Question Of The Day, Sunday, June 4, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw a huge display of Great Grains in the grocery store yesterday, and there were several new varieties. Unfortunately, I don't remember what they were, but the cereal must be selling well if it branched out with new ones. It really is good, and the only cereal I eat anymore.
that's really good news!!! :biggrin:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jcat jcat , i found what looks like a really good (and easy enough) recipe for home made grapenuts cereal online -- Homemade Grape Nuts ......i just might make some for myself! :yummy:

note that the blog entry says that using whole wheat flour (instead of the sprouted whole wheat pastry flour) worked just fine.
i made a batch of the homemade grape nuts cereal yesterday. it tastes just like (the store bought) grape nuts! i used wheat flour, instead of the sprouted whole wheat pastry flour. the recipe does take quite a bit of time to make, but it doesn't require you to do much during that time. so i did things like washing the dishes and scooping the litter boxes and etc, and came back to the cereal making process here and there during those. i'll be making homemade grape nuts on a regular basis now, along with the granola i make.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another oatmeal fan here. I prefer the long cooking unprocessed kind but fast is good too. If I'm doing it from scratch, I cook it in milk, use a bit of (real) maple syrup to sweeten it and toss in whatever fruit we have on hand; blueberries being our favorite.
I also like cold cereals - plain, no or low sugar. Cheerios is my standby - I'll even eat it as a snack. For a sweet one, we like Kellog's Special K"Red Berries" which is rice/wheat flakes with dehydrated strawberries. The milk gets oh so yummy from it!
oatmeal, cooked in milk, and sweetened with real maple syrup :cloud9: and fruit!!! :thumbsup: blueberries......:yummy:

and Special K with Red Berries sounds quite good...especially that part about the milk getting 'oh so yummy' from the dehydrated strawberries! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apple Jacks and Cinnamon Toast Crunch
Oatmeal with raisins brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon.
mmmmm......Apple Jacks!!! :clap: i've never tried Cinnamon Toast Crunch :dunno: , though it does sound like it would taste really good.

and oatmeal, with raisins, brown sugar, and cinnamon! :yummy: i just love oatmeal...

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I really like Trader Joe's Maple Pecan Granola cereal. There's a Chocolate Almond Granola cereal, too, but I find it a bit too sweet and mostly powder. I also like the Despicable Me Minion Made cereal with marshmallows :paperbag: In the winter I'll have a bowl of instant oatmea, usually a Quaker flavored one.
oh my! Maple Pecan Granola!!! :cloud9:

yummmmm......

and oatmeal!!! :clap:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to eat plain, bite-sized shredded wheat for breakfast, spruced up with whatever tickles my fancy that day.

I used to like Cracklin' Oat Bran as a snack, but unfortunately, their advertising slogan that 'an open box is an empty box' proved to be all too true in my case. Now Froot Loops are my guilty indulgence.
yes! bite-sized Shredded Wheat!!! :thumbsup: i love those, prefer them over the frosted mini wheats.

and Fruit Loops...yummmm!! :D

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
corn pops and peanut butter cap'n crunch!! :thumbsup: that's a very interesting combination for hot cereal...:think:

wait......there's a peanut butter cap'n crunch??? i feel like i've missed something big here...:paperbag: that's got to be an incredibly tasty cereal! :agree:
Peanut butter Cap'n Crunch has been around forever. I remember it when I was a kid in the 70's. It is by far (IMO) the best one they make. It is SO good. You must try it. :yummy:

Now I want some. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peanut butter Cap'n Crunch has been around forever. I remember it when I was a kid in the 70's. It is by far (IMO) the best one they make. It is SO good. You must try it. :yummy:

Now I want some. :agree:
hmmm......it must have 'slipped past my (cereal) radar'. it certainly does sound like it would taste really good!! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now my cereal supply includes Froot Loops and Boo Berry. I don't eat it for breakfast. It's more of a snack type thing. I don't like oatmeal. It's a textural thing. I do like Cream of Wheat with milk and sugar and I also like Wheatena with milk and sugar but haven't had any in a LONG time. I do have a box of Wheatena in the pantry. Maybe I should make some one of these days. :think:
ahhh, Froot Loops and Boo Berry!!! :thumbsup: very nice!

