Question Of The Day, Sunday, October 29, 2017

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh! That's drop-dead gorgeous! Let's see more!
I am happy to show off my slabs!

Here's a couple more. The one in my first post is crazy lace agate. The first one below is Owhyee picture jasper and the second whimsical piece is laguna agate.

last best slabs 005.JPG

last best slabs 024.JPG

I really like the last one. It looks like a singer with a conical hat! I cut it 25 years ago and it has a scratch on the left side that needs polishing out. I will get a vibrating lap to polish it again when things settle down in my life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll tell you one specific movie-related thing that made me happy recently.

I found out that there's a 1933 adaptation of "Alice in Wonderland". Cary Grant is in it, at the beginning of his film career, and they've stuffed him in the Mock Turtle costume. You can't even see his face (just a few years later, they'd never be able to get away with hiding Grant's face.) I HAD to see that.

I started smiling the moment he walked onscreen, it was just that ridiculous. But by the end of his scene, I was practically grinning ear to ear. Why? Because Grant took a one-note character with a bulky costume and turned in what is easily the best performance in the movie. All of the other actors seem a bit wooden, but it's like he was determined that audiences remember him. Made me really happy to see that.
oh, wow!!! i hadn't known that! and that's really very cool too! :agree:

Cary Grant was a truly great actor. and he was equally good at thriller type roles/movies (like in North by Northwest, and Notorious) and comedies (like Bringing Up Baby).

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mmmmm......soup!!! :cloud9: truly a wonderful thing!! :yummy:

my, those look like delicious soups you made! :D
Because I make them from scratch they are always different. If I don't eat a soup every morning I just don't feel right.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a toss up for me, i.e. living in an area where we get four seasons but mostly winter and summer I'd have to give two answers, one for indoors and another for outdoors.

Indoors - Art Institute
Outdoors - Nature (Botanic Garden)
the Art Institute during the cool/cold weather, and the Botanic Garden during the warm/hot weather!!! :clap: very nice!!

those are both things that i miss about living in the Washington, DC area. there was the National Arboretum as well as many smaller/less well known gardens -- and the National Aquarium/Baltimore Aquarium (the top 'floor' of which is the tropical rain forest :cloud9:), and then there were the art museums/galleries. so very much to see and enjoy there! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Listening to music. It was a sad day when my iPod Classic died last year. I hate listening to music on my computer or my phone, and carrying around an old CD Walkman is cumbersome, so things weren't the same until I found another iPod Classic at a yard sale this spring.
listening to music with your iPod Classic!!! :thumbsup: very nice!!

i'm so glad to hear that you found another iPod Classic! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Old movies, but I do not have cable any longer for the TCM network. However, I love the old movies!:hearthrob:

@Katie M , I love the old movies with Cary Grant, the one that comes dearly to mind is Arsenic and Old Lace.
old movies, it sounds like especially those on TCM!!! :cloud9: really great!!

i love old movies too! :redheartpump: i don't have cable any longer either, and the one channel i miss is TCM. i'd happily pay (a reasonable monthly charge) to be able to stream just TCM. my internet and cable provider has just recently started offering some channels available to stream. i've been meaning to check if TCM is included in that, and if i could do just TCM. i should call them and ask......:think:

Arsenic and Old Lace
!!! just a wonderful and incredibly funny movie! :crackup:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Katie M , I love the old movies with Cary Grant, the one that comes dearly to mind is Arsenic and Old Lace.
Oh, that's my favorite Halloween movie :clap:[/QUOTE]

and even though it's got a lot of comedy in it, Arsenic and Old Lace definitely has some really creepy, Halloween-worthy scenes in it. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:

I am usually reading 2 or 3 books at the same time, I can't imagine not reading. I feel sad for anyone who hasn't discovered the joys of reading.

As for having the time to savor it...that is another issue entirely.
reading books!!! :clap:very nice!! :D

yes, it's sometimes hard to have the time to savor the book(s). :sigh:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's lots of things that make me happy, but number one on the list has to be:

Medium-length road trips (one hour max. or else it's too boring!) with Queen on the CD or cassette player.
medium-length road trips, while listening to Queen!!! :clap: that sounds great, and very relaxing!! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a rock saw and lots of agates and jaspers. I love cutting them open and finding out what surprises are inside! Here is one I cut and polished.

View attachment 202749
you love cutting open agates and jaspers, and enjoy discovering the surprises they hold inside them!!! :thumbsup: those are just lovely!! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Craft fairs! My Mom and I have an annual one we go to thats coming up. I look forward to it like a kid at Christmas! We browse basically every booth and it's usually in 2-3 buildings. It's just neat to see the things people come up with.

One of these years I'm going to come home with a wooden cabinet. There are several vendors there every year and there is just something about hand-made furniture and decorations. My Grandpa made a lot over the years. So one day! I also get my favorite soaps there. Handmade soap feels SO nice! And my skin doesn't dry out as much with it.
craft fairs!!! :thumbsup: really very nice!! :)

ahhh, hand-made furniture and decorations! i love them too! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's my favorite Halloween movie :clap:
That was one of my mother's favorite movies along with the Ghost & Mrs. Muir. I'm not a movie person but those are two movies I watch when I see them on TV.
Ellen[/QUOTE]

The Ghost and Mrs Muir
, a truly great movie!! :agree: