Question of The Day. Saturday 4th of January.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

:wave3:

I've been invited to karaoke next week. I'm trying to think of a good excuse to get out of it.

:ohwell:

I used to like karaoke when I drank more, but I hardly ever drink alcohol these days and when I'm sober I realise how bad my voice really is.

Do you sing? Are you any good? What's your favourite song to sing out loud?

If I'm going to be singing in front of anyone else I sing Lou Reed's Walk on The Wild Side or Tom Waits' Chocolate Jesus. They're just about slow and deadpan enough for someone who can't carry a tune.

:lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a hard time carrying a tune. I can hear that the notes are coming out wrong but can't make them right. I fought against doing karaoke for a long time.

Finally I agreed to do it if my husband (bf at the time) sang with me and we did "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys. If I recall, quite a few people sang along, which was very helpful to me.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I love to sing. I used to be in a local band, but disbanded immediately before it really even began. LOL.

Anyhow, at my age now I would not want to be in a karaoke anymore. If somebody invites me now I would find a way to not be there, like lying that I am having measles or something 😂.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like singing along to the radio, but Karaoke is hard! I tried it once and they don't play the original singer for you to sing along with, they play just the music. It was Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper. I couldn't find the right beat. It was a disaster.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The one and only time I sang karaoke was when I was in college on spring break. Although my family tells me I can't carry a tune I enjoy singing and don't let that stop me. I think Carleton is the only one who doesn't complain. :lol2:

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Yes, I love to sing! But I'm not really very good.

< cringe >

I used to busk back in the 1980s. It would have been devastating to know the truth: that most of the people who threw money in my guitar case either wanted to have sex with a "blonde teenaged runaway" or else they were just kind people who routinely gave change to panhandlers. Maybe they respected the fact that I worked hard on my act even though I suck; I do have a strong work ethic and understand the truth of the old adage that all forms of art are 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.

But there's nothing cute about begging for spare change in your sixties. We have mental health drugs now because nobody in power in my country wants to look at that (expletive denoting excrement deleted) and I'm not some special snowflake who doesn't have to follow the rules. Jail isn't fun.

So I sing my heart out along with the radio in the car and take lessons from a music school so that I can play the bass guitar in a band. I may not be the greatest bass player in the world, but it isn't a hard instrument to learn and I can always buy another instrument if I get ripped off at the first pawn store.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I can sing. I’d say I am pretty good for never having any formal training in it. Songs I love to sing (or even whole albums) includes:
Almost all Sinead’ O’connor, Jewel “Angel” (most of “pieces of you”) Heart, Little Queen especially “Dream of the Archer”, Stevie Nicks, “Edge of Seventeen” and many, many hymns and Christian song, old and new!
I belt them out at home and in my car but am reluctant to sing in front of people. I sang in choir when I was very young and after I had my first child in the first church we attended as a family 😁

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can hear that the notes are coming out wrong but can't make them right.
Yep, me too. I don't know how to make my voice do what I hear in my head. Someone said that I'm tone-deaf, but I don't think so if I can hear that the notes are wrong. There are probably lessons to teach you how to control your voice but I'm not that motivated to change things.

I'll do karaoke at a friend's house. Half the point is being awful! But not in public, no way.