Question of the day - Sunday 6 February

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning everybody,
greetings from Germany on this wet and windy morning!

I've taken over this Sunday slot as I have a few interesting questions for you - and some perhaps not quite so interesting ;).

My four cats have decided today's question doesn't concern them, so have thankfully left me to make my own typing errors!

Here Sunday is still a day of rest! Most people do not have to work. No shops are open unless they have obtained special permission, no cleaning your car, unless you can do it out of sight of the neighbours, no mowing lawns and, particularly if you live in an apartment, no hammering and banging! So compared with the other 6 days of the week, a Sunday is exceptionally quiet (apart from joyriders on motorbikes and other loud vehicles on the road!). When I was growing up in England, the Sunday Roast at lunchtime was a must! But, I don't care for that now and I don't think that German families ever had such a tradition.

What does "Sunday" mean in your part of the world - simply the second half of the weekend? Or perhaps, for religious or other reasons, there is a different day of the week when life is "different".
Do you like Sundays? I'd like to know!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sunday for us is church and relaxing family time. We do have some shopping usually though. Before covid came it was often the only time DH and I were in the right town where the shops and mall were nearby. Now we attend a church close to home so usually we schedule our grocery pickup for the hour after church gets out. And then we relax at home. I generally don’t cook on the weekends; but DH and I will have egg sandwiches after church.

As for everyone one else; its definitely not a day of rest. Growing up we had Sunday dinner at my grandparents after church (Gram often made a roast). Here everyone is on the go. People eat out or do their shopping/recreational activities. I think Chick-Fil-A is the only “closed on Sunday” place around here.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a kid, Sunday was anything but a day of rest. Yes, there was church, but before that the cows had to be milked and turned out on the pasture, the chickens fed and eggs gathered, and after church and dinner, the cow barn needed cleaning, and during hay season, we had to 'make hay while the sun shines', regardless what day it was. Now, since Michele and I are both retired, Sunday is just another day, and most businesses are open, especially the big box stores, although some of them have reduced hours.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the suburbs all retail and restaurants are open on Sunday, retail usually have slightly reduced hours on Sunday. All offices are closed. Retail and restaurants downtown used to be closed on Sunday but downtown has gone through a gentrification the last decade or so. Some of the highest priced housing in the area is downtown. People with a lot of disposable income living downtown may mean a lot more downtown businesses are open on Sunday. I haven't been close to downtown on a Sunday in over twenty years.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday to us is a day of church and rest, visiting the elderly. Of course, if something HAS to be done like animal care, farm care, etc. that is taken care of. it used to be the same as any other day, especially since we are retired, but we have made a real effort lately to include more religion in our lives, and Sundays are special. I think that happens as you get older, have witnessed so much death, and realize your end is really going to happen one day......

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to go to church on Sundays, pre-pandemic, but now I watch Mass on youtube, so it doesn't always happen on Sundays. I used to alway grocery shop after church as well.

Otherwise, all days are the same to me. I'm a stay at home mom with a young toddler. Once she's vaccinated, I'd like to go back to church. There's one right down the street, and while normally I'd shop around, it would be best for the time being.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't go to church anymore because it ruined my life. But I'd like to find a new church/religion when I'm well and the pandemic is over. Right now Sunday is just another day, but it feels a little different because the week is ending and a new one is starting. I always do hope for a better week!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss going to church. I was a regular early Sunday Mass. Then Covid hit.

I watch it on Sunday’s— I tape the Mass, so I can see it.

I did return for several months. Now with Omicron, I have stayed away. I could have gone a couple weeks ago, but, bad storms hit on weekends.

When I was a kid, I always visited an aunt, with my dad, on Sundays, after mass.
My mom made a big Sunday lunch/dinner. My dad would do some yard work and read the papers.
Always listening to Polish Music, in the background.

Then, as I grew older, worked, there were always things to do — cooking, cleaning, groceries…

Now that I am retired, I do like to keep Sundays easy. But not always the case….

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday is just my other day off. I usually don't like to do much on Sundays so I feel rested before going back to work but I will do general house keeping or perhaps my groceries if they weren't done on Saturday.
I like Sundays as they are more relaxed, but there is that "Gotta go to work tomorrow" dread as the day progresses.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
i never watch the half time show its boring :lol:i use it to make my food or reload my snacks
The best part about the Super Bowl for me is the commercials. 😉

Growing up Sundays were spent visiting my grandparents and spending the day at their house. It seemed like it took forever to get there but now that I look back it wasn't that long at all and brings back wonderful memories. :touched:Sundays now are spent relaxing in the morning. It's a big brunch day here and many people including us like to go out for a leisurely brunch with lots of coffee refills.:biggrin:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning everybody,
greetings from Germany on this wet and windy morning!

I've taken over this Sunday slot as I have a few interesting questions for you - and some perhaps not quite so interesting ;).

My four cats have decided today's question doesn't concern them, so have thankfully left me to make my own typing errors!

Here Sunday is still a day of rest! Most people do not have to work. No shops are open unless they have obtained special permission, no cleaning your car, unless you can do it out of sight of the neighbours, no mowing lawns and, particularly if you live in an apartment, no hammering and banging! So compared with the other 6 days of the week, a Sunday is exceptionally quiet (apart from joyriders on motorbikes and other loud vehicles on the road!). When I was growing up in England, the Sunday Roast at lunchtime was a must! But, I don't care for that now and I don't think that German families ever had such a tradition.

What does "Sunday" mean in your part of the world - simply the second half of the weekend? Or perhaps, for religious or other reasons, there is a different day of the week when life is "different".
Do you like Sundays? I'd like to know!
Sunday's are normally a quiter than than the other six days of the week. Most businesses are open but have scaled back hours. There seems to be less traffic on the road. Especially in the Winter months.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised that Germany has continued the tradition of Sunday as a day of rest; isn't the country largely secular? What are the current reasons cited? Is it just because everybody likes their day off?

It's really the only day I have entirely off. I have to work Saturday mornings and usually end up going shopping then spending the afternoon with family. So Sunday is when I should get all the litterboxes and fish tanks changed and clean the house, etc. Do I always do that? Haha no. But I try. And it's very likely that my yard would be 6 feet high if I couldn't mow on Sundays, lol.

There really aren't any stores here that are closed on Sundays except, as mentioned, Chick-fil-a and Hobby Lobby, because their owners are extra religious. Even the small businesses are mostly open on Sundays, or they wouldn't get enough business. There is a small pet store that closes on Sundays; the owner isn't particularly religious but he says he needs a day off! I prefer not to shop on Sundays though, because everything is so crowded.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised that Germany has continued the tradition of Sunday as a day of rest; isn't the country largely secular? What are the current reasons cited? Is it just because everybody likes their day off?
I wouldn't call Germany secular. Many people pay not only income tax but an income-related Church tax but this can only go to either the Catholic or Protestant Church. There are many religious holidays in Germany, some Catholic, some Protestant. Bavaria has the most. But other religions are still being ignored.
The reason for everything being closed on a Sunday is probably because the unions are strictly against longer hours. There is also a general feeling that there should be at least one day a week when the family can be together - at least in theory.