Question Of The Day, Sunday, December 3, 2017

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The last thing I bought was heavy duty grinding wheels for my Dremel. I guess that would be considered an accessorie though so, I think a hammer. My last major purchase would have to be my 25 ton wood splitter! oof, oof, oof! :lol:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, this is going to make me sound so lazy, and well basically I am. I bought a hammer, tape measure, and screw driver. I already have those, but I use those three things more than anything else and I got tired of walking upstairs to my toolbx to get them. So I bought a second set to keep downstairs so they would be handy and I don't have to keep going back and forth up and down the stairs wondering where my tools are.
Actually, that just sounds sensible to me.

Margret

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Well, that was lucky! Congratulations!
I know, right? Someone else had taken it but when it was my turn to pick a white elephant gift I stole it from them. Fortunately no one stole it from me. :nono: I love picking practical gifts that I can actually use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought a new peeler for carrots, potatos, apples etc! For cooking, I love peeling off the skin of fruits and vegetables without cutting myself, haha :lol:. I bought it at a local kitchen supply store. It has a shiny silver surface (of course not real silver plated) and fits in nicely with my other kitchen gear :)
a new peeler, a kitchen tool!!! :clap: that sounds very nice!! :D

i have a couple peelers here. these days, most times i'll use a knife to peel things. :dunno: i especially like to peel apples, to see how far i can peel before it breaks off -- you know, trying to peel the whole apple with the peel in one long piece. :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last tool I brought was a vegetable peeler. It is one that I brought at BJ's and it works very nicely.
a vegetable peeler, from BJ's!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!!

as far as kitchen tools, the last i bought was a set of stainless steel measuring cups and spoons :cloud9:. i have the remains of a few sets of kitchenaid plastic measuring cups, but some have the handles of the measuring cups broken off and most of the print on them as to what measurement it is...is worn off too. so i bought stainless steel this time, and the measurement amount is indented into the handles. i looked long and hard at sets, and found a good set at a reasonable price (i didn't want to spend 30-something dollars on a set :nono:). i absolutely love them!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In many cases, the mixture is too hot for many spoons. Many melt while others get too hot. Wood doesn't absorb as much heat so your hand doesn't burn. The wooden spoons are usually sturdier also and will handle a heavy mixture without bending or breaking.

I told my hubby to use a wooden spoon on something but he knew better and used a silicon one. It melted. I was wicked and said, "I told you so!" He has a bad habit of thinking he knows better ways to do things in the kitchen. He's very, very wrong!
thank you! that makes sense. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My last power tool purchase was a cordless drill, which I've yet to use.
And my last kitchen tool is a new blender, which I've already used a few times.
a cordless drill!!! :clap: awesome!!

and a new blender for your last kitchen tool!! :jump: that sounds wonderful! :) i don't use my blender frequently, but the things i do use it for take a while to get done. like making sports drink powders, and blending until smooth several batches of apple butter.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my most recent tool purchase was a new Swiss Army pocket knife, with the really good scissors (the kind where the spring is integral rather than that separate piece that always breaks) and a pair of nail clippers.

It used to be that Wenger (the other official Swiss army knife company) was the only company that made their knives with the really good scissor spring, but they were recently bought out by Victorinox, which now owns their plant and probably their patents (the only reason I can see that they didn't start making knives with good springs decades ago is that they didn't have the right to).

I've lost my good vise grips, two pairs. :argh: It looks like I'll be buying some more of those soon, as well.

Margret
ahhh, a new Swiss Army pocket knife, with the really good scissors and a pair of nail clippers!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

oh no! you've lost two pairs of vise grips. :ruminating: maybe it was @Mother Dragon 's Harrigan, maybe he's been visiting you...? i recently misplaced my potato masher, can't find it anywhere. :sigh: looks like i'll be buying another one. it's particularly annoying to me, because everything has it's own place in my house (...and everything is (supposed to be) in it's place).

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, no recent tool purchases that I can think of. The last tools I bought were a DeWalt Drill and JigSaw a couple of Christmasses ago. Thus far I've made a ottoman/footstool, a foldaway sewing table, and my kitty's window perch. Oh, and a compost bin, and a trellis frame for the cucumbers I grew this summer. For a short while I entertained the idea of making a cat tree, but I concluded that they're so much easier to buy than make, haha!
no recent tool purchases, but the last tools you bought were a DeWalt Drill and JigSaw!!! :thumbsup: those sound awesome!! :agree:

and you've been very productive too, in using those tools! great!! :yess:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't bought any power tools lately, but I did buy some new rubber spatulas yesterday.
A packrat got into the house and before we could kill it, it chewed every rubber spatula it could find.
new rubber spatulas, which you bought yesterday!!! :cloud9: really very nice!! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My late DH was a tool junkie so I doubt I'll ever need to buy any. The last thing I bought for the kitchen was a set of wooden spoons.
so, you're pretty much 'set for life' with tools!! :cloud9:

a set of wooden spoons , for your kitchen!!! :clap: really great!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bread pans for kitchen, but really everything in my kitchen is quite recent as I moved, still missing many important bits.

I have lot of other tools, but bit time since I bought them, chain quick link opening pliers probably were last tool I bought. Bike cleaning brush could be last tool if that counts as a tool.
bread pans for your kitchen!!! :cloud9: that sounds awesome! :)

chain link opening pliers, and a bike cleaning brush!! :thumbsup: yes, i'd count the bike cleaning brush as a tool. :agree:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ahhh, a new Swiss Army pocket knife, with the really good scissors and a pair of nail clippers!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

oh no! you've lost two pairs of vise grips. :ruminating: maybe it was @Mother Dragon 's Harrigan, maybe he's been visiting you...? i recently misplaced my potato masher, can't find it anywhere. :sigh: looks like i'll be buying another one. it's particularly annoying to me, because everything has it's own place in my house (...and everything is (supposed to be) in it's place).
Now that you mention it, I can't find my potato masher either. I went to use it on Thanksgiving and it was MIA. Why does Harrigan need two of them? :think: :lol:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that you mention it, I can't find my potato masher either. I went to use it on Thanksgiving and it was MIA. Why does Harrigan need two of them? :think: :lol:
Harrigan must be out visiting, collecting things. oh, i don't think he necessarily needs anything he might swipe. well......:ruminating:......he might be planning on bringing them back home to @Mother Dragon 's, then to use them to create some sort of humorous (only to him) drama. like if suddenly there were 6 or more potato mashers in the drawer at home.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I was all set up with all the tools in the same place (not counting my pocket knife, of course, which stays in my pocket), but it seems I was mistaken. I had two small pairs (to fit my small hands), one standard, one needle nose, and they're both gone, and I just know that they'll show up again as soon as I replace them.

I may actually be forced to clean house in the hopes of finding them...

Margret

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My late DH was a tool junkie so I doubt I'll ever need to buy any. The last thing I bought for the kitchen was a set of wooden spoons.
Ditto with the tools. I think my hubby has every tool known to man. :lol: I just bought a pastry blender--you know, for cutting butter into flour. I also got an Instant Pot which I'm going to try for the first time this morning. :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I was all set up with all the tools in the same place (not counting my pocket knife, of course, which stays in my pocket), but it seems I was mistaken. I had two small pairs (to fit my small hands), one standard, one needle nose, and they're both gone, and I just know that they'll show up again as soon as I replace them.

I may actually be forced to clean house in the hopes of finding them...

Margret
yup, that's what usually happens here too -- the missing item(s) turn up as soon as i've replaced them. :agree:

i still haven't found the (potato) masher. and i actually won't mind if it shows up again after i've bought a new one.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto with the tools. I think my hubby has every tool known to man. :lol: I just bought a pastry blender--you know, for cutting butter into flour. I also got an Instant Pot which I'm going to try for the first time this morning. :)
ahhh, a pastry blender!!! :cloud9: and an Instant Pot! :thumbsup: the stuff my dreams are made of! :redheartpump:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last thing I bought was heavy duty grinding wheels for my Dremel. I guess that would be considered an accessorie though so, I think a hammer. My last major purchase would have to be my 25 ton wood splitter! oof, oof, oof! :lol:
heavy duty grinding wheels for your Dremel, a hammer, and......a 25 ton wood splitter!!! :thud: *hears the Angels sing* a wood splitter!!! :clap: most excellent!!

i've dreamed of a wood splitter. of course, where i live now, i don't have wooded land so no real need for a wood splitter. :sniffle: