Question of the day - Sunday 6 February

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't call Germany secular. Many people pay not only income tax but an income-related Church tax but this can only go to either the Catholic or Protestant Church. There are many religious holidays in Germany, some Catholic, some Protestant. Bavaria has the most. But other religions are still being ignored.
The reason for everything being closed on a Sunday is probably because the unions are strictly against longer hours. There is also a general feeling that there should be at least one day a week when the family can be together - at least in theory.
I believe that is the the way it was here in the U.S. up to the 1960's. With regard to businesses bring closed on Sundays.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't call Germany secular. Many people pay not only income tax but an income-related Church tax but this can only go to either the Catholic or Protestant Church. There are many religious holidays in Germany, some Catholic, some Protestant. Bavaria has the most. But other religions are still being ignored.
The reason for everything being closed on a Sunday is probably because the unions are strictly against longer hours. There is also a general feeling that there should be at least one day a week when the family can be together - at least in theory.
Well, more secular than the US, at least nominally. And it seems to vary by state, also like in the US.
Irreligion in Germany - Wikipedia

There probably are a lot of people who just like the peace and quiet though!
I believe that is the the way it was here in the U.S. up to the 1960's. With regard to businesses bring closed on Sundays.
Later than that in some places, I think. They didn't make Sunday liquor sales fully legal in this state until 2010 (in 1989 they legalized it so each county and municipality was allowed to decide). And when we moved here (1995) most of the stores were closed on Sundays, but once the big box stores started moving in and staying open, the other stores had to keep up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, more secular than the US, at least nominally. And it seems to vary by state, also like in the US.
Irreligion in Germany - Wikipedia
Germany is complicated: on the one hand most people here are not particularly religious. But Christian officials (both Roman Catholic and Protestant) are supported with tax-payers money (not just with Church taxes) and have some political influence. Religion (Catholic and Protestant) is still taught in schools. Everyone baptised automatically has to pay a Church tax once they start earning money. Many young people leave the Church as soon as they've got married in a Church, others even sooner. At present there are waiting lists to get an appointment to leave the Catholic Church because of the latest scandals.
Many people who pay Church taxes believe that everyone should pay a similar tax - the money going to help other religions or to charities. But, things take a long time to change in Germany. Personally, I would stop all Church public holidays (apart from Christmas and Easter) before trying to make Sundays just another shopping day. Aside from lonely old ladies, hardly anybody goes to Church regularly these days. Churches are closing down so you need a car to get to whichever Church is holding a service on a particular Sunday).
I do like the peace and quiet but sometimes I wish I could mow the lawn when Sunday is the first dry day after a week of rain! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But Christian officials (both Roman Catholic and Protestant) are supported with tax-payers money (not just with Church taxes)
That's interesting! From what I was reading, it sounded like all churches are given a choice to have their members taxed or not, and those are the only 2 churches that chose yes. So basically it's state-enforced donating/tithing (probably not 10% though!) which isn't great but if church membership can be changed it isn't the worst thing either. But I know that how things look on paper are often different than how it really works. Thanks for the explanation.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember the most potent beer I got in Germany was a double bock beer at a monastery. I remember buying a really nice souvenir mug with the first one then they would refill that at a reduced cost, I didn't get to the refill. That was really potent and was really dark, almost black.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a retirement community in southwest U.S. On Sunday there is no staff that drives our bus so there is no shopping or social trips, not even for going to church. Of course those who drive go to church and other activities. My day consists of having brunch, which is brought to our apartment because of short staffing, playing Scrabble with a group of other residents, sometimes laundry, taking my kitty out on her harness if the weather is warm, reading a good book, and playing games on TCS.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a retirement community in southwest U.S. On Sunday there is no staff that drives our bus so there is no shopping or social trips, not even for going to church. Of course those who drive go to church and other activities. My day consists of having brunch, which is brought to our apartment because of short staffing, playing Scrabble with a group of other residents, sometimes laundry, taking my kitty out on her harness if the weather is warm, reading a good book, and playing games on TCS.
That seems strange that the Retirement Community wouldn't make a effort to provide some off site excursions. It's good that you have at least this site as a partial escape. I share two cars with my wife. I do very little on site shopping in my community though. With Covid19 lingering I do alot of online shopping.

Last edited:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that I was more social prior to Covid19. Now that I'm retired. I tend to be more of a homebody. I used to be a Church goer, but Covid19 situation changed that. I'm not a fan of being in crowded places since Covid19 is still lingering. I still were a mask in crowed places. Now I have quality time to devote to my 2 cats. My wife still is working, so our out of town travel is still limited. The weather hasn't been very cooperative this winter season either. Mostly below freezing temperatures for the past month.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Germany is complicated: on the one hand most people here are not particularly religious. But Christian officials (both Roman Catholic and Protestant) are supported with tax-payers money (not just with Church taxes) and have some political influence. Religion (Catholic and Protestant) is still taught in schools. Everyone baptised automatically has to pay a Church tax once they start earning money. Many young people leave the Church as soon as they've got married in a Church, others even sooner. At present there are waiting lists to get an appointment to leave the Catholic Church because of the latest scandals.
Many people who pay Church taxes believe that everyone should pay a similar tax - the money going to help other religions or to charities. But, things take a long time to change in Germany. Personally, I would stop all Church public holidays (apart from Christmas and Easter) before trying to make Sundays just another shopping day. Aside from lonely old ladies, hardly anybody goes to Church regularly these days. Churches are closing down so you need a car to get to whichever Church is holding a service on a particular Sunday).
I do like the peace and quiet but sometimes I wish I could mow the lawn when Sunday is the first dry day after a week of rain! :)
Perhaps those are some of the reasons that many of my ancestors emigrated from Germany to the U.S.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't attend Sunday Mass any longer because of my condition. My church was closed due to COVID but is now open again.

I like to relax on Sunday.
I attended Christmas Midnight Mass in 2021. Maybe I'll get to Easter. Alot depends on the Covid19 situation.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That seems strange that the Retirement Community wouldn't make a effort to provide some off site excursions. It's good that you have at least this site as a partial escape. I share two cars with my wife. I do very little on site shopping in my community though. With Covid19 lingering I do alot of online shopping.
We do have excursions on weekdays just not on Sunday.
I can go places with friends who drive but it's risky with the pandemics. The percentage of cases in my county is 30% so we are not doing any outside socializing, restaurants etc.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Sundays are just another day here. Rick stopped going to church quite some time ago; he's thought about going back, but not with Covid.

I used to try to make a nicer meal on Sundays, maybe a roast with mashed potatoes, gravy, etc. And a nice dessert. That was from my grandmother and she'd have a fit if she knew I was no longer doing it.

We're retired, so the days just seem to roll into each other. We do try to stay out of stores on weekends and do any shopping early in the morning on a weekday.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many people pay not only income tax but an income-related Church tax but this can only go to either the Catholic or Protestant Church.
I'm confused. Is this mandatory? What if you're agnostic or atheist? Do you still have to pay the church? Are those the only two religions you're allowed to be?