Ready to get started!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had to google "Natural Pet food stores" in my area to find different brands of raw frozen and raw freeze-dried. I found two
SO maybe google on your computer to find a store that might carry more brands

Oh, Lauren, thank you SO MUCH for that suggestion.  I did just that, and found a store between my house and my folks' house (just 6 miles from me!) that has all kinds of raw, has S & C, and sounds wonderful!  I can't get there until Monday (they're closed tomorrow), but can't wait!  They sound fantastic...more like counselors as well as a store !  I'm so excited.  I can feel my wallet getting lighter already

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, Lauren, thank you SO MUCH for that suggestion.  I did just that, and found a store between my house and my folks' house (just 6 miles from me!) that has all kinds of raw, has S & C, and sounds wonderful!  I can't get there until Monday (they're closed tomorrow), but can't wait!  They sound fantastic...more like counselors as well as a store !  I'm so excited.  I can feel my wallet getting lighter already :wink:
ooooohhhhh with some luck they will carry Rad Cat :cross: :clap::clap::clap:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, Lauren, thank you SO MUCH for that suggestion.  I did just that, and found a store between my house and my folks' house (just 6 miles from me!) that has all kinds of raw, has S & C, and sounds wonderful!  I can't get there until Monday (they're closed tomorrow), but can't wait!  They sound fantastic...more like counselors as well as a store !  I'm so excited.  I can feel my wallet getting lighter already :wink:
:lol3: YEAH - I hear ya in the "green" department..... mine is going out of business :flail:

SO GLAD you found that store :woohoo: I can't wait to hear what brands they DO carry. Please do tell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be VERY jealous if they sell Rad Cat. I do not have any distributor's out here in the Chicago area - ZERO. And it is WAY too expensive to have it shipped to me. One of the natural pet food stores near me is trying to look into finding a distributor to carry Rad Cat. I am trying to convince them that once they got the product in - I think it would sell like crazy. From what I heard - cat's just love it and the ingredients are excellent. Have fun shopping and going broke :lol2: :wavey:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
New question for everyone:

I only switched to scheduled feedings last Thursday, and that's the same day they began eating all wet food.  Now, truthfully, Sven is the only one who is getting probiatics so far, because I wanted to make sure the others would eat the wet food before I threw something else foreign at them.  I'm keeping a list of which foods they really love, and on the next serving of those cans, I'll add the probiotics to their food as well.  My Prozyme hasn't arrived yet, but don't know if it's necessary YET, since I'll be starting by adding just a little raw to their canned, for awhile at least.

SO, THE QUESTION IS:  when should I start adding the raw to their wet, since wet is brand new to them as it is.  I plan to use either NM or Rad Cat, depending on what I find at the new store I located nearby.  This question may be a moot point of they don't carry either, 'cause then I'll have to order on-line, and won't even have a supply of NM until late in the week!

Oh yes, on a completely different subject, since this new store seems to have "counselors" in-house, I'll ask them about feeding boneless Frankenprey and how to add bonemeal, etc., since you can't guarantee they'll lick up loose powder, just in case some finicky kitties decide they don't want ANYTHING but Frankenprey!  (I think a couple of you were trying to figure that one out, right?)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, when to start mixing in raw is entirely up to you! If they are eating enough wet food at each meal, and enjoying it.... I'd wait until you get the probiotics and have them on it for a couple of days, but that's just me.

And yes, Carolina and I are in the process of figuring out how to feed boneless frankenprey right now. The main concern... will they eat chunks of meat with whatever calcium supplement sprinkled on? :dk: I know that eggshell is a very good calcium carbonate source, and it doesn't take much. I'm thinking if I sprinkle it on the plate, and push the chunk of meat into it, it will stick (raw meat is pretty sticky). IF they'll eat it with that "stuff" on it, great.

