Question of the Day - Monday, January 11, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just about to kick back for a bit on the couch when I remembered I haven't put together my lesson plans for this week. :doh: So I figured I should just hop back on here and come up with a quesiton at the same time! :crazy: I need to give my son a haircut and pick up groceries tomorrow; so I might get busy!

I've heard everyone has a "petty peve." Not a pet-peeve; but something truly petty. For example; my pet-peeve is listening to people chew. But that's a legitimate thing! And not that uncommon I guess.

So; what's your "petty" peve?

Mine is women's pajamas not having pockets. A few years ago I got DH and I matching pj bottoms for Christmas by getting mens ones for myself. They have POCKETS! It's awesome! I found one pair of women's pj pans that have pockets but they are super tiny! I like to put my phone in my pocket when I have earbuds in. But I can't do that with any other pjs. I find myself trying to put my phone or spare keys in there if I run to the mailbox; but there's no pocket to use. So it's not really an issue; but I like the pockets in those pjs! :lol:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If someone pokes me...you know, the one finger "tap tap"...to get my attention. I don't even know how to describe how it makes me feel to get poked, but by golly it sets me right off. I keep my irritation to myself of course, because lets face it...who on earth actually becomes angry for something like that....a crazy person...that's who! LOL!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have a lot of pet peeves.
:yeah: Me too! Some I keep to myself because they're so trivial but others I've had for a long time and really bother me.

One is litter especially throwing cigarettes on the ground or worse, out the car window. :eek: Another is in a grocery store parking lot when people don't return their shopping cart to the corral. They could be two cars away from the corral and just leave their cart where they parked. It usually ends up in the middle of the parking lane or worse damaging someone's car.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another is in a grocery store parking lot when people don't return their shopping cart to the corral.
I almost always do this and only at one store: Home Depot. I prefer Lowes over Home Depot, but sometimes I have to go there. I am disabled and walking is painful for me and I have C-PTSD with horrible anxiety. The positioning of the corrals to the handicap parking and the entrance and exit doors is just too far for me to walk sometimes after I have overdone it in the store. I try to leave before it gets to that point because I always feel guilty, but the store is so big! I actually love it when I find a cart parked by the handicap spot! If it is windy, I push the cart back no matter how much I hurt.

Twice, I have had to take Hobbit Baby with me, and carrying him back from the corral is just too hard, especially now that he is nearly 30 lbs! I struggle to get him out of the car and into a cart, so after walking through the store I was just too exhausted and in too much pain to even think about it. Usually, when I take him somewhere, people offer to take the cart back for me. That is extremely helpful! Once, someone went inside and got me a cart when they saw me trying to carry him with one arm while dragging my bad leg and holding onto my cane.

If I start having a panic attack and am able to make it through the checkout, I also leave the cart in an attempt to avoid a full panic attack. It is also one reason why, despite the amount of pain I experience from walking through a store, I stopped using a wheelchair cart. I had a massive panic attack at the only grocery store in our small town. Because of my heart issues, I am slow at pushing myself. Because of the panic attack, I could not think clearly enough to get the groceries out of the basket to get myself out of the chair. I ended up vomiting everywhere and crying uncontrollably. Thankfully, my neighbor happened to be there and helped me. Did I mention it is a small town? Fewer than 2,000 people small. It happened six or so years ago, yet I am still known as the woman who vomited and cried at the store.

Just know, I always feel bad! If it is because of a panic attack, I feel bad for days after!

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is women's pajamas not having pockets.
I like to put my phone in my pocket when I have earbuds in. But I can't do that with any other pjs.
Yes! Ugh, women’s clothing not having pockets drives me crazy! I own one pair of pajama bottoms that has pockets, and even though they’re kind of small, I cherish them dearly!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer Lowes over Home Depot, but sometimes I have to go there. I am disabled and walking is painful for me and I have C-PTSD with horrible anxiety.
I sincerely apologize if my pet peeve offended you in any way whatsoever. 🤗 Perhaps I should have written a disclaimer. I am very sympathetic to your situation especially since I helped care for both my parents later in life when they were wheelchair bound. I realize this is not the same situation as yours but nonetheless it is familiar to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a lot of pet peeves. A petty one, however, is when people drink and then say "ahhh." My family knows that it annoys me, so they all do it every once in a while.
Oh I used to kinda do that to my mother. She told me once that whenever someone just says the word vinegar or ketchup she starts to salivate so don't say that. Um yeah; I told my friends... we'd randomly whisper "ketchup" to her. :lol: She would laugh and give us a mom look most of the time. :lol: I haven't done it in years though! :lol:

One of my friends couldn't stand when people lick their fingers while eating. I would still do that to her in a heartbeat. :angel3:

We've had a few chances to help people with their carts in store parking lots. It does bug me when an able person doesn't; but sometimes you can't tell what is going oin with a person. So if you can help; why not right? One of the benefits of DD being tall is that she could help push a cart from a younger age. (DS still runs into me so I'm not volunteering him! :angrywoman::whistle::lol2:) One time it was a mom with a small infant, a toddler on 2 feet and a very full cart in bad weather! Sometimes it's an older person or someone you can tell is having trouble with mobility. It often takes no time at all to help so I'm happy to make that a habit for my kids. At least pre-covid. I'm looking forward to the day we can be more helpful to each other again!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had a few chances to help people with their carts in store parking lots. It does bug me when an able person doesn't
I don't really look at other shoppers much. It might be a NY thing. Or a stranger danger thing. If I noticed someone was in trouble, of course I would help them though.

whenever someone just says the word vinegar or ketchup she starts to salivate
Why? Does she hate ketchup or love it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't really look at other shoppers much. It might be a NY thing. Or a stranger danger thing. If I noticed someone was in trouble, of course I would help them though.

Why? Does she hate ketchup or love it?
It’s definitely a NY thing. When we travel to visit family in different states there are big differences. I thought people here are pretty friendly but my BFF moved to Texas for a year and came back saying people here are mean. :lol2: My MIL is very southern and when we visit her and go places its like she never meets a stranger. Theres also no browsing quietly through a store. Someone is going to talk to you. :lol: I went in a NY grocery store and noticed no one made eye contact in the aisles.:lol: SFIL is from the upper midwest and hes more like me; friendly enough but reserved. I rarely bond with someone over the tuna selection.:lol: Cat supplies are another story of course.

My mother loves anything vinegar based. We joke that we can put vinegar on just about anything. I even made a vinegar pie once. It basically tasted like sugar custard. :disappointed: Not that I was convinced vinegar makes a good dessert; but it was worth a try.