Question Of The Day, Sunday, December 3, 2017

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :hellocomputer:

recently, i replaced some tools that had worn down or broken. i do love just even looking at tools and hardware items. :D

so for today's Question of the Day......

What was the most recent tool that you bought? (can be a hand tool(s), or power tool(s)......or even kitchen tools :))

i'll start!

my most recent tool purchase was a 50-piece drill bit set, and an 11-in-1 multi-tip screwdriver with square drive bits (2 pack) -- and an aluminum snow shovel in that order too.

i have two drill bit sets, both of which have had the smaller/thinner drill bits snap/break eventually. :sigh: one of those sets is even titanium! so while i was browsing around the home depot website looking at drill bits and bit sets, i came across that 50-piece set. the great thing about the set is that you get 4 each of the smaller/thinner bits. the bigger/thicker drill bits never seem to break. and the cost was really good at $14.88 -- and is Ryobi brand too. although, if/when the thinner bits in this set break, i'll likely just buy several of those instead of buying a new set.

the multi-tip screwdrivers are to replace the phillips and flathead regular/hand screwdrivers i have, which the tips have worn down over 6+ years to the point that they are no longer of use. :disappointed:

okay, now it's your turn!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My latest was a small angle grinder. I laid a small patio in my garden and some of the slabs needed to be cut. I was a bit nervous the first time I used it but ok now. Have used it several times so has turned put to be a useful purchase.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well, you know my tools are kitchen tools! I recently bought some very nice spatulas and some new wooden spoons. I went up to a local kitchen store in our area and bought two Rada paring knives. I love Rada; they're made in America and they last a long time, as long as I don't put them in the dishwasher.

Rick hasn't bought any tools in a while, so I have nothing to say there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My latest was a small angle grinder. I laid a small patio in my garden and some of the slabs needed to be cut. I was a bit nervous the first time I used it but ok now. Have used it several times so has turned put to be a useful purchase.
a small angle grinder!!! :clap: very nice!! :D and great that it's been a useful purchase for you too!

i can understand being a bit nervous the first time using the angle grinder! i felt that way the first time i used my circular saw. :agree: my last new power tool was an orbit sander. i was a bit......tentative when using it for the first time, but quickly became comfortable with it.

Aruna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just bought a new peeler for carrots, potatos, apples etc! For cooking, I love peeling off the skin of fruits and vegetables without cutting myself, haha :lol:. I bought it at a local kitchen supply store. It has a shiny silver surface (of course not real silver plated) and fits in nicely with my other kitchen gear :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you know my tools are kitchen tools! I recently bought some very nice spatulas and some new wooden spoons. I went up to a local kitchen store in our area and bought two Rada paring knives. I love Rada; they're made in America and they last a long time, as long as I don't put them in the dishwasher.

Rick hasn't bought any tools in a while, so I have nothing to say there.
ahhh, kitchen tools! i love those almost as much as power tools. :)

some new spatulas, and some new wooden spoons!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! i do love my silicone spatulas -- an ongoing love affair! are your new spatulas silicone?

and new Rada paring knives too!! :woohoo: great!

maybe you'll know why, but i've always wondered why some recipes call for using wooden spoons. i've read certain recipes that have been based on older recipes, and the older recipes call for using a wooden spoon. the newer recipes haven't called for using a wooden spoon, and i remember reading a brief discussion in the comments section of one where no one (including the new recipe developer) knew why a wooden spoon was specified. could it have something to do with something like a stainless steel spoon could have a 'reaction' to some ingredient(s) or such? or maybe in 'the olden days' spoons weren't stainless, maybe had some other metals mixed in them...?

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
ahhh, kitchen tools! i love those almost as much as power tools. :)

some new spatulas, and some new wooden spoons!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! i do love my silicone spatulas -- an ongoing love affair! are your new spatulas silicone?

and new Rada paring knives too!! :woohoo: great!

maybe you'll know why, but i've always wondered why some recipes call for using wooden spoons. i've read certain recipes that have been based on older recipes, and the older recipes call for using a wooden spoon. the newer recipes haven't called for using a wooden spoon, and i remember reading a brief discussion in the comments section of one where no one (including the new recipe developer) knew why a wooden spoon was specified. could it have something to do with something like a stainless steel spoon could have a 'reaction' to some ingredient(s) or such? or maybe in 'the olden days' spoons weren't stainless, maybe had some other metals mixed in them...?
In many cases, the mixture is too hot for many spoons. Many melt while others get too hot. Wood doesn't absorb as much heat so your hand doesn't burn. The wooden spoons are usually sturdier also and will handle a heavy mixture without bending or breaking.

I told my hubby to use a wooden spoon on something but he knew better and used a silicon one. It melted. I was wicked and said, "I told you so!" He has a bad habit of thinking he knows better ways to do things in the kitchen. He's very, very wrong!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My last power tool purchase was a cordless drill, which I've yet to use.
And my last kitchen tool is a new blender, which I've already used a few times.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my most recent tool purchase was a new Swiss Army pocket knife, with the really good scissors (the kind where the spring is integral rather than that separate piece that always breaks) and a pair of nail clippers.

It used to be that Wenger (the other official Swiss army knife company) was the only company that made their knives with the really good scissor spring, but they were recently bought out by Victorinox, which now owns their plant and probably their patents (the only reason I can see that they didn't start making knives with good springs decades ago is that they didn't have the right to).

I've lost my good vise grips, two pairs. :argh: It looks like I'll be buying some more of those soon, as well.

Margret

mannie3moon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm, no recent tool purchases that I can think of. The last tools I bought were a DeWalt Drill and JigSaw a couple of Christmasses ago. Thus far I've made a ottoman/footstool, a foldaway sewing table, and my kitty's window perch. Oh, and a compost bin, and a trellis frame for the cucumbers I grew this summer. For a short while I entertained the idea of making a cat tree, but I concluded that they're so much easier to buy than make, haha!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't bought any power tools lately, but I did buy some new rubber spatulas yesterday.
A packrat got into the house and before we could kill it, it chewed every rubber spatula it could find.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bread pans for kitchen, but really everything in my kitchen is quite recent as I moved, still missing many important bits.

I have lot of other tools, but bit time since I bought them, chain quick link opening pliers probably were last tool I bought. Bike cleaning brush could be last tool if that counts as a tool.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The last tool I bought was a new pair of flush cutters (pliers for cutting fine wire ;) ) for jewellery making. I have three other pairs, but I seem to blunt them fairly fast - I tend to need a new pair every 18 months or so :ohwell: I've almost bought metal stamping tools/stamps etc a few times recently, but haven't yet taken the plunge :smash:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We went to a holiday White Elephant party today and even though I didn't buy it I walked away with a kitchen tool I really wanted - a coffee grinder.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, this is going to make me sound so lazy, and well basically I am. I bought a hammer, tape measure, and screw driver. I already have those, but I use those three things more than anything else and I got tired of walking upstairs to my toolbx to get them. So I bought a second set to keep downstairs so they would be handy and I don't have to keep going back and forth up and down the stairs wondering where my tools are.