But we're also discussing alternative sources of calcium. The MCHA mschauer mentioned in Carolina's boneless frankenprey thread sounds like a better calcium source - but we have to figure out how much would be needed to see if that even makes sense to use.

So.... they're doing well on the canned, and are eating well on timed meals? :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So.... they're doing well on the canned, and are eating well on timed meals?
Yes!  The are on a schedule (3 times a day) and almost licking their bowls clean.  The "almost" makes me feel better, because I know they are getting their fill.  And the best part is, my little Piggy (Darko) is eating with the others.  He gets enough that he leaves them alone when he finishes first
.  This morning when he finished, he jumped up on the window sill and cleaned himself while the others finished
.  I am so thrilled.  Even if they never like raw, at least knowing they are off kibble makes me feel better, but they WILL like raw, they WILL like raw, they WILL like raw

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sally- this is excellent news about the cats liking the wet food :woohoo: Absolutely, this is a step in the right direction for their health regardless if they take to the raw at 100% or not. Wet food is better than dry IMO any day. Great work :D :lovegrin:

I would wait until you get them on the Prozyme for a few days before introducing the raw. I think since the wet food is still so new to them - just wait a few more days until you have them on the Prozyme. BUT having said that ..... I think since they are taking to the wet food so quickly, they might take to the raw quickly as well and I wouldn't wait too long before introducing it since they are already trying the wet food - they won't know the difference from the wet food and the raw food. You know what I am saying :lol3: Since wet food IS new to them and they like it - don't let them get addicted to the wet - get the raw going right away IMO. They might just think it is part of the canned foods - BE SNEAKY :lol2:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sally, what great and fast progress!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

I had no problems with Prozyme at all.... no one turned their heads/noses to it, rejected, or had any issues with it. On the contrary - it has been amazing from day 1. I see no problem in giving it to them as soon as it arrives - you use a tiny amount.... and they will not even recognize the taste....

You can start adding raw whenever....... just start small...... put a peasize without mixing it in the food - and see what happens. See if they eat it, if they eat it first, if they walk away, if they eat and reject the wet.... You can also offer it to them on it's own, to gauge their liking. No matter what you do, start tiny, then build up from there - it will help them to like it, and their bodies getting used to digest it. :wavey:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Update:  Yesterday I bought some S & C carnivore crunchies in duck, and they are just so-so.  Everyone actually ate ONE when I opened the package, and that was it. 
  Maybe they are so filling that one was all they needed
(I don't think so, since we're talking about a little 3/4 inch round sort of thing...and why are they callled crunchies...they are NOT crunchy at all!) 

OK, OK, back to the cats.  Their middle meal was not good.  I bought some Merrick cans because I didn't want all Soulistic, and it was a total bust.  Stinkpot was the only one who ate any
, which is weird, because he's my pickiest eater.  BUT, when I made our dinner, I lopped off a little bit of raw turkey and set it out for them, and everyone ate some except Stimkpot.  He did at least sniff at it, and even licked it several times, but never actually downed the hatch
.  Callie was so funny.  She tried and tried to eat hers, took it out of her bowl and put it on the floor, then licked and licked at it and it just moved it all around.  I think her problem is the piece was a little too big, so I cut it in half, but couldn't quite convince her to swallow it.  Finally I crushed up a Temptation and she ate ONE piece.  That's how I got Darko to eat ONE piece too, although he was also sniffing and licking, but wouldn't eat until I put Temptation dust on it.

So...Sven got about 9 pieces of raw turkey, and he just dug right in....didn't need any dusting of any kind.  That's my good boy

Late night dinner I served up Soulistic since I knew they liked it, and that was good.

First thing this a.m. I gave everyone a S & C duck crunchy while they were nice and hungry, and they all ate theirs except Stinkpot.  Then I tried the Merrick again (different flavor), and it was a bust again!  So I opened up Soulistic and that went well.  Guess I'll be returning all the Merrick cans.  Bummer. 

