Quitting smoking....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thread brought this to mind, soooooooooooooooooo.

How's all the group doing?

Our quitters, how long has it been?
To the ones who set a date, did you follow through?
To the ones thinking about it, are u gonna?

Its been 16mos, and I must say I am quite happy, proud, and due to some health issues last weekend I ended up with a pulmonary angiogram, which showed that I don't have lung cancer
(it was a concern)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

Hubby and I quit May 2009 and we are still going strong! We both get really strong cravings once in a while, but overall, we don't miss it one bit!

You guys have a month longer than me, good for you

I can't help but wonder about everyone that quit around the same time I did, ya'll were there through my struggle, I hope that you are doing well

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still not smoking - January will be 2 years. In all honesty I have not had the desire for a cigarette since I quit, even when I'm around my friends who do still smoke.

It's good to know you don't have lung cancer Chris. I was in the hospital for COPD and the lady beside me had lung cancer. A nurse told me that one could get either COPD or cancer but not usually both from smoking.

I smoked for 49 years and am thrilled that I finally quit. I've already done the damage to my lungs as I have COPD which restricts my physical activity somewhat but thankfully not too much. It's never too late to quit.

Congratulations to all of you that have quit and are still not smoking.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm still not smoking - January will be 2 years. In all honesty I have not had the desire for a cigarette since I quit, even when I'm around my friends who do still smoke.

It's good to know you don't have lung cancer Chris. I was in the hospital for COPD and the lady beside me had lung cancer. A nurse told me that one could get either COPD or cancer but not usually both from smoking.
Lung cancer, and COPD were about the only smoking related risks I was actually worried about, so while the chest pain incident a few weekends ago was a terrifying event for me, I had to look at the bonus in that the pulmonary angiogram showed no problems with my lungs, thankfully and that test is not something a doc just gives routinely, I "lucked" out because emerg thought I may have a pulmonary embolism. Ya'll know me well enough to know I have to try to find the positive in everything.

My g-ma had emphysema(sp), COPD, (for many years, tho I don't understand the difference) and finally lung cancer. She died umm, 2-3yrs ago now due to the cancer which ended up in her brain as well. I was still smoking at her funeral

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

My g-ma had emphysema(sp), COPD, (for many years, tho I don't understand the difference) and finally lung cancer. She died umm, 2-3yrs ago now due to the cancer which ended up in her brain as well. I was still smoking at her funeral
My former family doctor insisted that the term COPD was related only to lung disorders from smoking while others will lump emphysema, asthma, and other lung ailments under the COPD umbrella.