Raising kittens to adulthood with mom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she is. She lost the first two kittens, and is very protective of this little guy. I don't know how she will act if I take him away, or if she won't recognize him after he has been to the vet. I have a large enough crate to keep them together in. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's fine to take mom along with baby, however do NOT vaccinate her while she is nursing.

This causes interference with baby's antibodies from mom, meaning it will neutralize any vaccines they are given, which are really needed to protect them from the biggies. (viruses)

Last edited:

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got back from the vet and good news! Tristan is fine! They said his breathing was good, he is strong, and his eyes look clear. The vet seemed knowledgable on kittens, and said that his ribs looked ok. He will still wear the jacket for a little while though, don't worry :) 

I did also find out that mama cat has an early ear mite infection. She got Revolution, and since Tristans' ears are open, they suggested a drop of mineral oil in his ears every other day. Now I get to bring in my other two cats to get checked and put on Revolution as a preventative. 

They did say that the vaccines mama was given were late enough in the pregnancy to not have an effect on Tristan, and that he didn't show any signs of being affected!! Yay!! 

I bought Kitten Attract, is that safe enough to use? I think it is clay, but I can't find out for sure and haven't opened it yet. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great news! The vest worked :)

The vet can also just give you revolution for treating your other 2 in case, it shouldn't be necessary to bring them in and pay another visit cost actually, but that's up to you two.

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Great news! The vest worked :)

The vet can also just give you revolution for treating your other 2 in case, it shouldn't be necessary to bring them in and pay another visit cost actually, but that's up to you two.
They said it was a prescription and that they had to see the cats. One cat they haven't seen yet, I've switched vets a few times. I would prefer not to pay, but that's the only way they will do it. 

I'm sooooo relieved Tristan is ok! He wouldn't be so healthy if it wasn't for all of you!!! 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually just get a six pack of revolution for Eclipse.  Sadly I can't use it on Fluffy because it makes her itch for weeks.

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. Maybe its an initial visit sort of thing? 

Have you guys used Kitten Attract before? I want to make sure its not dangerous for such a young kitten. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did the same, Simone has been seen but Krissy hasn't, but I just got a 6 pack and share it between the 2.

No, I have not used kitten attract. Why do you think you need to?

Young kittens use the box easily unless their space is too big, their short term memory is not all that, so if the box isn't right under their nose they will randomly go elsewhere.

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have a way to contain him other than in my bedroom, so I would rather not take a chance. Plus one box should last a long time. I just worry about him eating it, especially since it says 8 weeks and up. Guess I'm still looking for litter... any you recommend? 

I wish I could just get the meds. I was "lucky" they only charged me for one visit today instead of two. And now I'm taking two cats in on Thursday. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've not used cat attract. My kittens used Tidy Cats with no problems, so I am no expert on litter.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Non clumping clay litter or wood pellets is what's needed for young kids, as they do tend to 'taste' it in the beginning, and the clumping type can cause some issues as you can imagine.

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI guys. I wanted to keep you updated. Baby Tristan is doing great! He has started walking, running, and actually jumped today! He's got little teeth coming in, and most importantly his little ribs look totally normal!

I took my other cats to the vet and they were ear mite free. Also everyone is worm free! Yay!

I do have one concern, but I hope i'm overreacting. Now that he has his teeth he is starting to "bite" things, especially his mother's legs while she is cleaning him. She responds by biting back. It seems gentle enough to start, but she either gets annoyed or thinks he's a toy because I've had to stop her twice from using her back legs to kick at him (with his throat in her mouth). I don't want to get in the way of playing or teaching or any bonding, so I try to stay out of it but I am worried she may accidentally hurt him. She holds him down with a paw and bites and just holds on to his throat. 

Pictures!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's adorable! :)

What you describe is how mom cats disciplne their young. Try not to intervene unless he's screaming and she is being too rough.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with @sarthur2  in that she is teaching him.

I am especially excited to see his nicely shaped chest!! 

He's a pure doll btw, oh my gosh, bengal markings or what?!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just had a look at those darling pics again, what is it with this little boy in these pics that makes me wanna squeeze him?! He's so stinkin adorable I can't stand it!

Hope he is doing well.

Last edited:

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@catwoman707  There is just something about Tristan that is completely adorable! He already is a lady killer! I am happy to report he is doing very well. He is eating wet food, and lives up to his princely title by preferring to eat out of my hand :) He even started using the litter box all on his own, which was a huge surprise. Unfortunately he takes after his mom and likes to remove as much litter from the box as possible before using it...

He met my neighbors' dog yesterday, and was just romping around! His little jumps are the cutest thing I have ever seen!! He tries so hard, but barely hops :) 

His chest looks amazing! Totally normal, yay!!!

Mid sneeze! 

Him and his mom really have the puppy dog eyes down! 

He is so brave! (Sterling is a bit standoff ish)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooooow, he is just the cutest boy ever!

SO happy the vest worked so fast and he is now growing as a normal little boy should.

Many happy years to come, thanks for the pics, just more for me to squeee at!  

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He really is a cutie.  And the mid-sneeze picture is wonderful!