Oh, my Prozyme arrived, so I am giving that to Sven now.  Hopefully he'll start putting on some weight. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Sally :). I have never had any luck with Merrick - none at all or Evanger's for that matter :lol3: My cat's seem to like Wellness grain free and Wellness CORE. Also Evo, Before Grain, and Weruva. I also have some Fancy Feast on hand when desperate measures are required :lol3:. I also have used the crushed Temptation treats as a topper. Works for Pipsqueak. I have not ever seen the S&C carnivore crunchies before. I have used the S&C (cat) freeze-dried cat cubes for treats. Will have to see if I can order some of the S&C Crunchies.

:cross: For Sven and some weight gain :D The probiotic/enzyme supplements seem to help the cat's gain weight - even the fat ones :lol3: Sounds like quite an adventure at your place today - a good one. I find that I learn something new each day about my kitties likes and dislikes during this whole process. I have to say - it has been a lot of fun even with the many set backs. I just feel SO much more bonded to each of my kitties. :heart3: :rub: :heart2: :rub: :heart4:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, Merrick was a bust here too. Mine like Wellness grain free stuff, EVO Turkey & Chicken, Instinct - various flavors (i've never given them beef), BG Tuna, turkey, chicken, and BFF. Since Spooky's been on a hunger strike, she's getting BFF and Wellness now (since that's what she'll eat. :rolleyes: ).

FYI, I use Prozyme AND probiotics. Prozyme arrived today, and will be used at all meals; they get probiotics sprinkled on to their morning meal and late night meal. :nod:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, yes, am using probiotics for all cats now, and only Prozyme on Sven so far.  waiting to really start in on Raw before feeding it to the rest of the gang.  Guess when I return the Merrick, I'll try some of the other brands you mentioned, although I cannot find Weruva (but Soulistic is mfr by the same company so maybe why bother) and by babies didn't like Wellness dry, so I figured why bother on that one.  Maybe I can give their canned a try though.  I've tried the BG before too, and it was a bust.  Things change, though, so might try it again.  Don't think I've heard of BFF, but I'll look see...could be an east coast food?  I think I tried Instinct too, but can't remember. 

Per Amazon, my WL chicken AND beef liver freeze dried stuff should arrive tomorrow.  Can't wait.  They are now ALL eating the Halo freeze dried chicken, so I'm anxious to see how they like the liver, plus am anxious to start using it as a topper.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BFF is a line of Tuna based foods. It's owned by Weruva. :nod:
YEP!!!! Kittie crack in cans :flail:..... Best Friend's Feline..... it is addictive though... :( - I can't use it too much anymore because Perla was holding out for the BFF. But it works really, really well when first introducing the raw meats :clap::clap::clap:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, I'm pretty scared now.  Yesterday was weigh-in day again, and they all lost too much weight.  Way too much!  But they walk away from their food and start grooming themselves as if they are satisfied (most of the time). 

And Sven is currently in one of his downhill CRF cycles...meaning he just doesn't feel like eating, which is a battle we have frequently.  Last night all he would eat was Temptations...not dehydrated chicken, or liver, not S & C, definitely not wet.  Plus when he's in these cycles he has no interest in anything, not even an open window!  I'm really worried about him, but I don't think it has anything to do with converting to wet food, since I'm also offering him his kibbles often throughout the day.  (oh well, sorry to be on a downer here...I'm just really depressed about him right now...BUT, we've gone thru this before and thought we would lose him, and he's sprung back
...no reason to think this time won't be different
)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I'm pretty scared now.  Yesterday was weigh-in day again, and they all lost too much weight.  Way too much!  But they walk away from their food and start grooming themselves as if they are satisfied (most of the time). 

