QUIZ: What American accent do you have?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

It was correct.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is flippin wierd! Going through it I was wondering how it was going oto come up with something and by golly... It hit it right on the head!! I'm from Michigan and it got it right with:

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your Result: Boston

You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine.

that is amazing! How did it know. I am like 15-20 mins away from Boston. But I do NOT have a Boston accent! I say Car not Caa hurumph
my Rs are spoken clearly. Seriously that is cool!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At a party last week, co-workers made a point that I don't have a Texan accent....the quiz proved it!

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I am an odd duck, I guess. That's what proper english does to you when you use it here in the South!
...You trick everyone

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your Result:The Midland, "You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

so not fair. they just lump "the west" together. there is tons of different accents, even between WA/OR and CA let alone montana, ID, AZ, UT, NA and that is just off the top of my head. i have lived in the pacific northwest(WA, OR, ID), USA my entire life. however my family is from the midwest. but i do watch a lot of tv.

oregon is the only state that doesn't have reigonal accents. it is a hodgepodge mixture of everything. different words have different accents. and different sentences have different accents, that is just how it is here. WA tends to speak chrisper than in OR, though.

I pick up on US accents real easy. i was on the computer in the living room while the rest of my family watched Walk The Line and by the time it was over, me, my sister and my mother all had Witherspoons's accent. without even trying. and my bf picked up the slow oklahoma accent from his basic training in Fort Sill. it is so annoying. the only thing i don't like about it is that it is reeeaaalllyyy sllllooooowwwwww.

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AuntSewissa

I got The Midland

Which is funny b/c I'm born and raised in Virginia. Never lived anywhere else. Mom's from Mississippi and Dad from Va. Don't know how I got a Western Accent
most likely tv and radio and other things like that.

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

wash is worsh.
i have never understood how people can come up with that. and i hail from Washington so it is really annoying. there is no "r" in "wash" for crying out loud.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I've actually heard that the northeastern part of Nebraska is used as the basis of "accent" (or non-accent) for national reporters. Both of my parents grew up in that area, and I grew up in Colorado. But they (mom and dad) have some linguistic quirks that always drove me nuts - like creek sounds like crick, and wash is worsh.
My mom was born in NW Missouri (as was I) and grew up in Missouri and surrounding states. She has lived here in Portland for the past 20+ years and still says "worsh" for wash and "winduh" for window. Worshrag instead of washcloth. Sometimes she slips and uses crick instead of creek. I find in rural areas out here many people pronounce it crick. Makes me wonder what the original pronunciation was?

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As someone with the "accentless" British accent (as in the generic one you get from going to University in the UK) layered with Scottish, Northen English and Icelandic I decided to skip that quiz.. heh.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ILoveMyKitty

I pick up on US accents real easy. i was on the computer in the living room while the rest of my family watched Walk The Line and by the time it was over, me, my sister and my mother all had Witherspoons's accent. without even trying. and my bf picked up the slow oklahoma accent from his basic training in Fort Sill. it is so annoying. the only thing i don't like about it is that it is reeeaaalllyyy sllllooooowwwwww.
I'm like that when I speak on the phone with my friend in Georgia. Accent sticks around for a couple of hours.
I had a conference call on Saturday. The people were from Georgia (originally from Montana), Minnesota, Kentucky, New Jersey and Indiana (but originally from NYC). Those calls are always interesting with the former New Yorker speaking very quickly and the woman from Kentucky doing what I call her honey-drawl
I'm never sure what accent I have after one of those calls

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't really understand the results for me - it says Boston. I've heard Boston accents and don't sound anything like it! I'm a Swedish French Canadian - try to figure that one out!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IT HAD ME PEGGED!!!!!!! NYC, TRI STATE.......funny thing is I thought I was pronouncing things correctly, but not unpurpose!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I'm from Southern California.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I'm from Southern California.
Is there actually a Californian accent? Most of the inhabitants seem to have moved there from elsewhere at some point, so I'd think there's little in the way of a "local accent".

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Inland North, which is true. And yes, it's called "pop". Also, yes, I do get asked if I'm from Chicago whenever I travel. You'd think I sound like Dan Akroyd in Blue Brothers or something! (Who knows...maybe all of my friends and I do!)

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Your Result: The Northeast
Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.