Question Of The Day, Sunday, February 4, 2018

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :wave3:

yesterday afternoon i watched a tv show, History Detectives: Special Investigations. there were only 4 episodes available via amazon instant video. i really enjoy history, so i enjoyed the tv show very much. after i'd finished watching the last episode, i thought to myself, why do so many of 'the good shows' either end after the first season, or only have a few episodes?

so for today's Question of the Day......

What tv show(s) would you like to have been continued, that were not renewed/canceled?

i'll start!

well, i would like to have more episodes/seasons of History Detectives: Special Investigations. this show did follow another show though, which was History Detectives, that ran from 2003-2013. so there's hope that i'll come across what looks like 10 seasons of the other show! :crossfingers:

another tv show i'd really like to have continued was Whitechapel. there were only 4 seasons of this show. :sigh:

and The Bletchley Circle, that was an excellent tv show, but only had two seasons/series. however, (US streaming service) Britbox is to put out a new related series, The Bletchley Circle: San Francisco sometime in 2018. :woo:

okay, now it's your turn!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mad Men comes to mind. A lot of the old shows, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, All in The Family and The Golden Girls.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Moonlight with Alex O'Laughlin. It started on CBS before all the supernatural/vampire, etc stuff was popular. And it lasted only one season. The show was fairly good, but CBS didn't give it much of a chance at all. Now, we have Supernatural and Lucifer and all those kind of shows. (I have to admit that I didn't watch it on CBS; I found it during a mini-marathon on Sy-Fy one time. I have it on DVD.)

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom , Whitechapel was good, wasn't it.

Carnivàle was on the brink of brilliance when they severed it after 2 series, most disappointing. :sigh:

Deadwood also left me feeling like I'd wasted my life, as it was most enjoyable but left me feeling deeply empty at its abrupt curtailment.

Then, of course, there's Firefly, which only managed one series yet was the highest rated sci-fi program of all time.

I feel uneasy about watching new series until they've run a few seasons as I can't bear the feeling of lingering dissatisfaction when something good is cut off in its prime.

:crash:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good question! I'm sure there's more, but off the top of my head there's Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Joan of Arcadia. Both shows only ran 2 seasons, and both had cliffhanger-y final episodes that left you wanting to know what was going to happen next.

Brian007 Brian007 I was a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer and to a lesser degree Angel (the show) fan, but just couldn't get into Firefly.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I didn't get into Firefly either! I couldn't get passed the 1st 30 minutes, haha! However, it's still the highest rated sci-fi tv show, so someone obviously liked it....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I know.....I'm guilty. :paperbag: And that's why some of the shows were cancelled. Because of people like me.

It's so much easier to watch it once it comes out on DVD. No commercials, no waiting for the next episode.

And yeah, I really did like Firefly. :paperbag:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if these shows were cancelled or we can't get them in the U.S. but I loved many of the BBC comedies such as: The Vicar of Dibley, Keeping Up Appearances, Vicious, Are You Being Served? and Coupling. (We have the box set of Fawlty Towers.)

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
neely neely I think these series simply ran their course, rather than being cancelled. The Vicar of Dibley still pops up for 'specials' now and then (the last was 2015). However, the three key oldies have either died or developed dementia recently, so I can't see them making any more.

I recently discovered 'Fresh Meat', which is a total guilty pleasure about a group of university freshers and follows them through their 3 years study, set over four series. You might enjoy it. 'The Inbetweeners' too, which is about a group of high school boys through their 4 years at school (and then there's a movie set just after they leave school). Now, I'm a 43 year old female and have finally had to admit that I've still got the sense of humour of a teenage boy!

:crackup:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if these shows were cancelled or we can't get them in the U.S. but I loved many of the BBC comedies such as: The Vicar of Dibley, Keeping Up Appearances, Vicious, Are You Being Served? and Coupling. (We have the box set of Fawlty Towers.)
I love the British comedies, The Vicar of Dibley, Vicious, and my favorite As Time Goes By. I also like Pie In The Sky and Doc Martin. I don't know what happened to Vicious. I loved that show but it disappeared after a few shows.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
- Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. At least there is a movie in the works, but still!

And apparently there is going to be a prequel series based on her younger years, which I am apprehensive about. Kind of out of place/unnecessary and sort of hard to lose so many amazing characters and actors. But who knows?

- Ghost Hunters International. It combined everything I liked - history, travelling, amazing, creepy and fascinating locations and the paranormal. :sigh: I thought it was well done and interesting, and fairly professional compared to a lot other ghost hunting shows.

- Emerald City. Nooooooo! I reckon people were already put off at having another Oz spin off, which I get. It happens a lot these days with so many other stories (Totally burnt out for example, of anything to do with Alice in Wonderland) But I was enjoying it nevertheless in this case, probably because I was never a huge fan of the original nor dabbled in other versions.

- Miranda. So funny and relatable. Can understand perhaps wanting to end it on a high note and on her own terms, but still, I feel it could have gone on a wee bit longer, and mayhaps not just end it with the typical storyline of main-female-character-gets-married-the-end? Even though it was nice and all.

- Rosemary and Thyme.

- A more typical one, Firefly.

- America's Most Wanted

- Once Upon a time. Not technically cancelled or anything, it is still on albeit in a new phase in it's storytelling. It's just that it lost the charm and quality of it's earlier seasons (which were great) then went down. I hadn't even tried the new version after the last final episode of the season, which was a huge let down for a variety of reasons. So I really just miss it's golden years. I think it was for sure one of those shows that could have finished at fewer seasons to retain the original quality.

Last I heard Father Brown is still up in there air in terms of finding out whether it is coming back or not!

And on behalf of my friend, a nod to Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
neely neely I recently discovered 'Fresh Meat', which is a total guilty pleasure about a group of university freshers and follows them through their 3 years study, set over four series. You might enjoy it. 'The Inbetweeners' too, which is about a group of high school boys through their 4 years at school (and then there's a movie set just after they leave school).
Thanks! :thumbsup: I will try to check them out and see if I can watch them.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have to say Mad Men. Because the writers set the series in 1960 it could have gone on and on.

Also Law and Order and Law and Order Criminal Intent.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss Foyle's War. It was abruptly ended before they had gotten through WWII, and it could have run for several more seasons. It was good drama and the historical accuracy was fascinating, showing a lot we didn't know about the war.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firefly and Terra Nova are the first to come to mind. I was just getting into The Gates when it quit. Left it wide open too. And a possible cancel, since I haven't heard anything at all about a new season is Cleverman.

I'm going to add, that even though it's still currently running, if they cancel Lucifer I'm going to cry. Then throw things, then cry some more.