Question of the day - Thursday 8 October

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was a kid I liked the taste of liver. I did not realize what I was eating. There is not enough money in the world to get me to eat it now.
My mom liked it. She was the only one. She only made it for herself every now and then and only when dad wasn't home because he hated the smell. :lol:

miss eveliina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom liked it. She was the only one. She only made it for herself every now and then and only when dad wasn't home because he hated the smell. :lol:
One of my favourite dishes is called Maksalaatikko which is basically a liver casserole - a Finnish dish.
I do enjoy liver and onions, though. My former boss took my hubby and I out for my birthday dinner last year. I ordered liver and onions and his face was priceless. He was so shocked. :lol:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mushrooms are probably on the top of my list. The smell, look, taste, texture, raw or cooked...all of it.....just gross.
I am not a fan of shellfish, I have never tried oysters, scallops, and a few other "seafood" but I don't think I would like them so never bothered.
I also don't like sweet potatoes, pumpkin, kale, avocado...and I'm sure there are a few other random things, but can't think of them...
As for flavors, I HATE curry! and don't like my food to be "hot" spicy.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Miracle Whip
Miracle Whip shouldn’t even be considered food/edible. 🤢
Meat, fish, and celery off the top of my head. I only eat meat out of convenience. Fish I really hate. That raw smell... nasty. :barfgreen: I'll only eat it when its cooked so well that there are no trace of fish smell coming from it.
I’m that way about chicken. Raw it smells so bad; but cooked is good. Its what we eat most nights too.
Yogurt is so boring! I have tried to like it, but nothing helps make it exciting. I tried adding honey once, that was okay.
I love yogurt with granola and berries! I get a bag of frozen mixed berries like blueberries, cherries, raspberries, etc and defrost them to about 70% defrosted. Its so good! I get plain greek yogurt to avoid the sugar in most yogurts and get the protein from the greek yogurt. The sweetness of the berries tones down the tang of the yogurt.
For the okra haters...My dad grew okra, and Mom served it to us. Nasty, slimy stuff. But back in the late ‘70s, I moved to Panhandle Florida which really is different from the rest of Florida, or was at that time. Very deep South. I commented on how much I hated okra, and my good friend said, “You just haven’t had it prepared right.” She sliced it up, coated it with a cornmeal batter, and deep fried it. It really was good. Super crispy with no slime anywhere. Same with collard greens. I was a teacher, and the lunchroom ladies used to tease me about not eating collard greens. I finally gave in and they were great...prepared the way they did it. They thought I was a hoot. They always saved a bowl for me at lunch after that.

I hate the taste of peppers whether green, yellow or red, cooked or raw. And eel and gator. And liver. I was measuring out liver this afternoon for the cats’ food, and my husband came in, saw it, looked appalled, and said, “What is that?” “Liver,” I said. He shuddered and stumbled out of the room. :lol:
My MIL is from Alabama. DH always said he hated okra. She breaded and fried it and the first 2 bites were good. After that it started tasting like cheesy feet or something.
My stepdad won’t set foot in the house if he smells liver. :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah, I forgot---I don't eat crustaceans. Crabs, lobsters, shrimp, crawfish, etc. I might eat it if it's well hidden or shredded or something like that, but the texture is just a big nope for me. Sea bugs!

And I won't cook ground beef or hang around a kitchen if someone else is cooking it. I don't know why ground beef smells worse than steak but it does. I suppose I don't want to consider what they might add to it, lol. But ugh, it smells just awful while cooking.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my favourite dishes is called Maksalaatikko which is basically a liver casserole - a Finnish dish.
I do enjoy liver and onions, though. My former boss took my hubby and I out for my birthday dinner last year. I ordered liver and onions and his face was priceless. He was so shocked. :lol:
I haven't had a lot of cooked liver, but I grew up eating liversausage and cheese sandwiches, and still enjoy them, though I'm currently not allowed to eat them. I'll definitely give into my craving come January!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I love yogurt with granola and berries!
:yeah: That's my breakfast every morning...and I make my own granola and use an Oregon-based, low-fat yogurt.
After that it started tasting like cheesy feet or something.
Cheesy feet. Okay. I guess that's something else I never eat. Feet, with or without cheese. :lol:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love yogurt with granola and berries! I get a bag of frozen mixed berries like blueberries, cherries, raspberries, etc and defrost them to about 70% defrosted.
I'll give it a try. I always have a billion granolas around and we have frozen blueberries and cherries in the freezer. So leave them a little bit frozen? 🍇🍒🍓

And I won't cook ground beef or hang around a kitchen if someone else is cooking it.
Hmmmm. Potential future fellow vegetarian? :hugs:

I make my own granola
Oh, that's so cool! I am obsessed with buying different brands & flavors of granola. I want to try them all. So far my favorites have nut butters in them. 🥣

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm. Potential future fellow vegetarian?
Oh, I've been vegetarian off and on through the years. Unfortunately, in the US it's easier to eat meat than not, and I don't always have the mental energy to avoid meat products or argue with vegetarian-haters. As it stands now, I rarely prepare meat at home (and only chicken when I do) but don't try to avoid it at a restaurant.

I was feeding the cats a raw/homecooked diet for a while and that made me slightly more comfortable with eating meat myself for some reason. Circle of life, blah blah.

And my brother has been a vegetarian since he was around 15 or 16.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah, I forgot---I don't eat crustaceans. Crabs, lobsters, shrimp, crawfish, etc. I might eat it if it's well hidden or shredded or something like that, but the texture is just a big nope for me. Sea bugs!

And I won't cook ground beef or hang around a kitchen if someone else is cooking it. I don't know why ground beef smells worse than steak but it does. I suppose I don't want to consider what they might add to it, lol. But ugh, it smells just awful while cooking.
Yes, I don't eat crustaceans either. When I was 5 years old, I was traumatized seeing a crab cooked alive.😱😱😱 I wanted to take the pot it was boiling in and dump it in the water. To this day, I will never eat crabs and lobster because of that experience as a child.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I don't eat crustaceans either. When I was 5 years old, I was traumatized seeing a crab cooked alive.😱😱😱 I wanted to take the pot it was boiling in and dump it in the water. To this day, I will never eat crabs and lobster because of that experience as a child.
I think it is horrible that they cook crabs and lobsters alive. I remember on the Emeril Lagasse show he was cooking lobster

and he said "All right you animal rights people, don't be writing in, this is a cooking show. Get over it." One time Ina Garten threw a lobster in a boiling pot and she laughed about it. To this day I have no use for either one of them.

[/QUOTE]

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is horrible that they cook crabs and lobsters alive. I remember on the Emeril Lagasse show he was cooking lobster

and he said "All right you animal rights people, don't be writing in, this is a cooking show. Get over it." One time Ina Garten threw a lobster in a boiling pot and she laughed about it. To this day I have no use for either one of them.
[/QUOTE]
I remember as a kid my parents would cook lobster a lot. Us kids would have lobster races on the kitchen floor and then sob uncontrollably when they were put into the pot.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember my parents ever cooking crabs or lobster but I do remember my father cutting the heads off chickens and bringing home animals that he shot while hunting. I think that is the reason I became a vegetarian at the age of nine years old.

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise

[/QUOTE]
I know, I just don't understand this. That is just cruel to me.