Raising kittens to adulthood with mom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I'm back with an update, and some interesting news... kind of... Fist off Tristan is doing great! He's running and playing like crazy! I love watching him and his mom play, Tristan will start to stalk her, and she runs like he's a huge cat chasing her. Its adorable! 

I call this "Bros before Hoes"

Checking out his new bed/toy! 

Ok. The "interesting" part. Apparently I am the apartment complex "Old Cat Lady", despite being 24. Someone ran up to me a few nights ago saying they found two soaking wet kittens. We found one, the other ran off, and she was indeed soaking wet and shivering. Funny thing was, she smelled like flea shampoo. The woman was freaking out, and worried she had fleas. Indeed she was COVERED in fleas :( The cat actually dried off pretty quickly in the 10 minutes I was holding her outside. Weird. She eventually took the cat in, and bathed her with dawn. The male cat was found the next day by the super and brought to her apartment. I stopped by the next day or so to check in. I estimate the kittens are 4 to 6 months old, as apparently the male is spraying. She says she wants to keep them, at least the female and if I can find a home for the male. Keep in mind I said I would take them in instead of her bringing them to a shelter or just letting them outside. I stopped by tonight after finding a possible home for the male, a few days later. Well the cats "got out" when she opened the door today or yesterday. They started crying from the trees a few hundred feet away not a minute after I stopped by. They came to me within 5 minutes. She says the cats had bitten/clawed at her and her child/children and she because they kept escaping/spraying she couldn't keep them. Apparently she stopped by my apartment yesterday but I wasn't home. So I now have two more flea infested kittens until next month!! Thats 6 in my one bedroom apartment!! Luckily these two are going to a good home together in september! 

Its weird, I think she let them out yesterday when she couldn't find me. Something is fishy. She already had cat stuff, and the fact the female was soaking wet but smelled like flea shampoo has me very suspicious. She called the shelter twice about them, luckily the shelter is closed until tuesday. They are the sweetest kitties, brother and sister. And they look just like the stray I took in, Tristans mom. They could be her previous kittens they look so similar. Would brother and sister stay together? I am very worried the female may be pregnant, but its too early to tell. 

They got a flea bath tonight, and like an hour of combing afterwards, but I am afraid of fleas getting to my other cats. I changed my clothes and took out almost all the fabric things in the bathroom so they don't start multiplying. They have an old mattress cover to sleep on. I'm still finding fleas on them, hopefully the fleas are slowly dying. Right now they are in my bathroom and will stay in there since they are not vaccinated or tested for anything. They will be spayed/neutered next week. 

I am worried they may be anemic there were so many fleas! They mostly just curl up and sleep. I actually found canned kmr, I got one can, and I found powdered at walmart but its red and called something else. Still  PetAG made thou. IDK if they are to old to drink milk out of a bowl. They have wet food and moistened dry kitten food, both ate pretty well. The male is a bit more reserved / sleepy and did not eat the wet, but perked up when I brought in the dry food. Their gums seem ok, but is there anything else I can do for them? Especially to get the male to eat more? I am working until like 8 pm tomorrow, so they will be alone all day, but its so much better then being outside. Its starting to turn into winter here! 

I am sorry this is so long, I didn't want to start a new thread and it kind of seems kitten related. 

Male on the left. Female on the right. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How sweet to hear Tristan is doing so great!

Very kind of you to take in these 2 orphans. They most certainly can be moms since they look alike.

Yes, sibs will usually stay together. At least until their sexual maturity changes things including mating with each other.

She needs spaying though, prego or not next week.

Flea treatment for them is best now, clean up what might be left on them and in the house.

Cute little tabbies :)

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yes. Spay next week no matter what! I can't have any more cats :) I just wonder where they came from? They are all so friendly, Tristan's mom even started playing fetch and bringing the toy back to me! They had to have a home before. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Someone put them out - what a shame.

You'll need to put Advantage on their necks to really get rid of those fleas.

They should love lapping the kitten milk from a bowl. It will be good for them.

Thank you for rescuing them and rehoming them together. You're an angel.

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI guys. Just wanted to say the newest kitties are now flea free and the female is getting spayed tomorrow!! Theres a month waiting list for the clinic but I got really lucky, hopefully the male will get done soon. They have been named minnie and mickey by their new owners! 

Right now the kittens are in my bathroom, since there is no other place for them. I am really worried about stressing out one of my male cats if I have to move either kitten out of the bathroom. He get's stressed pretty easily, and still isn't over Tristan walking around... But I don't want to hurt minnie by leaving her with her rambunctious brother right after surgery. I have a medium sized dog crate they have gone in when I clean the bathroom (they are SO messy!!) but theres not that much room and there is hissing from everyone when they are in it in the living room. 

I also have to go to work after I pick her up, luckily they are letting me pick her up early! So I won't be around to monitor them the rest of the day. I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for any advice. 

Mister Mickey in the back, laying on his sister. 

I love Tristan's ears!!! he's like a little wild animal. 

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not a chance :) I work in a bakery in a chain grocery store... 

I sort of remember from my dogs spay 16 years ago she was pretty out of it. Is it possible to put minnie in the crate for a few days. I don't know how long it takes cats to heal or how she will be feeling. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would leave her in the crate but in the bathroom with her brother tomorrow while you are at work. She will mostly just sleep, but you'll need to give her food and water.

You should be able to let her out of the crate when you get home from work. Kittens heal very quickly, and she will be miserable crated.

I had my 3 males and 1 female fixed at 12 weeks and they were back to playing and sleeping together immediately. They really weren't very doped up either.

Otherwise, I suggest you close her up in your bedroom while you are at work. But she'll be crying to be with her brother very quickly.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is one of the benefits of getting them done this young, they are small and don't come back all druggy acting at all.

Maybe a slight bit slowed down, but not for long!

Too bad he isn't getting done tmrw too, that always works out perfectly.

I think he will be mauling her and annoying her for the most part, but won't actually do any damage.