QUIZ: What American accent do you have?

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.
I'm actually from TN, but I did so much customer service work in the past that I learned to really mask my accent.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Is there actually a Californian accent? Most of the inhabitants seem to have moved there from elsewhere at some point, so I'd think there's little in the way of a "local accent".
There's Val talk and the surfers seem to have a sort of surfer accent. They say "Dude" all of the time, and if they're exited about something, they're really "stoked". I don't know. I think most other Californians talk like I do.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio."

HAHAH I DO live in Ohio!

catmomof2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am right outside of philly

Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Inland North here-but of course what do you expect as I'm born and raised in Wisconsin. Can I have a soda now???
Inland North - You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

I was born and raised in WI, and have never used the word pop either....its always soda...the bubbler however is a different story.

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think I even have one. Is there a midwestern accent? I "think" I sound like the all the people on TV.

angi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the process of moving from So. CA to So. WI!!
The Midlands

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Sounds pretty close. I lived in central Iowa & southern Wisconsin pretty much all of my life. I don't think I have any sort of accent, but after moving here (So. Cal.) last fall, my boyfriend thinks I do.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It was fun to take the quiz! It was also very correct!
I am from Chicago, and I do call carbonated drinks, POP!
I have lived in Texas since I was 9 yrs. old and I'm now 43!
I guess the true Northern accent still has it's affect!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I say pop

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, here's what mine says...
Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

& of course, i'm from near Dallas, so i guess it's pretty close, huh?

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, I'm from N/W Indiana (just 45 miles outside of Chicago) and I say "pop" also for carbonated drinks.