Question of the Day, Wednesday, August 31, 2022

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :lovecat2: It's the last day of August and before you know it autumn will soon be here. I love most types of berries but have to admit there are some I've never tried and not sure if I've seen them at the store. So many different to choose from, e.g. strawberry , blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, cranberry, boysenberry, ligonberry and elderberry. My favorites are blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. I eat them plain, add them to yogurt and use them in baking muffins or cakes. How about you?

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE TYPE OF BERRIES AND HOW DO YOU EAT THEM?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strawberries. When I used to have them (no room in the mini fridge I have now) they were split in half, soaked in water and sugar overnight (the resulting syrup is DIVINE) and eaten with cream. One of the few good things about summer imo!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, I love berries! Especially strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. If cherries count, I love them plain, too (I dislike cooked cherriesand maraschino with a passion).

Blueberries are great raw, in pancakes and muffins.

Strawberries raw (we had them with champagne and powdered sugar for a reception when I graduated college and it was divine) with shortcake, or with rhubarb in pie. And jam!

I'm not fond of cranberry or raspberry, but otherwise give me all the berries (or beebees, as J calls them).

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strawberries, raw or in preserves
Blueberries, raw, or in muffins, pancakes, or ice cream
Cranberries, cooked, as a sauce, or in muffins
Elderberries, raw or in pies

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Blueberries. When I worked, I would buy them from our local Kiwaniis, ten pounds for $30.00. Bag them up, throw them in the freezer, and use as needed. Muffins and buckle are my most favorite way to use blueberries. But I also love them raw, straight out of the freezer. While Rick is not a blueberry fan at all, he'll now eat baked goods with blueberries.

Strawberries. We have a strawberry patch up in the garden. I like to make strawberry shortcake, but with sweet muffins instead of shortcake. Strawberry Angel Trifle, with strawberries, chunks of angel food cake, and whipped cream. Sliced and macerated, served over scoops of vanilla ice cream.

I know cranberries are a seasonal berry, but I keep bags of cranberries in the freezer. I never know when the urge for cranberry relish is going to hit me. Thankfully this past Easter, I had cranberries in the freezer because my nephew-in-law(?) wanted cranberry relish with Easter dinner. Nobody had cranberries; at least I couldn't find any at the stores, so I had to use my freezer stash. I also keep dried cranberries on hand to use like raisins in cookies, muffins, and such.

I haven't had other berries in years, but I do like raspberries and blackberries, too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries… I love them all! The other day DH was running to the store after work and I asked him to get me raspberries and blackberries. He came home with those plus blueberries and they were SO good!! We judt enjoyed them raw like that.

I like them in desserts, syrups, jams, etc. But I think fresh and on their own is my favorite.

We have a mulberry tree on our property but we never really take advantage. I only know what it is because my MILvisited once when they were ripening. My birds out back enjoy them though. ☺

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
black berries , blue berries, strawberries and cranberries
i like to make a cream cheese dip by scratch and dip them in it , the cranberries i like them by themselves

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strawberries are my favorite berries, but I do also like blackberries. I like strawberries in almost any form and blackberries I like raw. I like blueberries but only in muffins and pancakes. Any other form is a no.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strawberries, and I eat them either just like they are or with a little splenda and whipped cream. Sometimes I mash them up, and either eat them that way or over a shortcake. I used to love blackberries when I could pick them growing wild along the street I lived on growing up. Strawberries did too, in the field next to our house. I've never had better berries. Store bought berries are not the same.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Raspberries and blueberries are my favourites, either raw or in a pie as long as no sugar had been added.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Strawberries - sliced over cereal or pancakes, or just as a snack. Strawberry shortcake, topped with cream. Homemade strawberry freezer jam. Strawberry pie, or strawberry/rhubarb pie.

Blueberries - over cereal or pancakes. Pie and muffins.

Raspberries - over cereal or pancakes, or in muffins.

Cranberries - in muffins. Or cooked into a sauce for when I still ate turkey, or these days to go with the Gardein stuffed turk'y at Christmas or Thanksgiving.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wild blackberries and black mulberries. Not store bought...wild. No need to fancy them up, eat them right off the bush/tree.
I know that's not safe but I can't help myself. I'm surprised I don't have some sort of worm or disease.

AmateurCatLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :lovecat2: It's the last day of August and before you know it autumn will soon be here. I love most types of berries but have to admit there are some I've never tried and not sure if I've seen them at the store. So many different to choose from, e.g. strawberry , blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, cranberry, boysenberry, ligonberry and elderberry. My favorites are blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. I eat them plain, add them to yogurt and use them in baking muffins or cakes. How about you?

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE TYPE OF BERRIES AND HOW DO YOU EAT THEM?
A common berry to South Africa is the Cape Gooseberry. It tastes like a sweet blueberry and is my absolute favorite berry along with wild strawberries!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A common berry to South Africa is the Cape Gooseberry. It tastes like a sweet blueberry and is my absolute favorite berry along with wild strawberries!
Thanks for the description of a gooseberry. I'd love to try them. Do you know if we can get them in the US?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
not a fan of anything that hasnt been cooked/grilled/baked or seared good :lol:

Most berries can be cooked, grilled, and baked if you don't like them fresh :tongue: Winchester Winchester can give you a million different ways berries can be used as part of an ingredient in a recipe.

I like all berries. I just eat them fresh and plain.

Thanks for the description of a gooseberry. I'd love to try them. Do you know if we can get them in the US?
Yes. Specialty markets may have them. I've seen them at the local independent specialty market on occasion before.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most berries can be cooked, grilled, and baked if you don't like them fresh :tongue: Winchester Winchester can give you a million different ways berries can be used as part of an ingredient in a recipe.

I like all berries. I just eat them fresh and plain.

Yes. Specialty markets may have them. I've seen them at the local independent specialty market on occasion before.
i dont mind em in pies so long as i know any bugs/worms etc have been cooked until dead :lol: