CRF).  But today he's feeling good again and eating like a little pig
(making up for lost time I think)

But, yesterday I picked up some cans of BG and Wellness, and they were a complete bust.  First we tried some BG, and no one would touch it.  So into the trash it went, and next came Wellness.  Still no one would get near it, so out came the toppers.  On one bowl I put Fortiflora, on one I put dehydrated liver sprinkles, and on another I put halo sprinkles.  Still no takers on ANY of the bowls
.  So...I'm guessing why even bother with any of the other cans/flavors?  I think it's really the texture rather than the flavors?  Had no idea they were pate, but these furbabies aren't used to pate, and with the 2nd rejection I watered it down a bit since they don't seem to grasp biting into the pile of food rather than licking it to death, but still nothing.   I'm hoping this doesn't mean it's going to be tougher when I start trying the ground raw on them

Oh, will be trying out a little bit of filet mignon on them for lunch.  My best friend, Chef Nancy, brought dinner over last night, and she happened to bring Filet Mignon.  I said it was too bad it was such a nice cut of beef or I would cut a little off for the babies, and next thing I knew, she had cut about 8 tiny pieces off for them.  It wasn't a good time to give it to them right then, so saved it for Sunday lunch.  Hope they like it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap::clap:Great that they are gaining their weight back! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Wow! Filet Mignon.... These kitties are starting their raw adventure in style :lol3::clap::clap::clap:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Sally - I know your frustration.... I even had to use Fortiflora on canned food :rolleyes2: when the four pickies started refusing meals a couple of weeks back. That is when I had to really start over and find another way for these fussies. BUT it was so frustrating because they were so backed off of food all together. It really is trial and error STILL :lol3:. At least you are figuring out that it might be the texture of the meats/canned as opposed to the flavor. With my cat's it ALL has to do with the initial smell. Once they get past that and start eating, I am usually home free :cross:

WOW Filet Mignon :woohoo: Can't wait to hear how that went today at lunch :hyper: :D :hugs:

p.s. I really think you WILL end up getting a freezer.... they really come in handy not just for the kitties but for the humans alike :winkblue: :happy3: :clap::clap::clap: EVEN though it really IS the kitties freezer!!!!!!! :lol2:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, as usual, Sven loved the filet mignon, the others simply don't know what they're missing.  I think Stinkpot may have actually licked one piece, but otherwise, that was it.  Perhaps it wasn't smelly enough, although I let it sit out for a few minutes to "warm" up.  And once again, lunch was hit or miss amongst the others.  Stinkpot didn't eat anything, and Callie and Darko had to have forti-flora as a helper, and this was with their Soulistic, which they usually like.  Maybe I turned them off with the filet.  Now I've got to find Stinkpot and stuff him with some WL chicken. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, texture can be an important part of what they'll eat and not eat. :nod: Initially mine would only eat pouch wet food - and they'd only lick the gravy. :rolleyes: That's when I started turning pate into gravy, using warm water and a small blender. :lol3:

Sven knows his stuff! :lol3:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Certainly Sven's standards have been raised with the Filet Mignon :lol3: The other's just don't get it - yet. OH Sally - we all know how you feel and I am still going through the trials and tribulations BUT I have to say since I will not give up - slowly but surely the four P's are getting some raw each and every day. I am just determined to keep trying and if it takes month's and month's - then so be it. AND if they never get to 100% like Walden and Wendall - at least they are on the right path :nod: Seriously, though, feeding cat's their species related natural diet is SO much more work. I remember the days of tossing dry in bowls and filling water bowls and be done with it. So quick, so easy, so fast and no mess. BUT SO UNHEALTHY for my babies :sniffle: I also have noticed a deeper bond has developed with my cat's now too. We are SO much closer, even though I thought that was not possible. Perkins used to never let me walk right up to him and pet him. Now he is my best friend - very, very loving and actually coming to me for affection now. I always had to do head bumps with him only. No hands, no petting. Now I can pet him, pick him up and cuddle him. He loves it. All the cat's personalities have really blossomed because I am spending more time preparing their meals, serving their meals, and fussing over them. I think they like to see me fuss over them :rolleyes: :lol3: :heart3: Sorry for the rambling..... but I do know how frustrating this can be. Even though four of my six are not eating raw regularly at every meal - I have been rewarded in other ways by them. Ironic - huh !!!!!??? :lol3: Raw feeding has brought me closer, heart and soul, to my cat's even though they are not eating it wholeheartedly YET :cross:. :mmm: :D

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Plugging along
,  Tomorrow is weigh in day again, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everyone is at least maintaining, and that perhaps Sven is gaining, but not really counting on it.  Still waiting for my order to arrive from NM so we actually start the REAL raw, as a few tiny pieces here and there probably don't count,  Still feeding them a few S & C treats (not rehydrated - they don't seem to like them texture wise if they are wet).  Giving them probiotics and Prozyme in preparation.   So....now it's the waiting game.  Friday is the UPS due date

I'll post weights tomorrow.