Cream of Wheat!! :cloud9: i absolutely adore it!

i pretty much only have oatmeal, cream of wheat when it's chilly or cold temperatures -- or if it's really damp, like rainy. i wouldn't think you get that there very often, in The Sunshine State.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to make oatmeal with raisins cooked in it. . .the raisins have to be cooked with the oats so they're plump and squishy. I don't like having wrinkly chewy raisins in my oatmeal. I also add some cinnamon and sugar or honey and some milk or cream. But I don't usually eat it for breakfast because who has time to make breakfast, lol. I like grits with cheese and garlic but that, too, is not breakfast because it takes too long.

I don't really eat cold cereal. I like Special K red berries but eating cold cereal for breakfast takes too long, also, I rarely have milk in the house.
oatmeal with raisins cooked in it, so they get plump and squishy!!! :clap: and some cinnamon, sugar/honey, and milk/cream added. most excellent! :D

i like grits too! :agree:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i like grits too! :agree:
I only like grits with cheese and garlic salt, hot sauce, whatever---savory. I'm told that some people like their grits sweet. Which doesn't sound appetizing to me at all :barfgreen:. But who knows, maybe it's like McGriddles and tastes better than it sounds, lol.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I don't eat cereals much but if I do it's steel cut oatmeal packs with berries. I add raisins and bananas.

boxed cereals are all good. I prefer that for evening meal-cereal doesn't fill me up and it's not unusual for me to eat the entire box in a couple of sittings..peanut butter captain crunch is the bomb. So is cinnamon crunch. the milk tastes so good after. I used to love lucky charms-I would pick out the marshmallows and eat them up. There used to be a cereal in the 1980s called powder donut cereal...never seen it again..that's my fav. Next is frosted miniwheats. Then granola.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
jcat jcat , i found what looks like a really good (and easy enough) recipe for home made grapenuts cereal online -- Homemade Grape Nuts ......i just might make some for myself! :yummy:

note that the blog entry says that using whole wheat flour (instead of the sprouted whole wheat pastry flour) worked just fine.
Thank you! Whole wheat flour would be a lot easier; I think I'll try that.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wait......there's a peanut butter cap'n crunch??? i feel like i've missed something big here...:paperbag: that's got to be an incredibly tasty cereal! :agree:
Oh, sweetie! You *have* missed something big, and I strongly encourage you to treat yourself to a box as soon as possible! Just wait until you're alone to eat it so you won't have to share. :lol:

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love breakfast cereal but never eat it anymore because there's too much sugar/carbs and not enough protein. I've been trying to lose the last 10 lbs of baby weight for the past 10 years... :flail:

My favorites are Special K, Cheerios (regular and Multi-Grain), Raisin Bran, Frosted Flakes, Corn Flakes... OK, I'll eat pretty much any except the super-sugary kid ones. Unless it's Super Sugar Crisp, or Cap'n Crunch - I love those! :crackup:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only like grits with cheese and garlic salt, hot sauce, whatever---savory. I'm told that some people like their grits sweet. Which doesn't sound appetizing to me at all :barfgreen:. But who knows, maybe it's like McGriddles and tastes better than it sounds, lol.
i've never tried grits sweet, just never even thought about it. :dunno:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here. We mostly just use bacon and/or bacon grease, or butter. But I might try some cane syrup some time out of curiosity, probably with a slice or two of salt pork. :wink:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried them sweet either. I just use butter and salt in mine. When I was working there was a buffet restaurant near my office and they had the best grits and hash browns. I would get them almost every morning. That's why I'm so fat.

Muffy

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried them sweet either. I just use butter and salt in mine. When I was working there was a buffet restaurant near my office and they had the best grits and hash browns. I would get them almost every morning. That's why I'm so fat.

Muffy
Oh, gosh. Now that you mention it...

There was a little restaurant in the building where I used to work that served grits with the most wonderful sausage gravy. I can't tell you how many mornings I'd go in early just so I could get my fix, or how many pounds I gained. Guess it's a good thing I changed career fields and our office was across the street from a gym! :lol: