Raising kittens to adulthood with mom

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Omggg he's like a toy!!

okay, it looks just right now, you have the pressure where it's needed.

Not too much now!

The string on his spine is an issue too, maybe loosen the vest and pad it with something? Even a folded piece of soft t-shirt fabric, anything so it's not pinching his spine.

Be sure it doesn't cause him not to be able to nurse easily. The last thing we want is for that to become an issue.

This will also help during nursing, because the position is on his chest, helping it grow flat like it already is, so this vest is retraining how you want it to grow.

It doesn't take long, it needs to be adjusted size-wise daily, and always make sure it is not too tight.

Great job!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Prince Tristan really is the sweetest thing! He's trying so hard to walk!

I think I figured out the major kinks, and he has stopped crying so loudly. I found some cardboard if it needs strengthening.

He has no problem nursing, but I will keep a close eye on it. 

I want to make sure, is it ok for him to wear overnight? I put towels down, but they usually end up pushed aside in favor of the hardwood floor. The support would be good, but I don't want him accidentally tangled up or an arm caught funny. 

His eyes are so dark! 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He actually should wear it during the night, but hoping you will be comfortable with the fit, strings,and that he is able to nurse well.

I would keep it on as much as possible these first few days but he is growing like a weed so be sure it's adjusted daily to allow enough room.

Did you do something to get the strings off his spine?

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has worn it without issue for the past few hours. I will keep checking before I go to bed.

I placed a cotton round pad on his back (like the one on his chest) to help protect him, but the corset seemed to shift and fits better now. It is not pinching or very tight. I can stick my finger under the strings. He will get a new one tomorrow with higher sides, and that should help even more. 

Thanks again for all your help! 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I worry about the strings on his spine, that nerve that runs along their spine and tail controls alot of things, I would hate the thought that the strings might cause damage to the nerve.

Be sure the cotton can't come out or loose okay?

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi @catwoman707  

Tristan is doing ok. I had to leave for two nights and just got home. (I postponed the trip when he was born) Since I barely trust my cat sitter to feed them right, he had to go without the jacket. It now has popsicle stick supports, and he is comfortably wearing it far off his back. I haven't see much improvement in his ribs, but I have high hopes for the next few days. He has started pushing up off the ground, and is gaining lots of weight. Are there any signs I should be looking for if he doesn't improve? 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh he is just so darn cute it makes me crazy!! EEee!! haha

Keep it on him straight through now, each day his bones are a bit less easily changed, so now is when it is critical to reshape them so they will grow correctly.

It won't take long, under a week.

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@catwoman707  I am so surprised how much better he looks today! I can even feel the difference! He actually took a few normal steps this morning! I added some vet wrap for support, and the fit is much better. It does sound like he is wheezing a little bit. I am hoping it goes away in the next day or two, otherwise it may be vet time. Thank you so much for your advice, I don't know what I would have done without it. :) 

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a very helpful thread. Our cat just had kittens and I think a few of them may look like this, but I don't know what is normal and what isn't.  Now I'm lurking to follow progress... and get pictures.  That kitten is adorably cute!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If your kitten is wheezing do not wait to see a vet. He may have an upper respiratory infection and need an antibiotic to clear it.

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 @sarthur2 I think you are right, I will call tomorrow and try to get an appointment. I was raised that you don't see a doctor or vet unless something is really wrong (like a broken bone), and I'm trying to get out of that mindset. Victoria did have a slight URI when I found her. The vet gave l-lysine but it is possible it never fully went away. 

I will bring pictures of the kitten from before and his jacket. Is there anything else I should have available for the vet? 

@Yellowhouse  Thank you! He really is a perfect angel :) You are lucky you have other kittens to compare with. I will say, as soon as I picked him up I thought something was wrong. But I was trying to minimize contact to let them bond. I'm sending positive thoughts your way!!!!! 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
L-lysine is like vitamin C.  It doesn't cure anything.  People use it to help control/ease herpes symptoms in cats.

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

L-lysine is like vitamin C.  It doesn't cure anything.  People use it to help control/ease herpes symptoms in cats.
I should have added that I went to the vet because she would occasionally cough. She also had an inflamed third eyelid, and got drops for that. There were no other symptoms, but they recommended keeping her separate from my other cats until she was better. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She clearly has herpesvirus, it starts in kittens who's immune systems are undeveloped.

Yes, it will be passed along to her kids too unfortunately, but this doesn't mean it will be bad, it means to expect it to some degree and keep a close eye on the babes who will likely need an antibiotic at some point to get well.

They respond beautifully and fast being their systems are virgin.

It's not dangerous in kittens unless they slow/stop eating/drinking, or are not put on antibiotics if there are more than mild lightweight cold symptoms.

I hate putting young kittens on meds already, but it is what it is, much better and safer than risking pneumonia, which it can turn into with babes, not adults. (at least highly unusual, usually in immune compromised cats only)

Kittens can get pneumonia quite easily.

YES!! I see the difference already! What did I tell ya! SUPER fast, still needs to wear it, another couple days okay? Just to be sure it doesn't try to grow wrong again.

That just goes to show how super fast they grow!

The vet will be able to listen to the wheezing and confirm it's coming from his throat and not lungs.

Impossible to tell without a stethoscope, it sounds the same if we try to listen.

I should have added that I went to the vet because she would occasionally cough. She also had an inflamed third eyelid, and got drops for that. There were no other symptoms, but they recommended keeping her separate from my other cats until she was better. 
If your other cats are vaccinated in the last few years they're fine.

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted an older cat earlier this year who had a really bad upper respiratory infection at the shelter, so I was especially worried about him. But they are up to date on their vaccines. 

Just so I'm sure, you are recommending going to the vet tomorrow, right? And I was planning on bringing Victoria so she doesn't freak out. She needs her vaccine boosters, I was going to do them at his 8 week or so appointment. Is there any reason not to do them now? 

I am so pleased with his progress! It is amazing to see the difference!! 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you need a vet appointment. If the kitten is wheezing it probably needs an antibiotic. Hopefully the other kittens will not catch it.

Let us know what the vet says.

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, you need a vet appointment. If the kitten is wheezing it probably needs an antibiotic. Hopefully the other kittens will not catch it.

Let us know what the vet says.
Ok. I will. And they usually have same day appointments. He is the only kitten, so it shouldn't spread. Thanks! 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is Victoria the nursing mom?

i would wait on her vaccines for now and just take the kitten.