Questions and problems

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
1366 x 768 pixels, which is as high as it goes. I could try lowering it, but now that I've managed to log in I'm afraid to log out again.
No need, just wanted the specs to investigate further - thanks!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
So you have to log-in in order to even read threads? When I don't log-in, I can only read the first post of each thread. As soon as I do log-in, everything appears. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

The smilies are just a huge mash....everything is together. Is there any way to group them like they were before? With this many smilie icons, it's difficult to find what we're looking for.

And again, slow.....really slow. I got so frustrated that I started timing how long it took me to get to a new thread, for the screen to change, to log-in, to do anything. Evidently, the board is set so that it takes 18 seconds to do anything here. Think 18 seconds is fast? Time it. I'm serious. And while I sit here and wait, I can do nothing else....just twiddle my thumbs. I'll get to be a good thumb twiddler if nothing else.

I'm sorry to be so negative. I'm trying not to be.....honest. But this is simply way too slow.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've reported the problem with only being able to read the first post to Anne. That seems to be the case only for the threads started today, at least for me.

I don't know what the problem is with the slowness - I'm not experiencing it. What browser are you using? Some aren't fully supported. Do you have the problem with other browsers? Have you logged out, cleared your browser cache, and logged back in?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all

I am running Redhat Linux. Last night I had no preview "button" but I do now
. Last night I also had no emotion icons, but I do now.

I can not manually, when using Firefox click the misspelled word
.  I have to spell check the whole post as if it was a word document, is there a way around that?

Lastly, I have NO EDIT feature. Is that done on purpose? If so, I am NOT HAPPY!!

Last edited:

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I have no YES option for this.  I, too, have trouble with this full page view, it hurts my eyes terribly. I found preferences okay, but there is no YES option under the constrain threads to Constant Width.

And my firefox spell check,  is not working in this forum. The missspelled word is highlighted but right clicking does not give me the correct spelling, it gives me nothing.

If you went to preference in your profile, you would click the box for yes. Right under this post there should be preference listed. If you click on that, it will pop up a box that gives you yes and no options.
AS far as the spelling, I was having the same problem and just figured it out.
. Chance your text from the rich editor to the BB editor and the FF spelling will work.

Another option for accessing Firefox add-ons like the spell check.  In the Rich Text Editor, hold down the control key when you do your right mouse click.  This will bring up the Firefox sub-menu instead.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hi all

I am running Redhat Linux. Last night I had no preview "button" but I do now
. Last night I also had no emotion icons, but I do now.

I can not manually, when using Firefox click the misspelled word
.  I have to spell check the whole post as if it was a word document, is there a way around that?

Lastly, I have NO EDIT feature. Is that done on purpose? If so, I am NOT HAPPY!!
Hold the control key when you right mouse click and you will get the Firefox sub-menu as before.

What post are you trying to edit?  Recent posts can be edited but not older ones.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry the color scheme isn't comfortable for you :( It's actually the default color scheme we used on the old platform, and the one an overwhelming majority of members are used to.
I'm afraid there's no built-in option in the forums to choose a different skin, however, if you're using Firefox, you may be able to use this solution -
  • Go to Tools > Options
  • Under the Content Tab, click where it says "colors"
  • Uncheck where it says "Allow sites to choose their own colors"
  • Set up the colors of your choices for background, fonts and links.
This will not create a very pretty design, but should allow you to get rid of any bothersome colors and create a simple palette of your own.
Hope this helps!
Actually, it is similar colors, but MUCH harsher (brighter?). The old forum default was almost a pastel - much softer. :nod:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this an appropriate place to comment about smileys? There seem to be some missing? If we're constrained to the number in the box, can the site perhaps swap some?

:clap:
:D

Are the two that seem to be missing. I thought the old code wasn't working, but when I type :nod: the picture comes up, so I assume the problem is that the smileys don't pop up when code is used are no longer an option?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I have to say, the site is much faster for me now than on the old server. I will alert the tech people, but I suspect it's an ISP issue and not a problem with the site.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Font colors? I know we can't use them in signatures, but in the beta, we were able to use colors for fonts in posts. The color palette icon is there, but nothing happens when I click it (other than this): COLOR=FF00AA The palette doesn't show up, can't select a color. ????

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Comment on the color scheme again, sorry! I noticed (that for me) the only "harsh" color is the red bar at the top of each post and each forum. INSIDE a specific forum, it's all the softer colors.

Maybe this was the missing smiley:

:rolleyes:

And another question about navigation. On the old site, when clicking on a thread I already posted to, it would automatically take me to where I left off when I revisted the thread. This forum seems to take me to the first post of the thread each time, so I have to click through the pages to get to where I left off?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Well im viewing the site through my phone and won't be doing that very often as I still can't use the view new post button that works because the site can't open the drop down menus will there ever be a button that is just a button?

On the bottom left of the page above the red bar you will see:

View: New Posts | All Discussions

If you click New posts, it will work on your phone. :)

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well im viewing the site through my phone and won't be doing that very often as I still can't use the view new post button that works because the site can't open the drop down menus will there ever be a button that is just a button?
Was wondering the same thing...  ????  Thanks :)