Normal fur regrowth after spay?

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very non-urgent question, more of a curiosity.

My cat, Maisie, was spayed in late January at a shelter. She is an older cat--anywhere from 4-10 depending on the vet you ask, but I'm inclined to believe she's closer to 5/6--and had at least one litter while abandoned on the streets.

I adopted her on March 5, a little over a month after her spay. Her stomach looked like this:

march5.jpg

I took her to the vet in late March, and she was a bit concerned about how slowly the fur was growing back. However, there is some ambiguity in her vet records about her spay; she was transferred to the local SPCA from the original shelter and they did not receive her spay paperwork, so the SPCA may have also shaved her a bit to check for a scar in mid-February. So I am unsure if the picture above is one month after a shave or one week after a shave.

It is now April 28th, and her stomach looks like this:

april28.jpg

I see some regrowth, but it also appears to be thinning along the center line of her body.

She doesn't seem to be overgrooming that area at all from what I've observed. She and my other cat do play a lot, but he seems to be intentionally avoiding her belly when they play. She doesn't seem itchy or uncomfortable at all. She's a very happy cat.

I've seen other posts on this forum where people say it can take anywhere from one month to 'never' for fur to grow back, so I'm mostly just curious as to what you more experienced folk see in the photos above. She's my first lady cat, and while my current boy and my previous boy both had to have parts of their fur shaved for surgeries in the past, it was never more than an inch or two, usually on their legs.

I don't mind either way, but I just want to know if this is something out of the norm, and, if so, if it COULD be indicative of something medical (or a sign of her true age, whatever it is!). My poor vet fields so many questions from me as it is that I hesitate to bother them over this if it's actually normal.

Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't think there is an actual norm - as every cat differs. As I recall it took a long time for Feeby's hair to grow back after her spay at 2ish yo. It again took time after she went through bladder surgery at 5yo. I am not sure all the hair every really grew back entirely. Depending on the size of an incision, some hair may never grow back in that specific area.

Feeby, at a much older age (16+ yo) had her belly shaved more than once for some ultrasounds, and that took even longer to fill in. As a matter of fact she has a patch of hair that when it grew back in came out a slightly different color! She is a dilute tortie, so some patching is normal, but this particular spot definitely stands out on her!

So, I guess age could be a factor, especially if you are unsure of your cat's actual age. But, I think that you should still pursue this with the vet, regardless of how busy they are or how many times you have asked them for advice. IMO, that is what they are there for!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my 6 month old kitten was spayed in Feb, Her hair is growing like mad!
Her mom is 14 months old and was spayed the same day, has a healthy shiny coat and her hair is just starting to come back in.
Both are domestic short hairs.