Quitting smoking....

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi KharmasMom! Way to go day 4!

It's great hearing more perspectives - and it's great hearing you are doing well with it! You have a great attitude!

All - definitely up the liquid intake! Bad dehydration is very common as your body is healing! I drank my normal amounts and it wasn't enough! Even if you are not thirsty - drink drink drink!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Megan! Congrats for being smoke free for 4 days!

Health and money are the reasons to quit! Not to mention the nasty smell and yucky teeth stains! Licorice, I wish I could handle the taste. I'm going to stick to chewing gum - no sugar free though. I think that brushing your teeth alot with minty toothpaste and chewing cinnamon might help, so I'm going to try that. The gum might also keep my mind off of eating/snacking too.

Keep up the good work Megan!! Congratulate your hubby for us!

CDubbie - you're right about that liquid intake but dang, I already can feel and almost hear the sloshing in my tummy
But I will be drinking more regardless! Thanks!

babygirl2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just thought I would check in. I have been smoke free for a week now
and I didn't think I would make it past the first day. Congrats to all of you who decided to quit. It is well worth it.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

Hi Im Megan and I am 4 days SMOKE FREE!!!!!!!!!!

I smoked for 20 years, yup I started at 12. I have no idea what life is like to be a nonsmoker. Its very weird to me.

DH and I both stopped at the same time it made more sence plus we can support eachother. For us the biggest motivating thing was the money. We both smoke 2 packs a day. We spent $16 a day, thats $480 a month. Thats almost half our rent burned away. We decided every day we don't buy cigs the money we would have spent goes into a jar. At the end of the month we go and buy anything we want. If we were going the throuw the money away one smokes why not blow it on something we can atleast show for it. We figure the health benifits will be a great side effect.

First big purchase will be a couch. First new one for us ever. Our current one was a hand me down from his parents so it will be special. we also plan on getting new bike parts and customizing our single speeds.

We are both shocked at how easy it was. I think we were both finally mentally ready to not smoke. I found that drinking a lot of water, uping my fiber intake and eating black liqorish helped the most. I am kind of lucky most people, my DH being one of them find themselves to be hungry. Me I have no appitite what so ever.

DH had a bit of a harder time. He needed to actually suck and chew on liqorish root plus take this stuff called Bupleurum and Dragonbone. Its suppose to help calm you down when that urge its and you just feel all edgy and need to smoke. It does work so far every time he has take it within an hour hes all relaxed and able to cope. He says its use in rehabs for heroin patients to help them get though the day.

Basicly so far so good. We will see how I am doing in a week, month and year from now.

Good luck to everyone who wants to stop. This is our year. Make it happen.
Congrats on smoke free for 4 days! Keep it up! You also have great motivation, each others best interest as well as financial gain. I was a smoker for 20+ years, I quit 2 years 3 months ago and haven't missed it. One of my major motivations was money as well, but in the long run the biggest rewards was physically!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babygirl2000

and I didn't think I would make it past the first day. Congrats to all of you who decided to quit. It is well worth it.
Woo-hoo!!! One week is great!! WTG!!

Congrats on smoke free for 4 days! Keep it up! You also have great motivation, each others best interest as well as financial gain. I was a smoker for 20+ years, I quit 2 years 3 months ago and haven't missed it. One of my major motivations was money as well, but in the long run the biggest rewards was physically!
Cheylink - thank you so much for stopping in! Seeing a long term quitter who is glad to be quit is awesome to have around! People like you keep me quit! I'm being sincere - keeping this quit is challenging for me...but I hear it will be worth it and the only way through it is through it! I need ppl like you around! Please hang out often!

Over two years! Wow!

julianne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babygirl2000

Keep it up!

That is fantastic! Have you started to feel changes in your breathing / taste yet??

It is now 3 weeks for me, and I am feeling fantastic. Although I am quite fit, I am now considering taking up karate or self defence classes... I never thought I would be feeling like this a month ago!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welllllll. This was the last weekend prior to quitting for both me and Cat (lilMaggie).....only a couple more days.

I will have my last cigarette around 7:15am Tues. morning. I don't know what Cat's plans are, but as it stands I have to be at the hospital for 7:30am and will definately have one prior to surgery and that's it... done.

HAPPY NEWS: One of my friends, I went to college with last yr.... he smoked ALOT. He started having problems with his lungs/heart around fall of last year... all related to smoking. I helped him cut back (he was smoking bout 60 cigs a day) but he couldn't quite quit.

He had surgery on April 1, for kidney stones, and quit smoking that day
Honestly, I never thought he would quit.... he's older than me, smoking for at least 30yrs..... I hoped he would quit. The chest probs were very scary.

I am so thankful that he did finally quit

Now it's my turn.

I wish my mom would quit, but that isn't gonna happen

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeppirs! Only a couple more days until April 7th!
My plans are: the minute I wake up and fall out of bed, I don't light a cigarette Tuesday. I say only Tuesday because it is going to be a one day at a time quit. I will def be smoke free Tuesday! I'll worry about Wednesday when it's Wednesday.

Chris - That's great news about your friend! I'm glad you were there to at least get him to cut back. Quit entirely?! That's awesome!

When your mom sees how well you're doing not smoking, maybe she might try and at least cut down?

Julianne - 3 weeks quit!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

Yeppirs! Only a couple more days until April 7th!
My plans are: the minute I wake up and fall out of bed, I don't light a cigarette Tuesday. I say only Tuesday because it is going to be a one day at a time quit. I will def be smoke free Tuesday! I'll worry about Wednesday when it's Wednesday.
That's exactly how I am looking at it too, only I'll have my one Tues morning before surgery....then one day at a time.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not to be stupid...but they allow you to smoke prior to surgery?
When I have my surgeries I can't ingest anything or have a smoke. When it is over I practically push down everyone to get outside to smoke

I'm looking forward to my next surgery almost...since I dont smoke anymore and I should heal faster now

SnakeLady = Good Luck tomorrow on your surgery! I'll be thinking of you!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

Not to be stupid...but they allow you to smoke prior to surgery?
When I have my surgeries I can't ingest anything or have a smoke. When it is over I practically push down everyone to get outside to smoke

I'm looking forward to my next surgery almost...since I dont smoke anymore and I should heal faster now

SnakeLady = Good Luck tomorrow on your surgery! I'll be thinking of you!
Not a stupid question at all..... but yes, they can't really stop you from smoking prior to surgery. Although, some surgeons now are actually starting to refuse operating on a smoker (if its an elective surgery).

It helps that my surgery is not a general anesthetic, it is a local anesthetic/block plus lots of drugs to make me dopey.

When I had my tubal, prior to going under, because I smoked they had me use an inhaler 6 times prior to it.

They will say that they prefer you don't smoke, but they won't cancel a surgery because you do smoke. I think Canada's health care may be a little relaxed in that aspect. I don't know what its like in the US.

Does it vary depending on what type of surgery or anesthetic in your case? Do they just want you to not smoke on the day of surgery? What about the day before? I've heard of some surgeons here saying no smoking for at least 24hrs prior to a general anesthetic.

Thank you for the well wishes

I quit smoking tommorrow

and so does Cat
I think I am more excited that someone else is quitting, than myself LOL.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I don't know, I live in Missouri and we have some great hospitals. I've had lots of surgeries being completely put under and they always check you out with lots of questions and monitors. They ask if you smoke and how much and I've always been honest. They seemed so much more concerned about food and drink intake but not smoking. I've always had just put out a cig while going in the hospital doors and only had to wait around an hour or so with prep b/f getting completely knocked out.

Tomorrow is the big day! LOL Chris, I feel the same way, it's more exciting that someone else is quitting!!

I'll be sending all day for your surgery tomorrow!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

Tomorrow is the big day! LOL Chris, I feel the same way, it's more exciting that someone else is quitting!!

I'll be sending all day for your surgery tomorrow!
Thanks Cat

I can't believe how quick it came.... remember when I was complaining that I shouldn't have put it off when my surgery was rescheduled? I can't believe how fast time has flown by.

I am ready to do this. I'll be smoking my last cigarette in approx. 7hrs.

Goooodd byeeeee cancer sticks

We can do this Cat. We're both very strong women, and stopping smoking should help us with some other probs. It helps me soooo much knowing that you are quitting too.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You took the words right out of my mouth!

I have to say, I'm smoking a few more than usual tonight knowing it'll be the last I'll be smoking. I'll be going to bed in another couple hours and have 1 ciggy still here, there's none left in the house.

The time DID go by quick, it feels like it was just a couple days ago and now the BIG DAY is only hours away! I know it will be difficult for you after you get back from surgery, but when you're up to it, let us know how you're feeling AND of course, how you're doing with not smoking.

I'm also so glad you're quitting with me because I'm not all that positive I could do this by myself. You're my own personal smoke buddy to lean on because we're going through it at the same time, I hope you feel the same!

Thanks to all that have posted on this thread, but please, don't stop posting! The first few days are crucial and we'll need tons of support! Besides, I personally love reading all the success stories!! They really help!

Tomorrow I will not smoke

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Maggie!! How are you today?

Please remind me - are you using any aids to quit? How about snakelady? (I cant remember - sorry)

You can do this! Any time I didnt think I could I would "surround" myself with ppl who could - and I did it! I'm almost at two months and I didnt think I could. Obviously I can - which means you can too!

Today I will not smoke.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi CDubbie!
I'm here! And doing great! Ok, that's not compeletly true, I'm going through a few of the jitters every few hours but I expected that. Do you have that now and then? I'm using no aids like patches, nicogum ect. Just chewing the heck out of regular gum and snacking on veggies. Drinking tons of liquids too.
Thanks for asking! You've given me so much hope and support!

And I like how you think......
Today I will not smoke!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
with all the crap that happened today, i did smoke today.

tomorrow is going to be my day 1......and tomorrow i will not smoke. I had Mark go get me the patch....it really helped with my one quit so i'm hoping it will take away my urges especially with the increased pain.... today was such a screw up.... uggggg.

Mark is gonna take my smokes with him to work tomorrow, and wake me in the morning to stick a patch on me.

Had things gone smoothly today, i was all prepared to quit.....then........

so tomorrow, april 8, i will NOT smoke.

to my dear friend Cat. Good job

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all that you just went through, I would have smoked too. What a horrible way to spend a first day of quitting!!
Don't worry Chris, tomorrow you'll do great! You have all of our support here
YOU CAN DO IT!

Thanks for the hugs! I'm having the nic jitters but still smoke free! My mouth is so sore from chewing gum!! LOL

Today I will not smoke

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I will not smoke.

Day 1 of the rest of my life.

julianne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Today I will not smoke.

Day 1 of the rest of my life.
Thats the attitude to have!

Remember one day at a time - do not think about not smoking tomorrow, the weekend etc... Just concentrate on today!

Julianne.