Quitting smoking....

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all -
CONGRATS to Julianne - 2 weeks smoke free!
WTG!!

And babygirl - WOW, 4 days! That's fantastic!! Keep up the good work!

To everyone else, thanks for the support! It does really help!

Chris..
I'm still waiting for the big day! I think I'm going to continue with ciggies as many as I think I need whether it's 8 or 5, it depends on the stress I suppose. I guess it'll still feel like quitting cold turkey smoking that many a day but either way, I'm still quitting

3 ciggies?? WOW to stick to it! I'm rooting for ya!

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations to everyone who has quit and others who are on their way to quitting!

If its of any help......think how much better your health will improve and then think how fortunate your families will be to have you in their life for a healthier and longer period! I did it because I want as many years as I can possibly give myself to see my children grow to old age.

miamaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to pop in say congratulations and good luck, again, to everyone on here. I haven't had a cigarette in about 2 months, but I am seriously hooked on the nicotine gum. Yikes. So my next goal is to stop using it, starting today.

Scott and Babygirl, I saw that you were using the gum as well. How is that going for you?

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MiaMaria

Just wanted to pop in say congratulations and good luck, again, to everyone on here. I haven't had a cigarette in about 2 months, but I am seriously hooked on the nicotine gum. Yikes. So my next goal is to stop using it, starting today.

Scott and Babygirl, I saw that you were using the gum as well. How is that going for you?
Good luck on giving up the gum MiaMaria! I don't know what that is like - please share with us once you experience it. You are not smoking - which is outstanding!

I am on day 51/CT quit. I did not think I could ever quit...let alone for 51 days or cold turkey. Yeah me! I NEVER want to do a quit again! I want this to be the only time.

KeepTheQuit

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

Good luck on giving up the gum MiaMaria! I don't know what that is like - please share with us once you experience it. You are not smoking - which is outstanding!

I am on day 51/CT quit. I did not think I could ever quit...let alone for 51 days or cold turkey. Yeah me! I NEVER want to do a quit again! I want this to be the only time.

KeepTheQuit
Good on you. I don't know what day I'm on but I quit on January 16th so am doing well. Everyone is really doing well. Keep up the good work.

julianne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just popping in to say you are all doing a fantastic job!

I am still off the cigarettes
and feeling great!

Still have the occasional craving, but after being smoke free for this long, there is no way I am going to start from scratch again!

Babygirl, keep at it! I found Day 3, Day 7 and Day 14 (??) the worst. The rest were plain sailing. One day at a time

Chris and Cat you must be excited / nervous about your quit day approaching... Don't be! - I was petrified the closer it got, but when it actually happened it was not as bad as I thought it would be

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Julianne it's so awesome that you're doing so well!

MiaMaria, we need to help support you with that nicogum, just like quitting smoking! You can do it! We're here if you want to talk about it

Wow CDubbie! 51 days??? That's fantastic!!

Yosemite, I think that'd put you at umm 75 days? WOW!! Good job!!

I love to read about people sucessfully quitting, it really is a huge confindence builder!

I'm actually excited and not so nervous. I can't wait to quit but I have to have a set date and it's already been set. I'm absotively sure that I can and will quit for good. I also figure that if or when I do crave a ciggy, what better place to come than here where the TCS supporters are!!

April 7th, the big day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

I'm actually excited and not so nervous. I can't wait to quit but I have to have a set date and it's already been set. I'm absotively sure that I can and will quit for good. I also figure that if or when I do crave a ciggy, what better place to come than here where the TCS supporters are!!

April 7th, the big day!
I'm excited, but also starting to get a little nervous/anxious.

I am firm on quitting, even if surgery is postponed... that I can say with certainty.

I am so very glad I posted about this.... even if one person (Julianne) grew the added strength to quit from me starting this thread, that makes me incredibly happy
I didn't really think I'd end up have others quit, and also getting someone to quit on the same day as me, so we can be "grumpy" together
That I am greatful for.

