Question of the Day - Monday, December 16, 2019

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm trying to work towards it! An environmental consultant. I would love nothing more than to get paid to go walk through some woods, find a wetland, and ID some trees and animals. Wetland delineation is fascinating and was one of my favorite things I did in college.
A fellow budding biologist! How neat! I went back to school a few years ago after 14 years working in retail and have one more semester for a wildlife biology Bachelors degree. The research and data collection/analysis really excites me. I'm trying to decide if I should go straight into starting a Masters. Although after talking with my teacher, he was like, why not a Phd? You could teach 1-2 classes and spend the rest of the time working on research. What?!?! So lots of things to decide, haha.

I can relate to a dream job of being outside in nature. This past summer was my first full time field job lasting almost 3 months, with 95% of the time outside collecting data in the field. The first day I trained with another tech to use a GPS map on a tablet to navigate through pastures to collect vegetation samples, an excitement spread through me, and I couldn't believe this was a job you could get paid for!
I actually know someone who studies that and works in it. I think hes with the Army Corp of Engineers now. I lost touch with him after he and his wife divorced; but he used to share about some pretty cool stuff. My cousin has degrees in biology/environmental science but at the moment hes teaching. He has always been a big outdoorsman and he's got his kids out there with him.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd definitely be a musical artist. But nothing huge like those pop main stream artist you see today. I'd just want to perform in small cafe's and clubs. Very low-key places. I write, produce, and sing my own songs - would even say I'm pretty good at it.

I'd also dip into the world of graphic novels.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
A fellow budding biologist! How neat! I went back to school a few years ago after 14 years working in retail and have one more semester for a wildlife biology Bachelors degree. The research and data collection/analysis really excites me. I'm trying to decide if I should go straight into starting a Masters. Although after talking with my teacher, he was like, why not a Phd? You could teach 1-2 classes and spend the rest of the time working on research. What?!?! So lots of things to decide, haha.

I can relate to a dream job of being outside in nature. This past summer was my first full time field job lasting almost 3 months, with 95% of the time outside collecting data in the field. The first day I trained with another tech to use a GPS map on a tablet to navigate through pastures to collect vegetation samples, an excitement spread through me, and I couldn't believe this was a job you could get paid for!
I have a bachelor's in general biology and I recently finished an associate's degree in Environmental Technology (which was basically wildlife and fisheries management). I originally wanted to go medical (occupational therapist) but after working in that field as an aide, decided that was what I really did not want to do! I was caught between doing a master's too, but ultimately decided against it for the following reasons:

1.) It would have had to be online (thank you, Georgia, for not having jack for conservation/environmental science outside of Atlanta and UGA) and I do not do well with online coursework.
2.) The damn GRE. I took it twice and the math killed me both times.
3.) The cost! I was able to pay entirely out-of-pocket for the associate's degree (my mom lived near the tech school, so it was a year of living away from my husband and cats for the majority of the week). I'm very, very fortunate to not have any loans from that program.
4.) I knew I didn't ever want to teach or do pure research for a university forever.
5.) The hierarchy of biologists, at least at the state level, is a whole soap box for me. In Georgia, with the Department of Natural Resources, they get very pissy if you refer to yourself as a biologist and don't have a master's. No, I have a degree in biology; therefore, I am a biologist.
6.) Experience trumps any. Degree.

The hands-on material I learned from the program far, far, FAR trumps anything I was every taught during undergrad, though yours may be different because general bio and wildlife bio are two very different beasts (hehe). In fact, I landed a job purely out of luck as a lab analyst for a local wastewater treatment plant due to the tests I had conducted during the associate's program, not my bachelor's. I start in January and I am absolutely ecstatic to have a job that pays what I should be making almost four years post-grad!

I don't say this to deter you, because you should follow what you want to do, but rather for you to keep options open. Masters and Ph.D programs are pushed for so, so hard, and I don't think it's right to feel that it's your only option and if you don't go that avenue then you're just screwed. If research is really your thing and you can get on with a university that will allow you to explore those avenues and offer scholarship(s), then go for it!

I actually know someone who studies that and works in it. I think hes with the Army Corp of Engineers now. I lost touch with him after he and his wife divorced; but he used to share about some pretty cool stuff. My cousin has degrees in biology/environmental science but at the moment hes teaching. He has always been a big outdoorsman and he's got his kids out there with him.
Oh, I would love that! They deal with permitting requirements and enforcing state and federal regulations in regards to wetland development, among other duties. Yes, that would be ideal!

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I'm like Graceful Lily: I wouldn't have wanted to work for the big record companies, but I would have enjoyed continuing with the busking and open mike nights with more musical education and experience and perhaps teaching.

I also enjoyed textile arts, pottery, and later in life these little conceptual art pieces that were sort of like "Post Secret". Although I was born at the very tail end of the baby boom, there are still people my age and younger who were able to support themselves by their crafts, either by vending at festivals or online or at small brick-and-mortar boutiques.

I also enjoy writing little stories and poems that my creative writing teachers, classmates, and fellow internet forum posters have praised as cute enough to be published.That would have been fun, even though it wouldn't have been very lucrative.

But to be bluntly honest, none of these hobbies are careers nor are they suitable for somebody of my perceived socioeconomic caste.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
~ Not actually a "career" - but I think I would be a very good philanthropist . [/IMG]´
But....but....but....James, you ARE! You are a caregiver for a feral cat colony. You spend your money and your time making life better for your fellow earthlings. Maybe if you had more money and more time, you could do more for your own species, but your cats are very lucky to have you and I doubt if they want more than what you can and do give them.

Hugh Hefner hasn't accomplished that much with his life unless I am painfully mis/underinformed.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had so many career dreams over the last couple of decades. Most of them have revolved around biology or animals like being an arctic wildlife biologist, microbiologist, veterinarian, etc. I have my degree in communications because I love to write and I still hope to write books, but I'm earning my Master's in GIS, which I've found actually encompasses a lot of my interests like wildlife biology, writing, website design, and of course geography.
So the short answer after a long answer would be a natural resources GIS analyst which will hopefully happen.

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know someone who's dream is to have a small farm. She loves chickens and knows so much about them.
We don't have a farm, but we're in a small town and they allow chickens, even a crowing rooster. The rooster is Rudy, and the white chicken is Clementine and the black one is Bonita. Rudy and Bonita are sweet as can be, but Clementine not so much, she'll peck anything that gets close to her.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bachelor's in general biology and I recently finished an associate's degree in Environmental Technology (which was basically wildlife and fisheries management). I originally wanted to go medical (occupational therapist) but after working in that field as an aide, decided that was what I really did not want to do!
It can be so hard knowing how working a job will feel until you try it. Good for you for switching it up when it didn't feel right. That can be a scary, intimidating decision, but so worth it in the end! I was a little similar in that I thought I wanted to do wildlife rehabilitation, but after doing an independent research class at my community college, I knew that was what I wanted to do! It was so much fun calculating vegetation diversity and density data, performing insect sweeps, and collecting and testing water samples.

I was caught between doing a master's too, but ultimately decided against it for the following reasons:

1.) It would have had to be online (thank you, Georgia, for not having jack for conservation/environmental science outside of Atlanta and UGA) and I do not do well with online coursework.
2.) The damn GRE. I took it twice and the math killed me both times.
3.) The cost! I was able to pay entirely out-of-pocket for the associate's degree (my mom lived near the tech school, so it was a year of living away from my husband and cats for the majority of the week). I'm very, very fortunate to not have any loans from that program.
4.) I knew I didn't ever want to teach or do pure research for a university forever.
5.) The hierarchy of biologists, at least at the state level, is a whole soap box for me. In Georgia, with the Department of Natural Resources, they get very pissy if you refer to yourself as a biologist and don't have a master's. No, I have a degree in biology; therefore, I am a biologist.
6.) Experience trumps any. Degree.
I agree with many of these, especially #6! I took the spring and summer off after graduating from community college before transferring to my four year school to gain as much experience as possible. I researched heavily before returning to school, and experience over education was exaggerated in everything I read. My two internships and research experience for undergraduates (REU) all had components where I was able to do my own research. I was hoping to get another REU this past summer, but was not accepted for any I applied to, hence the field work job assisting with other people's research (which was still great!). Unfortunately, there are many students that may not be aware or as passionate to get experience before graduating and it is hard for them. I know people who graduated last year and struggle to find work and wish they took more time to gain experience before graduating.

Congrats on not having any loans! My four year school fortunately covers most of my tuition from scholarships from the school or financial aid grants. It was one of the many reasons I choose this school over others as cost and loans are very serious to me.

The cost IS high for masters/Phd, but there are many opportunities that will fund you. My criteria is covered tuition, a stipend, and if they provide health insurance, that is a plus! My teacher said at larger universities they are more likely to cover tuition and offer higher stipends. I am willing to relocate for school, which is what I've done for my current school and my past two summer jobs, which provided free housing.

The hands-on material I learned from the program far, far, FAR trumps anything I was every taught during undergrad, though yours may be different because general bio and wildlife bio are two very different beasts (hehe). In fact, I landed a job purely out of luck as a lab analyst for a local wastewater treatment plant due to the tests I had conducted during the associate's program, not my bachelor's. I start in January and I am absolutely ecstatic to have a job that pays what I should be making almost four years post-grad!
Yes, hands-on is so important! Glad you found such a great program to gain that! It can be really hard to find a program that offers an abundance of hands-on experience. I visited a few schools after narrowing down the 25 schools that offered a wildlife biology degree. One was very large and very expensive (and could NOT stack scholarships...) but only had hands-on in 1 summer class required for students to take where they live at the field station. The other school was very large and very affordable, but the only hands-on experience example they were able to tell me was they count the eggs of a large bird that lays eggs on top of one of their lamp posts each year... :oops:

When I went to visit the school I am at, I sat in on their field biology class (the field station is 10 min. drive from school) where they used sweeper and butterfly nets to capture insects, use a kill jar to kill them, and id them under dissecting scopes. I knew this was the school that would have the best hands on for me! I just took the field bio class this past semester, and we spent 4 weeks checking for salamanders under wooden boards and surveying tree species, 4 weeks small mammal trapping, 1 week collecting fish using traps, 1 week counting 2 species of acorns, 3 weeks collecting insects and learning to mount them on boards, and maintaining trail cameras throughout the semester. Handling, measuring, weighing, and species id of salamanders and small mammals was also included experience. In freshwater systems, we did backpack electrofising, collecting macroinvertebrates, tested water quality, and evaluated the stream, learned how to calculate velocity and pebble size. In field botany, we hiked a new place every other week in different habitats. One week to collect plant samples, and the next week to be quizzed in that area, including all plants learned previously. In conservation biology, there was no outside lab, but each week a new lab, often using excel, to calculate population, diversity, abundance, etc.

Every wildlife biology student is also required to conduct a senior research project, including a lab paper, presentation, and present in an auditorium. I wanted to gain more experience with small mammal trapping, so my research looked at species composition and density between two areas, and I set 80 traps/day for 4 days plus did a habitat analysis of the 2 areas. Other classes also had different labs or projects included.

But yes, I totally agree how important hands-on experience is and was really lucky to find my school. It's a shame more schools do not focus on hands-on experience when it is so critical, even for getting ENTRY level internships and jobs!! I cannot believe how many low paid, entry level jobs wanted 1-2 years of experience in whatever skill they wanted! But this was something I read about when going back to school, which is why it has been my mission to gain as much hands-on experience as possible.

Congrats on the lab analyst job!!! Especially a great paying job! Very exciting! You'll have to update me when you start how awesome it is!

Last edited:

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about possibly pursuing being a vet tech. People keep telling me I'd be good at it and that has really made me think about it and the more I do the more I like the idea. I'd also love to be an author but I see that as more of a side job, something to do for fun and a little extra money, than a full on career.