Question Of The Day, Sunday, October 29, 2017

ElishaRose

♡☆
Kitten
Purraise
good morning! :wave3:

today is going to be a day of rest for me (well, we'll see...that's the plan...), so in keeping with that......

What is (/name) one thing that makes you happy? (we'll presume that our cats make us all happy)

i'll start!

going to an auction! it doesn't seem to matter what is being auctioned, and i've never bought anything at an auction, but it makes me quite happy to go to them. i enjoy the whole experience of auctions. :cloud9: i like to stroll around and look at the items, love listening to the auctioneer, and enjoy watching the bidding.

How about you?
good morning! :wave3:

today is going to be a day of rest for me (well, we'll see...that's the plan...), so in keeping with that......

What is (/name) one thing that makes you happy? (we'll presume that our cats make us all happy)

i'll start!

going to an auction! it doesn't seem to matter what is being auctioned, and i've never bought anything at an auction, but it makes me quite happy to go to them. i enjoy the whole experience of auctions. :cloud9: i like to stroll around and look at the items, love listening to the auctioneer, and enjoy watching the bidding.

How about you?
Mines pretty simple but I love swimming and a good refreshing peach ice tea :D

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
There's lots of things that make me happy, but number one on the list has to be:

Medium-length road trips (one hour max. or else it's too boring!) with Queen on the CD or cassette player.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Recipes please!!

My answer is naps- preferably with a kitty or two snuggled up with me. :cloud9:
I don't have recipes so much as I have technique. It is loosely based on my knowledge of Chinese and Korean cooking.
My staples are canola oil, Lee Kum Kee Panda brand soy sauce, sriracha, cayenne powder, and ramen noodles. I have made noodles from scratch but ramen is quick.
For soups containing meat, I always use raw with bone.
The layering directions are roughly:
1 to 2 T oil into a quart size pot(I don't actually measure).
Heat pot at high temperature, add seasonings(I picked this up watching a Korean cooking show, they seem to add the soy sauce, chili sauce, and other dry or powdered seasonings during the beginning)and stir. If using soy sauce I allow it to caramelize slightly, I learned this from a Laotian Chef.
If I am using peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes I cook them quickly and then add the meat to the top. Skin side down, braising for a few minutes and then flipping the meat and adding water, to cover, about 2 cups.
Heat to boil, then turn to simmer and cover with a lid until the meat is done.
Americans tend to overcook soup meat. Chicken can be ready in about 10 minutes, pork on the bone in about 15 to 20(depends on the rib size, I usually use ribs).
Additional veggies; kimchi, brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, bok choy greens can be added when the soup is turned back to high and the meat is removed to the serving bowl. Cook the noodles and then pour into the meat bowl. Additional garnishes can be added then; cucumbers, carrot slivers, egg, sprouts, cheese.

This one I made this afternoon; chicken wings tomato soup.
IMG_20171029_125211[1].jpg

I used leftover pizza sauce in my soup base(tomato paste+water). It makes a thicker soup and coats the noodles similar to spaghetti. I topped the noodles with aged cheddar slivers.

I don't do it often but a veggie or vegan option is possible and quicker. My favorite tomato soup is typically grape tomato.
Tomato added to a sizzling oil and cooked until soft, then gently simmered until reduced.
The quickest soup is just 1/4 cup soy sauce caramelized with 2 cups of water added and brought to a boil.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Old movies, but I do not have cable any longer for the TCM network.

Katie M Katie M , I love the old movies with Cary Grant, the one that comes dearly to mind is Arsenic and Old Lace.
I love TCM too especially around the holidays. I preferred when Robert Osbourne was the host.
Arsenic & Old Lace is one of my all time favorites! :thumbsup: There's something pixelated yet lovable about the Brewster Sisters, Abby and Martha.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Craft fairs! My Mom and I have an annual one we go to thats coming up. I look forward to it like a kid at Christmas! We browse basically every booth and it's usually in 2-3 buildings. It's just neat to see the things people come up with.

One of these years I'm going to come home with a wooden cabinet. There are several vendors there every year and there is just something about hand-made furniture and decorations. My Grandpa made a lot over the years. So one day! I also get my favorite soaps there. Handmade soap feels SO nice! And my skin doesn't dry out as much with it.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love TCM too especially around the holidays. I preferred when Robert Osbourne was the host.
Arsenic & Old Lace is one of my all time favorites! :thumbsup: There's something pixelated yet lovable about the Brewster Sisters, Abby and Martha.
Sometimes you can find the old movies on youtube for free. If the copyright has expired then they are free and anyone can do that. I even found War Babies.
My husband loves Silent films and films from the 40's. We used to watch them on Netflix too.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes you can find the old movies on youtube for free. If the copyright has expired then they are free and anyone can do that. I even found War Babies.
My husband loves Silent films and films from the 40's. We used to watch them on Netflix too.
Thanks for the tip. :) My oldest daughter also likes TCM as well as movies from the 30's and 40's. She took several film courses in college.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katie M Katie M , I love the old movies with Cary Grant, the one that comes dearly to mind is Arsenic and Old Lace.
Oh, that's my favorite Halloween movie :clap:[/QUOTE]
That was one of my mother's favorite movies along with the Ghost & Mrs. Muir. I'm not a movie person but those are two movies I watch when I see them on TV.
Ellen

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip. :) My oldest daughter also likes TCM as well as movies from the 30's and 40's. She took several film courses in college.
I don't have television at all. I paid for cable briefly but it went unused for 2 years so I dropped it.
I stream everything.
Last night we watched a Clara Bow movie, Get Your Man. Someone had videoed a reel to reel of the movie, very degraded in some spots, and had no sound track but what we watched before getting too sleep was so good.
I found a full version, without soundtrack, of Gloria Swanson Why Change Your Wife. It is a family favorite.
My Great Grandparents were in the theater business from the late 20's until the 60's. My Great Grandfather actually played the symphonic organ. He also played organ and piano in Reno, probably at Circus Circus.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Last night we watched a Clara Bow movie, Get Your Man. Someone had videoed a reel to reel of the movie, very degraded in some spots, and had no sound track but what we watched before getting too sleep was so good.
I found a full version, without soundtrack, of Gloria Swanson Why Change Your Wife. It is a family favorite.
My Great Grandparents were in the theater business from the late 20's until the 60's. My Great Grandfather actually played the symphonic organ. He also played organ and piano in Reno, probably at Circus Circus.
Ah, Clara Bow and Gloria Swanson. My daughter's favorite G.S. movie is Sunset Boulevard. Your great grandparents must have been very talented. How lovely to share that lineage. :)

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah, Clara Bow and Gloria Swanson. My daughter's favorite G.S. movie is Sunset Boulevard. Your great grandparents must have been very talented. How lovely to share that lineage. :)
My Grandmother once ran into Rita Hayworth 3 times in one day. Twice at her parent's theater and once at the racetrack.
That side of the family is full of charismatic and talented people. My Grandmother continued doing theater until the year before her death. The local theater company turned her funeral into performance art in tribute..

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My Grandmother once ran into Rita Hayworth 3 times in one day. Twice at her parent's theater and once at the racetrack.
Rita Hayworth was an amazing dancer and absolutely gorgeous even if she wasn't a natural redhead. ;) She was also an excellent actress of film noir.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: I have to agree with that! My second best thing? A good long walk!
ahhh, reading!!! :) and a good long walk!! :thumbsup: most excellent!

i used to love walking on wooded trails, or 'off trail'. now that there are ticks up here, that's taken the enjoyment out of it for me. and my feet really can't handle walking longer distances either. :sigh: i might enjoy walking on sand though, like at a beach. as long as the temperature isn't too hot.