The countdown is on, and I fully intend on giving it my all. I don't want to let anyone down, but I also don't want to let myself down either.

I've smoked alot today, dunno why..... but I am still aiming for only 3 cigs on the weekend ( 1 midmorning, 1 in the afternoon, and my bedtime one)....it will help get some of it out of my system prior to Tuesday.

I'm also going to grab some cranberry juice to help flush out the toxins. I already drink alot of water (bout 4.5-5L a day) so with the added cran juice it should help.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toxins? Ruh roh, I hadn't thought about toxins.
I already drink tons of water and gatorade, is that Ok?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Toxins? Ruh roh, I hadn't thought about toxins.
I already drink tons of water and gatorade, is that Ok?
Yup, waters good, not sure on gatorade....

I know Cranberry juice is good because of the antioxident affect.... something in my memory says OJ is good too (might be wrong on that one)....but definately up your intake of water, it should help flush the nasties out of your system faster

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some links:

http://www.stop-smoking-tips.com/sto...ids-water.html
http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/thef...stweektips.htm
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/quit..._cessation.htm

from the last link
After quitting, you may feel dizzy, restless, nervous or even have strong headaches. This is because you are lacking the immediate release of sugar that cigarettes provide – and why you may have a bigger appetite. These sugar-related cravings should only last a few days until your body adjusts to this new smoke-less state of being. So, for the first 3 or 4 days after you quit, make sure you keep your sugar levels a bit higher than usual by drinking plenty of juice. It will help prevent the craving symptoms triggered by a lack of sugar and help your body re-adjust back to normal.
http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/horrid-printable.htm

(really good link ^)

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Chris
My system doesn't do well with lots of juices, especially OJ because of the acidity. I do drink green tea, hot and cold and I thought I heard somewhere that it's also an antioxident but I'm not sure. I guess I'll be adding more water to the gallon I drink a day - it sure seems like that much!

Edit: I realize I post too fast LOL Thanks for the links! Instead of juice, I might add a teaspoon of sugar to my unsweetened tea for the first few days.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks Chris
My system doesn't do well with lots of juices, especially OJ because of the acidity. I do drink green tea, hot and cold and I thought I heard somewhere that it's also an antioxident but I'm not sure. I guess I'll be adding more water to the gallon I drink a day - it sure seems like that much!
The more I've read, just increasing your water intake will help alot..... doesn't have to be juice....

I'm planning on using water as a crutch for urges....when I feel the urge, I will drink at least 16oz water.

I typically walk around with a bottle of water, 32oz or 1L....and have at least 4 of those....so I think I'm definately gonna be cleaning out my kidneys when I quit LOL

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I typically walk around with a bottle of water, 32oz or 1L....and have at least 4 of those....so I think I'm definately gonna be cleaning out my kidneys when I quit LOL
I drink a bit more water than that, plus gatorade and lots of tea. With drinking even more, I wasn't going to post this but will anyway, I think you and I are going to have to invest in a porta-potty!

THANKS Laureen! Now I don't feel bad drinking so much tea! I had no idea it did that much

miamaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lil maggie and Cdubbie - thank you so much for the well wishes. I've weaned myself from the 4 mg gum to the 2 mg gum, but now it seems I'm chewing more of the 2 mg. I'm going to take it slowly, since the gum is relatively harmless compared to smoking (and actually cheaper, with the huge taxes they have now!)

lil maggie- Best of luck to you and congratulations on picking a date!!! I remember the worst thought that was in my head before quitting was "OK so I can't EVER have one again?" -- that caused me so much anxiety. I got around this by saying "if I really need one, cigarettes are always available." Of course I've never needed one, so it's worked so far, kind of a reverse psychology trick on myself!

I find myself drinking a lot more seltzer water since I quit.. it helps keep your mind off the cravings and flushes out your system, like Chris said.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
lil maggie- Best of luck to you and congratulations on picking a date!!! I remember the worst thought that was in my head before quitting was "OK so I can't EVER have one again?" -- that caused me so much anxiety. I got around this by saying "if I really need one, cigarettes are always available." Of course I've never needed one, so it's worked so far, kind of a reverse psychology trick on myself!
I had issues with the "never again" concept too. That's mainly why I commit to not smoking TODAY. I can't commit to a week/month/year from now...just today. Whatever works baby!

I noticed the urges and craves have escalated the past two days...I think it might be related to my cycle (oh goody! just what I need). After this many days and a really good Monday (my quit started on a MOnday so each Monday is a new week and that means new changes) I didnt anticipate such discomfort. With my cycle anything that is troublesome is magnified and subsides in tune with the cycle. Being a woman in neat-o sometimes

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

I noticed the urges and craves have escalated the past two days...I think it might be related to my cycle (oh goody! just what I need). After this many days and a really good Monday (my quit started on a MOnday so each Monday is a new week and that means new changes) I didnt anticipate such discomfort. With my cycle anything that is troublesome is magnified and subsides in tune with the cycle. Being a woman in neat-o sometimes
You know what, thx for bringing that up. I never even thought of my monthly cycle.... that could account for why I smoked so much yesterday.. I'm at the ovulation point, and cravings tend to increase (usually for salt, sometimes sweet and now that you mention it I think it may increase cig urges).

Interesting.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's right! For some of you, maybe keeping track on a calendar so you know ahead of time what days will be tougher for you while quitting might help. Which will be the same thing for those who already quit some time ago. Some days will def be rougher than others just because of your body chemistry. Maybe on those days find a different outlet for the mood swings, anxieties ect. that come with monthy cycles. I don't know?
As for me, I've had a complete hysterectomy so the only cycle I have is the one collecting dust in my basement

(I always crave salt and sugar!)

MiaMaria - thanks for the update and please keep us informed how you're doing! I think it helps to let others know and keeps us in check with ourselves. I don't want to start chewing nicogum because I don't like the taste but I might start chewing regular gum (not sugar free) to keep my mouth busy since lots of times I only have Maggie to talk to LOL

I really like your outlook CDubbie! Just worry about TODAY and make it through it! I'm going to think hard about that when April 7th comes! Today I will not smoke! I like that!

Chris, I'm so glad you started this Quitting Smoking thread! Look how much it's helped so many so far and lots of peeps now want to quit! Not to mention how much closer we all feel fighting the same cause!

I will not smoke April 7th!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Im Megan and I am 4 days SMOKE FREE!!!!!!!!!!

I smoked for 20 years, yup I started at 12. I have no idea what life is like to be a nonsmoker. Its very weird to me.

DH and I both stopped at the same time it made more sence plus we can support eachother. For us the biggest motivating thing was the money. We both smoke 2 packs a day. We spent $16 a day, thats $480 a month. Thats almost half our rent burned away. We decided every day we don't buy cigs the money we would have spent goes into a jar. At the end of the month we go and buy anything we want. If we were going the throuw the money away one smokes why not blow it on something we can atleast show for it. We figure the health benifits will be a great side effect.

First big purchase will be a couch. First new one for us ever. Our current one was a hand me down from his parents so it will be special. we also plan on getting new bike parts and customizing our single speeds.

We are both shocked at how easy it was. I think we were both finally mentally ready to not smoke. I found that drinking a lot of water, uping my fiber intake and eating black liqorish helped the most. I am kind of lucky most people, my DH being one of them find themselves to be hungry. Me I have no appitite what so ever.

DH had a bit of a harder time. He needed to actually suck and chew on liqorish root plus take this stuff called Bupleurum and Dragonbone. Its suppose to help calm you down when that urge its and you just feel all edgy and need to smoke. It does work so far every time he has take it within an hour hes all relaxed and able to cope. He says its use in rehabs for heroin patients to help them get though the day.

Basicly so far so good. We will see how I am doing in a week, month and year from now.

Good luck to everyone who wants to stop. This is our year. Make it happen.