And Sven is currently in one of his downhill CRF cycles...meaning he just doesn't feel like eating, which is a battle we have frequently.  Last night all he would eat was Temptations...not dehydrated chicken, or liver, not S & C, definitely not wet.  Plus when he's in these cycles he has no interest in anything, not even an open window!  I'm really worried about him, but I don't think it has anything to do with converting to wet food, since I'm also offering him his kibbles often throughout the day.  (oh well, sorry to be on a downer here...I'm just really depressed about him right now...BUT, we've gone thru this before and thought we would lose him, and he's sprung back :) ...no reason to think this time won't be different :cross: )
Sally, are you tracking down how much they are eating?
How much weight did they lose? In how long? How much in %?

About Sven - has the vet ever put him in stimulants? any thing AT all he will eat? :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

And Sven is currently in one of his downhill CRF cycles...meaning he just doesn't feel like eating, which is a battle we have frequently.  Last night all he would eat was Temptations...not dehydrated chicken, or liver, not S & C, definitely not wet.  Plus when he's in these cycles he has no interest in anything, not even an open window!  I'm really worried about him, but I don't think it has anything to do with converting to wet food, since I'm also offering him his kibbles often throughout the day.  (oh well, sorry to be on a downer here...I'm just really depressed about him right now...BUT, we've gone thru this before and thought we would lose him, and he's sprung back
...no reason to think this time won't be different
)
Sally, are you tracking down how much they are eating?
How much weight did they lose? In how long? How much in %?

About Sven - has the vet ever put him in stimulants? any thing AT all he will eat?
Not counting Sven, they are being served a 5.5 oz can of grain free canned feed EACH, per day.  And they don't even finish that.  I serve it up in 3 meals per day (basically divide a can into thirds, 3 times a day).  Plus I was offering them their dry along with it for awhile, and no one was eating any of it.  I also continue to give them some treats (Temptations) twice a day when I give Sven his pills (since his pills are inside treats), and I feed them dehydrated chicken first thing when I get up and last thing before bed. 

Weight losses in just ONE week

Callie       .4 lb 

Darko      1.1 lb
Now, he is my porker, and was on a diet, but this is WAY TO MUCH TO QUICKLY!  Was 14.6 lb last week

Stinkpot   .7 lb

Sven        .4 lb

Since their weigh-in I have started feeding them more WL chicken and have some WL liver also, but think I should use it sparingly, right?  Also, they aren't huge fans of the S & C duck, but am offering it at each meal too.  After all, the objective is to get them on scheduled meals (without harming them though).  Thankfully, no one is yellow, and they are still eating, except Sven, but he's a whole other story.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not counting Sven, they are being served a 5.5 oz can of grain free canned feed EACH, per day.  And they don't even finish that.  I serve it up in 3 meals per day (basically divide a can into thirds, 3 times a day).  Plus I was offering them their dry along with it for awhile, and no one was eating any of it.  I also continue to give them some treats (Temptations) twice a day when I give Sven his pills (since his pills are inside treats), and I feed them dehydrated chicken first thing when I get up and last thing before bed. 

Weight losses in just ONE week

Callie       .4 lb  :(   
Darko      1.1 lb :shocker: :bawling: Now, he is my porker, and was on a diet, but this is WAY TO MUCH TO QUICKLY!  Was 14.6 lb last week

Stinkpot   .7 lb :(

Sven        .4 lb :bawling:  

Since their weigh-in I have started feeding them more WL chicken and have some WL liver also, but think I should use it sparingly, right?  Also, they aren't huge fans of the S & C duck, but am offering it at each meal too.  After all, the objective is to get them on scheduled meals (without harming them though).  Thankfully, no one is yellow, and they are still eating, except Sven, but he's a whole other story.
Will they eat any more of the wet? Or that is the maximum they will eat?
Yes, you can give them more of the chicken - that is actually excellent for them to gain weight.... You can also crumble the chicken into a powder and sprinkle into the wet to entice them to eat more :nod: You can probably increase their wet intakes per meal like that :nod:
I would not give too much of the liver - that can cause diarrhea.... Liver yes, sparingly