Question of the Day, Wednesday, August 31, 2022

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I've met a berry that I didn't like:)We grow elderberries,blackberries and raspberries. Mostly I use the blackberries and raspberries for jam but there are a few raspberry angel food cakes throughout the year and maybe a blackberry cobbler or two...he likes that but I'm not a fan.The elderberries get used strictly for jam...elder/razz mostly and elder/blackberry.I love just plain elderberry jam too.Blueberries are okay but we just usually mix them into pancake batter.I keep a quart or 2 in the freezer just for that,along with a couple of bags of cranberries.I used to work with a wonderful lady at WalMart years ago and Loratia made the absolute best gooseberry topping on her cheesecake on the planet!She grew them,so they were prepared fresh,and that's the only way I'd eat them is on top of her cheesecake.Neely,you can get them canned but I've never seen them fresh around here.

AmateurCatLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the description of a gooseberry. I'd love to try them. Do you know if we can get them in the US?
I looked up Gooseberries in America and got this answer:
"Where can you buy gooseberries in the United States? It may be a lesser known fruit, but nowadays you can buy gooseberries everywhere. Shops like Trader Joe's, Walmart and even Amazon sell these berries. Indian grocery stores usually also sell amla, Indian gooseberries, in the fruit and vegetable or frozen departments."

The one's that I am familiar with are a light orange colour (perfect for autumn), I'll attach a picture!

Attachments

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never met a berry I don't like! My favorite is fresh picked blueberries. We drive out to a farm every summer during blueberry season and pick a 5 pound bucket full. We pick summer raspberries at the same time and my husband uses some of both to make jam. I like my berries best straight from the bush!

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strawberries and Raspberries.
Blueberries too, depending on where they are from. I can be picky about taste and freshness!

I prefer just eating them straight, maybe with a sprinkle of icing sugar or whipped cream and honey :)

I also really like Blackcurrants, but mainly in desserts, pastries or as a jam - like Eccles Cakes or tarts.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Num num num…your blackcurrants look a little like our salal berries, which are much harder to find ripe these days. Deep & jammy. The bears here Hoover them up. Reminds me they also like the manzanita berries: I’m told in Portugal you can make a GREEN wine out of them. …Green!? :headscratch: